Sullivan: Bills' McDermott choked away Super Bowl-caliber season

QCity

53 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Well that 13 seconds was more than just 1 moment and it was one of the all time greatest NFL collapses by a coach. First the kick, then the first play, then the second play, with time outs and preparation for each one, didn't even change up his look and deployed one of the only strategies that could ever allow that to happen. Colossal implosion that will be remembered forever. 

Then we were 0-6 in one possession games this year. 

Then in last year's playoffs we deployed a horrendous defense that even the commentators were calling out for letting Hill and Kelce run free all game and made zero adjustments just rolled over (he never learned from this as this is the same exact mistake he made in the 13 seconds this year). He also was ultra conservative on offense costing us.

Then vs Houston the year prior after being up huge at the half with the game in hand he inexplicably packs in the offense and chokes the game away. 

The first time we made the playoffs we weren't expected to go far, but we got matched up vs the Blake Bortles Jaguars and lost 10-3 when Bortles threw for under 100 yards and Fournette ran 21 times for 57... in the game McDermott yet again turned to the horrific Nate Peterman who threw 3 passes and a pick, as McDermott's odd obsession with one of the worst QBs of all time continued.

Oh and don't forget he has the worst career record in challenges in the entire league... 6 for 23 in 5 seasons.  WOOF.

McDermott has been in the league 21 years and hasn't won anything.  No rings. And he'll never get one. 

He made some great contributions while the team was building but this team is so beyond his caliber as a coach, over his head and out of his league.

All your hairsplitting is cool and all, but the facts are as an NFL HC he's made the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years, one of those years without Josh Allen. His record in the 1st 5 years as an NFL HC is pretty identical to Reid and Belichick.

To say he's never going to win a ring at this point in the road is pretty short-sighted IMO. Are you saying he's just gotten insanely lucky these last 5 years? I mean, that's some luck if so. And if that's what you're saying, I'd still ride this luck lightning of his! 

I never said the last 13 seconds were managed correctly, but I don't think that alone is what cost us the game. I don't think Jerry's logical in calling McD a choke artist either. And I have noticed Jerry has made more attempts at sensationalism since he left the Buffalo News, and he's clearly done it to try to remain relevant. 

Edited by extrahammer
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

All a bunch of hogwash. You can try to justify the inevitable all you want. It's not cutting it here. The fact remains the Bills coaching staff failed miserably in that 13 second span. That's putting it mildly. You can twist,turn, deflect, and spin all you want. I'm not about to excuse how incompetent the coaching staff was in that 13 seconds. They ripped the hearts out of the fans and players. So badly, that Coach McD can't even explain himself or his decisions. Why? Because you can't make Shi#t smell like ice cream. In time, this game will go down as one of the worst last second coaching decisions in NFL history. It's not like the Bill's lost on a fluke hail mary, a Franco Harris type play, or an Odel type catch. Nope nope nope. To add insult to injury the Bill's coaching staff called 2 timeouts to get it right. Seriously??? Yet, you don't wanna hear it just like many on here. Instead you attack the media, their character, point to past irrelevant games, etc...Just say it and admit it. The Bills coaching staff blew the game in a 13 second span. There is no other way a knowledgeable football fan can conclude otherwise. 

Well said!!! And it hurts like hell I no I’ve been on the internet for hours listening to former players and coaches on this topic ,just trying to get a Clue or something so I can put this behind me, 30 years of watching football and I’ve never seen someone give up 44 free yards to go in overtime. And I mean just gave it to them. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, extrahammer said:

All your hairsplitting is cool and all, but the facts are as an NFL HC he's made the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years, one of those years without Josh Allen. His record in the 1st 5 years as an NFL HC is pretty identical to Reid and Belichick.

To say he's never going to win a ring at this point in the road is pretty short-sighted IMO. Are you saying he's just gotten insanely lucky these last 5 years? I mean, that's some luck if so. And if that's what you're saying, I'd still ride this luck lightning of his! 

I never said the last 13 seconds were managed correctly, but I don't think that alone is what cost us the game. I don't think Jerry's logical in calling McD a choke artist either. And I have noticed Jerry has made more attempts at sensationalism since he left the Buffalo News, and he's clearly done it to try to remain relevant. 

Hairspitting? Jeez dude, you get a concussion shoving you head in the sand that hard?

• Disagree 1

McD may need to go. I actually laughed at people who said it earlier - why would we do that given where he's taken us? But Jerry's right. Will the players trust him in those situations going forward? Will he lose the locker room when they face adversity? If we want to truly ensure Allen stays on his trajectory, Pegula should be talking to his captains asking what they think of McD. Because if there is a whiff that a change needs to be made, you do it now - you don't wait to waste another 2-3 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Just realized something. If we miss the 2 pt conversion we probably win. McDermott/Frazier are "scared" of the FG instead of frightened of the TD and adjust the defense appropriately. 

Could be true. Watched the final 13 seconds again. It’s true prevent D against a TD. As if giving up a FG was ok. The two S’s were so incredibly far away it’s unreal. Not bumping and doubling Hill and Kelce is unconscionable. I don’t know how anyone can actually defend this strategy. Over 15 years 62 teams with 20 seconds or less in this situation have never lost. Until Sunday… that is all 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Hairspitting? Jeez dude, you get a concussion shoving you head in the sand that hard?

I said hairsplitting, not hairspitting. You even quoted me so you had a chance, and you blew it. You definitely make as many mistakes as you claim McD does. Have a good night! 🙏

Maybe the reason the Bills lost is because they're cursed. Maybe the reason isn't McD, the Pegulas, Ralph, RJ, or anything other than we're cursed. Maybe that's why we lost the AFC championship in the late 80's, and the cause of wide right, and the 4 Super Bowl losses, and the Jax Wild Card loss in 96, and the Miami fumble at the goal line in 98, and the forward lateral, the 2004 Steelers loss, and the 2009 MNF Patriots loss, and the 2014 missed playoffs, and the 2017 loss to Jax in the Wild Card, and the 2020 AFC championship, and the god forbidden 13 seconds game! OMG 😱  It's more than McD! We gotta nuke the whole team and Orchard Park. Come on guys. Use your brains. Football is a 60 minute game. We've never had as good of a team as we do now, so STFU, sit back, and chill. We got a great team that could last nearly a decade. Get ready. 

• Dislike 1

On 1/25/2022 at 4:34 AM, Greg S said:

If I could have one wish for the Bills it would be for Belichick to coach this team. 

Did Andy Reid have a 3 point lead with 13 seconds left to play and the Bills on their own 25 and lose? Didn't think so.

I was recently thinking that I didn’t recall ever watching a Pats game and thinking “why did Belichick do that?“

5 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Could be true. Watched the final 13 seconds again. It’s true prevent D against a TD. As if giving up a FG was ok. The two S’s were so incredibly far away it’s unreal. Not bumping and doubling Hill and Kelce is unconscionable. I don’t know how anyone can actually defend this strategy. Over 15 years 62 teams with 20 seconds or less in this situation have never lost. Until Sunday… that is all 

This is the coach we are trusting Allen's career with

4 hours ago, extrahammer said:

Maybe the reason the Bills lost is because they're cursed. Maybe the reason isn't McD, the Pegulas, Ralph, RJ, or anything other than we're cursed. Maybe that's why we lost the AFC championship in the late 80's, and the cause of wide right, and the 4 Super Bowl losses, and the Jax Wild Card loss in 96, and the Miami fumble at the goal line in 98, and the forward lateral, the 2004 Steelers loss, and the 2009 MNF Patriots loss, and the 2014 missed playoffs, and the 2017 loss to Jax in the Wild Card, and the 2020 AFC championship, and the god forbidden 13 seconds game! OMG 😱  It's more than McD! We gotta nuke the whole team and Orchard Park. Come on guys. Use your brains. Football is a 60 minute game. We've never had as good of a team as we do now, so STFU, sit back, and chill. We got a great team that could last nearly a decade. Get ready. 

Loser, it's McDermott. You loser

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Beast said:

Polian still left before either Wilford or Ballard were free agents.

maybe i did not word it clear.

Polian made under market deals with those two players a year early(and agents agreed) before they were to hit free agency.

Wohlford last yr on Bills was 1992

Ballard 1993.

Polian was fired 2-4-1993.

Littman nixed the early deals and the result was they then later became FA's.

Polian was livid as Littman undermined his relationship with the agents and denied Bills players they needed. Wohlford was a costly mistake as Bills OL sucked that last Super Bowl.

Ralph was not 100% forthcoming on the firing. He blamed it on Littman and Polian unable to work peacefully together. Which was true and was why they lost Wohlford and Ballard and others. But we all know Polian dissed Ralph's daughter and...........of course predictably...***** hit the fan eventually.

WILSON CONFIRMS 'FRICTION' LED TO POLIAN FIRING OWNER SAYS CHANGE ENDED 3 YEARS OF DIFFERENCES; PROBLEMS WITH LITTMANN WERE KEY

By Vic Carucci

Feb 7, 1993

Buffalo Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. said that his "personal and professional differences" with Bill Polian in the last three years led to the firing of the most successful general manager in team history.

In an exclusive interview with The Buffalo News, Wilson confirmed that the main reason for the dismissal was the turbulent relationship between Polian and Jeff Littmann, treasurer of Wilson's Detroit-based company.

"They didn't get along well," Wilson said from his winter home in West Palm Beach, Fla. "I'm being very honest, there was some friction there. It (made for) an uncomfortable feeling on my part. And I just thought it was time to make a change and restructure our front office in Buffalo, and that is what I have done.

"This change has nothing to do with football, losing the third straight Super Bowl, or anything such as that. Over the last three years -- and I mean three years, not the last month -- Bill and I have had some personal and professional differences.

Edited by cba fan

7 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

I was recently thinking that I didn’t recall ever watching a Pats game and thinking “why did Belichick do that?“

Belichick actually gave up a very similar drive in the 2018 AFCCG.  Mahomes went 50 yards in 18 seconds, 2 passes just like our game. The only difference was that NE won the coin toss.

BB has had some head-scratchers.  Not sure how many remember that he went for it on 4th & 13 in FG range in the '07 SB against the Giants.  Benching Welker for the 1st quarter against the Jets in the playoffs, which probably cost them another SB chance.  His defense against us in the 2nd regular regular season game this year was inexplicable, and he didn't adjust. And then his defense last week was absolutely terrible.

He's a great coach - but not infallible.

11 hours ago, extrahammer said:

Curse of Ralph is still strong, no doubt.

5 minutes ago, Success said:

Belichick actually gave up a very similar drive in the 2018 AFCCG.  Mahomes went 50 yards in 18 seconds, 2 passes just like our game. The only difference was that NE won the coin toss.

BB has had some head-scratchers.  Not sure how many remember that he went for it on 4th & 13 in FG range in the '07 SB against the Giants.  Benching Welker for the 1st quarter against the Jets in the playoffs, which probably cost them another SB chance.  His defense against us in the 2nd regular regular season game this year was inexplicable, and he didn't adjust. And then his defense last week was absolutely terrible.

He's a great coach - but not infallible.

Similar in that it was the last drive of regulation I guess.

There's a massive difference between getting the ball at your own 31 with 32 seconds (1 TO left) compared to getting the ball at your own 25 with 13 seconds (3 TO left) and needing 3 points to tie. 

I'll also note that Mahomes made 2 exceptional plays vs Patriots, and 2 absolutely routine plays vs Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Similar in that it was the last drive of regulation I guess.

There's a massive difference between getting the ball at your own 31 with 32 seconds (1 TO left) compared to getting the ball at your own 25 with 13 seconds (3 TO left) and needing 3 points to tie. 

I'll also note that Mahomes made 2 exceptional plays vs Patriots, and 2 absolutely routine plays vs Bills. 

I 100% disagree that there is a "massive difference."  For starters, 3 timeouts vs. 1 is significant.  And KC traveled roughly the same distance, in just a few more seconds.  They were down to the NE 20 with just under 20 seconds left (had they had one of those extra timeouts that they did against us, they would have called one and probably won w/ a TD).

The situations are almost exactly comparable.

38 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Sorry about the name calling. I may have misread your post. I joke about curses also, but if you’re serious it is insane. 

No I'm not serious about the curses, lol, that was pure sarcasm. Again though, I don't think McD choked. Reading the tea leaves, reviewing the game twice now, seems like they did want to squib it. The defenders stopped at the 40 and 30 looking at the sideline like "I thought we were squibbing this". Sounds like the execution comment is about trying to not throw Bass under the bus. Still horrible calls defensively and I would be fine if Frazier is fired. But McD has shown a pattern of making progressions, I just hope he really takes this loss and overcompensates for it going forward. Communication does really come down to the HC setting that tone. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I 100% disagree that there is a "massive difference."  For starters, 3 timeouts vs. 1 is significant.  And KC traveled roughly the same distance, in just a few more seconds.  They were down to the NE 20 with just under 20 seconds left (had they had one of those extra timeouts that they did against us, they would have called one and probably won w/ a TD).

The situations are almost exactly comparable.

What's your definition of "massive difference" ? KC traveled 48 yards in 16 seconds vs Patriots. Those "few more seconds" would've literally changed the outcome of the Bills game. 

It's not that uncommon to see ~30 second FG drives to end games. It's unprecedented to see a 13 second FG drive like that 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.