Sullivan: Bills' McDermott choked away Super Bowl-caliber season

QCity

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

So, if we won the coin toss would everyone be saying that Andy Reid choked away that game and be calling for heads?  Didn't think so.

There's a massive difference.  If the Chiefs lose that game the talking point is Allen's superstardom- It was his moment and he took the win with otherworldly play.

Instead, our incompetent coaching over the 13 seconds gave them the tie- they didn't need to do anything special to take it.  The touchback and then two pitch and catches like I'm playing catch in my backyard.  Inexcusable.  It's one thing to get beat by an epic play- the music city miracle- or by your own failed execution- wide right- but being let down by such incredible coaching blunders...  Beyond disappointing.

Obviously Sean is not going anywhere.  But he cost us and robbed us all of an epic moment.  Josh's moment.  It would be electric right now and we would be the ***** SB favorites.  Instead, we go out with a pathetic whimper adding "13 seconds" to the history of heartbreak. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Allen just turned in the greatest playoff performance I’ve seen in back to back games, I think maybe the greatest ever on record. And McD wasted that with his incompetence, I don’t see that changing. McD mismanages game situations all the time. On top of that, McD spent a year game planning for KC and turned in a worse performance. 

Agree, however. 

Don't know If I blame McD as much as I do Frazier. He has had issues all season that I think McD stepped in to fix. Like switching up smaller defenders to bigger to stop the run. Frazier stated just stack the box with the starters and that should be enough. It clearly wasn't! 

That entire defensive game plan for the 13 seconds and OT were kind of mind boggling to me. Rush with four and protect the sidelines...while allowing Hill, Kelce to run free up the middle.

13 seconds. Yes, making the Chiefs field that ball would have taken time off the clock and even Tony Romo questioned that call. 

Going into that kickoff the Bills had a 94.3% win probability and I get why they wanted to keep the ball out of the hands of that KC returner, Pringle. BUT, had they kicked short and covered that kick. (Buffalo had allowed only 18 yards per kickoff return this season) It would have taken 4-5 seconds off the clock, leaving 9 seconds to make plays...it took them 10 seconds to run those to plays to get into position to kick that OT FG.

That supposed Bills #1 defense gave up 522 yards of offense in this game. I'd be happy to move on from Frazier on way or another...

• Agree 1

It wasn't just the last 13 seconds. Frazier and McD had Poyer and Hyde playing a soft shell the entire game. Reid had Mahomes hit almost every pass underneath the safeties. They were practically playing 9 on 11 football. Reid worked McD again. McD's trademark soft D will work against lesser teams, but will never beat talent like Mahomes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fan boy '92 said:

It wasn't just the last 13 seconds. Frazier and McD had Poyer and Hyde playing a soft shell the entire game. Reid had Mahomes hit almost every pass underneath the safeties. They were practically playing 9 on 11 football. Reid worked McD again. McD's trademark soft D will work against lesser teams, but will never beat talent like Mahomes.

Week 5 of the 2021 season says "Hello"

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ugh... Watched the live replay of the final 13 seconds. The Bills lined up in that shell defense before each timeout and then proceeded to lineup the same way at the snap. 

The 1st play to Hill you see a Bills coach, not McDermott, waving everyone to backup more.

I honestly think McDermott might have thought we had a 4-point lead…I thought so for a second, watching it on TV. It’s really the only explanation.  I hope someone asks him…

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

Hard to argue with a single word of it.  

Josh Allen has been covering up the shortcomings of this coaching staff for three seasons now.  Without him, McDermott might not be much better than the mediocrities who preceded him…we might never have a better chance…

I keep reading this, but IDK, as I recall Josh was a tad bit raw when he came out of collage and this staff had at least *something* to do with his development. :beer:

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The thumbnail given upthread tells me all I need to know. Jerry doesn't "know" anything. He's a professional finger pointer. He can't tell you what went wrong. Only that it was wrong and point a finger of blame. I don't need Jerry to know that. All he wants is for my blood pressure to go up.

So you didn’t read it.  Thanks for playing…

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fan boy '92 said:

Week 5 was was nice n all, but when the chips are down, how confident are you that McDermott will out coach the other guy?

Lol, yeah that was the I recall attitude going into that game. "Who cares that we beat the Chiefs in the regular season?"

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Then why are you posting in this thread?

It's a free country.

Man i'm not a Jerry fan but you can't argue this one ! Everything he wrote in this article was pretty much dead nuts as i remember it & i actually asked the same questions of what the coach called weather it was McD or Frazier .

The one saving grace that i have seen with McD & his team is that they learns & grow from their mistakes & in the same scenario in any future games i think he will make the right calls because of how much this one hurts .

And that's all we can hope for going forward because if this team wasn't this good or as talented as it is and we as fans didn't believe in what & where they can go it wouldn't hurt this bad .

So as Bills fans we need to sit back, lick our wounds & watch the growth of the coach along with his team and be there with them next time because these guys aren't going away anytime soon !!

GO BILLS !!! 

• Like (+1) 2

Next season the Bills will probably split their close games...have more injuries...finish around 10-7 or 11-6,   make the playoffs and who knows..  The killer this year was they did the hard part.  They came back and beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead...er, except for 13 seconds.  That game was won.  Only the Bills staff could somehow scheme us to a loss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

There's a massive difference.  If the Chiefs lose that game the talking point is Allen's superstardom- It was his moment and he took the win with otherworldly play.

Instead, our incompetent coaching over the 13 seconds gave them the tie- they didn't need to do anything special to take it.  The touchback and then two pitch and catches like I'm playing catch in my backyard.  Inexcusable.  It's one thing to get beat by an epic play- the music city miracle- or by your own failed execution- wide right- but being let down by such incredible coaching blunders...  Beyond disappointing.

Obviously Sean is not going anywhere.  But he cost us and robbed us all of an epic moment.  Josh's moment.  It would be electric right now and we would be the ***** SB favorites.  Instead, we go out with a pathetic whimper adding "13 seconds" to the history of heartbreak. 

Spot on. The only way Reid gets such criticism is if the roles were exactly reversed. 13 seconds and all. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.