Your Mock Off-Season?

elijah

1 minute ago, elijah said:

Unfortunately Addison is not under contract for $2M next year, that would’ve been fantastic if he was, would be an absolute bargain price. 

His contract, per spotrac, “automatically voids 23 days before the ‘22 league year,” and that $2M is dead cap on our 2022 books. I’m not a Cap Space and NFL roster management savant, but in my understanding it’s similar to the Taysom Hill contract that the Saints signed essentially just to create cap space. The 4yr/$95M that was actually just a 1 year contract. 

Ah copy that.  Thanks for the correction.   My apologies for spreading false news.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, klos63 said:

if Bates is our starting LG, no way a 1 year deal for $2mm. He'll find a much nicer deal elsewhere.

Would be surprised if we had a rookie RG starting.

I agree with this "a rookie RG starting"  This draft appears to be heavy on OL and we need to protect our QB better then we have.  I love Brown and Dawkins but those might be our two remaining starters going into next year.  It wouldn't surprise me if Morris retires...Bates won't sign a 1 year deal..in fact it will be hard to sign anyone to a 1 year deal this year since the cap is back up and we are getting back to normal.  Beane does two things well IMO....working out friendly contracts that benefit both the player and the team, and he has a good to great mid round draft class every year (Knox round 3, Davis round 4, Dane round 6, Brown round 3, Singletary round 3) the only good first round draft picks that he has had are Josh (of course) and Oliver that is it so far IMO.  So I would go with the safe bet and draft an IOL in the first round sign Bates to a longer contract (he can play OG or center if Morris retires) and Sign Harrison (another Beane pick in the third round) keep Star not worth losing 3.5 M in dead cap he was servicable this year it also wouldn't surprise me if he retired this year also. Talk to Levi, sign Mckenzie for a  three year deal...cut Beasley if you have to he is getting old and slow love the guy but its time to go...Gabe is good can't hold our guys back any longer we always say we need more time to develop our guys if we don't play the guys who deserve to they will walk when they get a chance.  We also need a TE we can't roll into next season with Knox...Sweany...and Gilliam we need another one (maybe Gronk will give us a home town discount for a year or two to play with Josh and be able to play in front of his home town).  Beane also has to get off holding roster spots just for special teamers (unless they are the kicker, punter, or long snapper)  I am talking Tyler M, T. Jones, and I am sure there are a few others.  Most kickoff are through the endzone now anyways so we need all 53 to be able to have two rolls when it comes to ST.  

4 minutes ago, wagne591 said:

I agree with this "a rookie RG starting"  This draft appears to be heavy on OL and we need to protect our QB better then we have.  I love Brown and Dawkins but those might be our two remaining starters going into next year.  It wouldn't surprise me if Morris retires...Bates won't sign a 1 year deal..in fact it will be hard to sign anyone to a 1 year deal this year since the cap is back up and we are getting back to normal.  Beane does two things well IMO....working out friendly contracts that benefit both the player and the team, and he has a good to great mid round draft class every year (Knox round 3, Davis round 4, Dane round 6, Brown round 3, Singletary round 3) the only good first round draft picks that he has had are Josh (of course) and Oliver that is it so far IMO.  So I would go with the safe bet and draft an IOL in the first round sign Bates to a longer contract (he can play OG or center if Morris retires) and Sign Harrison (another Beane pick in the third round) keep Star not worth losing 3.5 M in dead cap he was servicable this year it also wouldn't surprise me if he retired this year also. Talk to Levi, sign Mckenzie for a  three year deal...cut Beasley if you have to he is getting old and slow love the guy but its time to go...Gabe is good can't hold our guys back any longer we always say we need more time to develop our guys if we don't play the guys who deserve to they will walk when they get a chance.  We also need a TE we can't roll into next season with Knox...Sweany...and Gilliam we need another one (maybe Gronk will give us a home town discount for a year or two to play with Josh and be able to play in front of his home town).  Beane also has to get off holding roster spots just for special teamers (unless they are the kicker, punter, or long snapper)  I am talking Tyler M, T. Jones, and I am sure there are a few others.  Most kickoff are through the endzone now anyways so we need all 53 to be able to have two rolls when it comes to ST.  

It would surprise the hell out of me if Morse retired. He's probably playing the best football of his career, should be in the playoffs every year and he's only 29 years old. Why do you think he would retire? And I'll add, you're not the first person to say that, I don't get it.

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

It would surprise the hell out of me if Morse retired. He's probably playing the best football of his career, should be in the playoffs every year and he's only 29 years old. Why do you think he would retire? And I'll add, you're not the first person to say that, I don't get it.

His concussion history. Then having a kid this year could change his priorities. It was mentioned earlier in the year from one of his family members think like uncle or something. None us know for sure, you make solid points. But he also has to think long term also.

I haven't followed the draft much this year. Does anybody know what round that Utah player Covey is projected to go? He was a stud in the rose bowl. Could be a good later round pickup.

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Ethan……stop.  Edmunds will NEVER be a DE.  Have you ever seen him beat an OL in any fashion?  He gets blocked and he stays blocked.  He has no pass rush moves.  He has very little power (especially for a DE).  He lacks explosiveness off the snap.  It’s really just the dumbest idea ever.  Like in forever.

You are very likely correct.  I was posting what I would do.  Not predicting what they will do.  If as you say a move to DE is hopeless, I would trade him for another player or a draft pick.  I have seen enough of him in a Bills uniform.  I don't want him playing MLB for the Bills.  He has value and there will be a team that will trade for him.  Teams make dumb decisions all the time.  Seattle gave up two first round picks for a safety that can't cover.  

What do I think will happen? I think Beane makes the dumb decision to sign him to an extension and it will be an albatross around the neck of the defense for the next 5 years.  I don't even like Oliver that much but I would favor extending him over Edmunds.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.