Your Mock Off-Season?

elijah

29 minutes ago, elijah said:

I would love to bring back Wallace personally, and my saying to let him walk is no way an indictment of him. I just think in Tre’s absence other teams may have went from seeing him as a low cost #2 as you’re saying, up to a low cost #1. I don’t see Wallace taking any less than 3yrs/$27M, and realistically he may be more in the 3yrs/$33M range 

You may be right, personally I think he is a $8-$10M a year DB.

I know many on this board don't believe he's that good, but he has been good.

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The offseason should be about sacrificing depth and cap space for top end talent. Go get two dynamic play makers on both sides of the ball no matter the cost. Preferably a dominate pass rusher and a dynamic WR. 

You want to add 2 dynamic playmakers or you want to add 2 dynamic playmakers on both sides of the ball?

if it’s the latter, this is some sort of set up post for the future so you can say Beane failed.  There’s little to no chance of us adding 4 dynamic playmakers this offseason unless we get really lucky in the draft.  We have very little cap room and in order to make cap room we’ll have to release players that need to be replaced.  It’s just not feasible without a lot of luck involved.  

13 hours ago, elijah said:

Bates is an RFA, it’s similar to how we were able to keep Levi Wallace on such a cheap deal this past year. 

We have all the control on that Bates contract, so not only did he show up and perform and help to improve our OL, but he was on a great value deal and will continue to be on a great value deal moving forward

No, Levi wasn’t tendered and was a UFA. No one wanted him.  

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/15/buffalo-bills-wont-tender-levi-wallace-contract-josh-norman-2021-nfl-free-agency/

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

OP nice work.  Beane will need to make choices.  He has wasted millions of dollars on FA DL and I just can't see him making that same mistake again.  He got younger at DE and between Rousseau and Basham along with Hughes they have a solid nucleus.  This team played great when the OL played better. The Chiefs spent heavily on the OL and Beane needs to do the same.  I've posted many times I like Wallace at CB#2 (even after that last play).  They could do a lot worse than Wallace opposite White.  But I'm drafting another DB in the second round.  

1. Bring back Wallace, H. Phillips, Trubisky. Try to bring back Hughes and Neal on vet minimum deals. Keep Beasley. 

2. Cut Star, Williams, Gilliam, and Matakevich

3. Agree on letting everyone else walk.  

4. Move Edmunds to DE

5. Spend FA dollars on an elite guard and Zach Ertz

6. Trade out of the first round and get an extra second round and fourth in 2022 and a 3rd in 2023.  Draft value chart Pick 25 = 720 pts Mid to high 2nd is 450-550, mid to high fourth is 100, and 3rd next year is another 100 or so.  The value lines up reasonably well.  

7. Use Epenesa in the draft to move up from the third to the second round - this gives them 3 second round picks, and two fourth rounders and rids them of Epenesa

8. Draft in no particular order - C/G, NT, CB, DE, MLB, S, WR.  

9. Try to snag a relatively cheap veteran DB and DE

10. If Trubisky signs elsewhere, then target Fitz or just draft a developmental QB in the mid-rounds to hold the clipboard. If Allen gets hurt for multiple games the season is lost anyways.  

Ethan……stop.  Edmunds will NEVER be a DE.  Have you ever seen him beat an OL in any fashion?  He gets blocked and he stays blocked.  He has no pass rush moves.  He has very little power (especially for a DE).  He lacks explosiveness off the snap.  It’s really just the dumbest idea ever.  Like in forever.

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You want to add 2 dynamic playmakers or you want to add 2 dynamic playmakers on both sides of the ball?

if it’s the latter, this is some sort of set up post for the future so you can say Beane failed.  There’s little to no chance of us adding 4 dynamic playmakers this offseason unless we get really lucky in the draft.  We have very little cap room and in order to make cap room we’ll have to release players that need to be replaced.  It’s just not feasible without a lot of luck involved.  

I think we can add 3 difference makers total by clearing out some depth.

Let everyone walk aside from Bates and Harry.  Sign/trade for a weapon in FA...EDGE or WR.  Draft a CB in RD1.  Draft a WR in RD2.  

Edited by SCBills

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think we can add 3 difference makers total by clearing out some depth.

Let everyone walk aside from Bates and Harry.  Sign/trade for a weapon in FA...EDGE or WR.  Draft a CB in RD1.  Draft a WR in RD2.  

Like I said. You’d have to be extremely lucky to draft two “dynamic playmakers” in rd 1 and 2.  That’s not my opinion, it’s a fact.  

Surprised more people are not hearing the Morse retirement rumours. Two different and totally unconnected people have passed it on to me. Now of course they could just be rumours. But it shouldn't be taken as a given that Mitch is back. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Fournette, Gronk (cut Beasley), Calais Campbell (cut Star), and Chandler Jones in free agency.  The only guy who will be big ticket is Jones, but he comes on ring-chasing discount.  

Draft a WR or CB in Round 1, draft best IOL in Round 2, draft Edmunds eventual replacement in Round 3.  

He has his ring. Normally the guys willing to take a ring chasing discount don't have one. 

2 hours ago, elijah said:

I would love to bring back Wallace personally, and my saying to let him walk is no way an indictment of him. I just think in Tre’s absence other teams may have went from seeing him as a low cost #2 as you’re saying, up to a low cost #1. I don’t see Wallace taking any less than 3yrs/$27M, and realistically he may be more in the 3yrs/$33M range 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/levi-wallace-25587/market-value/

who knows what nfl GMs will offer but his market value according to spotrac is 5.7M.

the league knows he’s a zone corner that is much for susceptible to big plays when in man.  They also know that we have Poyer and Hyde backing him up while they play in McDs scheme.  He was a great fit this season….but he’s not a 10M aav corner.  I say 5-7M max.

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Surprised more people are not hearing the Morse retirement rumours. Two different and totally unconnected people have passed it on to me. Now of course they could just be rumours. But it shouldn't be taken as a given that Mitch is back. 

I think if Morse leaves then Bates finally gets the gig he was groomed for.

Based on how he played at LG...........I think we will be pleased with him at C.

Morse $7.5M cap saving aligns perfectly with the PFF projection for Andrew Norwell........3 year @ $7.5M aav.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I just said it in the shoutbox that Cam Jordan if the Saints have to cut him is a possible cheap 1 year deal ring chaser. He might take like 1 year $3-4m and some incentives to chase a ring. 

107 sacks Cam Jordan? Double digit sacks in 4 of the last 5 years Cam Jordan? Still in his prime Cam Jordan? Currently making $17M a year Cam Jordan? 

I love the idea, but his skill AND his production level are among the ELITE edge rushers in the NFL. If Cam Jordan got cut, he might be looking to get a raise and still go ring chasing. 

I can’t see Jordan signing for anything less than 2yr/$30M and his price tag would realistically actually even be higher. 

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

How is that "nothing different".

-Keeps the OL starting 5 (and Doyle) together, while adding a RD3 & RD4 IOL as depth/challenge for starting spots.

-Cut Beasley, let Sanders & McKenzie walk.  Sign an upgrade at WR in FA and Draft a WR in RD2.

-TE/RB, yes, similar, with an added late draft pick for depth/competition

-DL, It's time for the young guys to step up.  We laid the groundwork for this coming year in last year's draft.

-LB, the same

-S, the same

-CB, White comes back, Johnson in the slot, Jackson/Lewis as depth, with a RD1 Pick (Kaiir Elam/Trent McDuffie)

This gives us an improved OL, improved WR room and elite level Secondary, while sacrificing some roster depth and rotational talent.

You replace the D-line with inferior players (as much as I dislike Hughes and Addison). Epenesa? He hasn't done jack ***** in two years. A 6th rounder? Basham? How do you expect to get pressure with those guys? You replace Beasley and Sanders, which is a change, possibly for the better. Other than that there are no changes. How do you expect to be better that way?

Edited by MWK

2 minutes ago, elijah said:

107 sacks Cam Jordan? Double digit sacks in 4 of the last 5 years Cam Jordan? Still in his prime Cam Jordan? Currently making $17M a year Cam Jordan? 

I love the idea, but his skill AND his production level are among the ELITE edge rushers in the NFL. If Cam Jordan got cut, he might be looking to get a raise and still go ring chasing. 

I can’t see Jordan signing for anything less than 2yr/$30M and his price tag would realistically actually even be higher. 

We need a dude like that on the Edge to get to the promised land.  Hughes and Addison were making close to $15m combined.  Give it to 1 dude like Cam Jordan or Chandler Jones.  

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Ethan……stop.  Edmunds will NEVER be a DE.  Have you ever seen him beat an OL in any fashion?  He gets blocked and he stays blocked.  He has no pass rush moves.  He has very little power (especially for a DE).  He lacks explosiveness off the snap.  It’s really just the dumbest idea ever.  Like in forever.

The ship has likely sailed on him being a DE..............but an OLB is still a possibility.     I liked what I saw from him on the edge against SF last season and the plays he was making as a rookie when he was on a bad team and didn't yet know his responsibilities as the MLB in this bend but don't break defense.      Put him in position to run to the ball.  

Even if he had been better as a MLB I wouldn't want to pay $15M or more per year unless he was GREAT and it only takes one team to give him a raise from his now ludicrous $13M guaranteed deal next year.

2 hours ago, Magox said:

You may be right, personally I think he is a $8-$10M a year DB.

I know many on this board don't believe he's that good, but he has been good.

When I was saying 3yr/$27M I was implying $9M/year for a total of $27M, so we’re in agreement on that. 

With everything else that has to get done this offseason, I just can’t justify $9M/year for Levi, when we’re looking for more athleticism in the secondary as it is. He’s a great CB and one that ordinarily I would pound to keep on the roster, but in an offseason where we’re tight on the cap we can actually upgrade athletically and lower the cap hit of the position. I think that’s the route you have to go, more by way of your hand getting forced than by choice. 

This is also in addition to already having large contracts tied up in the secondary between Tre, Micah, Poyer and even Taron Johnson now. 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

We need a dude like that on the Edge to get to the promised land.  Hughes and Addison were making close to $15m combined.  Give it to 1 dude like Cam Jordan or Chandler Jones.  

I’m not saying that I wouldn’t give $15M to a guy like Jones or Jordan, I actually outlined that in my own plan in the OP. I think a move like that would be huge for this team, provided that it’s a short term 1 or 2 year deal. 

I was more saying to suggest that Cam Jordan might get cut and then sign somewhere for $3-$4M is an absurd pipe dream

7 minutes ago, MWK said:

You replace the D-line with inferior players (as much as I dislike Hughes and Addison). Epenesa? He hasn't done jack ***** in two years. A 6th rounder? Basham? How do you expect to get pressure with those guys? You replace Beasley and Sanders, which is a change, possibly for the better. Other than that there are no changes. How do you expect to be better that way?

You expect that Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa would get better...

That's why you drafted them, no?

Tre White and say, Kaiir Elam against KC in the Playoffs next year is light years better than what we threw at them Sunday.  

Guess what... We have an elite QB, and the bill that comes due for that.  Can't have veteran guys all over the place... you have to hope your draft picks hit, and continue to improve.  

Our DL tallied exactly zero sacks on Mahomes Sunday.  The lone sack came from him running out bounds 2 yards behind the LOS.  What would you like to do?... spend a massive portion of our cap on an aging pass rusher?  Or should we hope the young guys improve, and bolster our secondary opposite White, where there typically are Day 1 starters available end of the 1st Round.  

On Offense, we bring back Allen's OL, draft some young guys to back up/push them, and then swap out Beasley and Sanders for two more explosive players... one in FA and one in the Draft.

That team seems much improved to me, in terms of what we can realistically do. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, elijah said:

When I was saying 3yr/$27M I was implying $9M/year for a total of $27M, so we’re in agreement on that. 

With everything else that has to get done this offseason, I just can’t justify $9M/year for Levi, when we’re looking for more athleticism in the secondary as it is. He’s a great CB and one that ordinarily I would pound to keep on the roster, but in an offseason where we’re tight on the cap we can actually upgrade athletically and lower the cap hit of the position. I think that’s the route you have to go, more by way of your hand getting forced than by choice. 

This is also in addition to already having large contracts tied up in the secondary between Tre, Micah, Poyer and even Taron Johnson now. 

I’m not saying that I wouldn’t give $15M to a guy like Jones or Jordan, I actually outlined that in my own plan in the OP. I think a move like that would be huge for this team, provided that it’s a short term 1 or 2 year deal. 

I was more saying to suggest that Cam Jordan might get cut and then sign somewhere for $3-$4M is an absurd pipe dream

I agree, if the market puts him above $6m a year, I don't think the Bills will sign him....Dane Jackson looks like he would be the eventual replacement and would expect the Bills to use one or two draft picks to pick up a DB to replace Wallace if he were to leave.

I don't get all the love for signing Gronk, we aren't going to start featuring 2-TE sets. Would we really want to take Knox off the field? While Gronk is a still a savage blocker, he's nowhere near the athlete he once was. Knox is a major weapon, and one of the most athletic TEs in the league. We definitely do need to add a TE2, but more of a backup to Knox.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, elijah said:

I just can’t get behind cutting Beasley. I know the fans assume he’s a headache for the front office, but we’ve actually never heard McDermott or anyone else for that matter say anything. The closest to it was way back in preseason when McD said he wishes all of the guys were vaccinated. Outside of that, the team has done absolutely nothing to hint at all that he’s disrupting anything behind the scenes. 

For $7M, who else are you going to find that can produce 82 catches & 830 yards for you? (Beasley’s average with Bills). Not only that, but without Beasley WR is suddenly a need, and not just in need of a contributor but also our 4th & 5th depth guys as well. 

You’d be going from Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis & McKenzie down to just Diggs & Davis. You’re about needing to add 3 more receivers at that point. 

I think his production for the offense & value far outweighs the $7M that could be saved. 

He got on the bad side of some fans this year, but from a football standpoint keeping Beasley on the roster should be a no-brainer 

I don't like him as a person, but cutting him is strictly a football move. He's in decline and doesnt justify his cap space. His contract was designed for the bills to cut him this year, and I fully expect them to.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.