Your Mock Off-Season?

elijah

10 minutes ago, 947 said:

I don't get all the love for signing Gronk, we aren't going to start featuring 2-TE sets. Would we really want to take Knox off the field? While Gronk is a still a savage blocker, he's nowhere near the athlete he once was. Knox is a major weapon, and one of the most athletic TEs in the league. We definitely do need to add a TE2, but more of a backup to Knox.

I don’t think you take knox off the field.  You take Doyle, Gilliam and Beasley’s snaps and give them to Gronk.  

I cant take any thread or mock seriously that doesn't list Levi as a priority signing.  He will be a high priority free agent signing, and probably the highest priority in our FO to retain.  Especially with Tre White recovering from injury. 

Levi had a very good year...its time people give him his credit.

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think if Morse leaves then Bates finally gets the gig he was groomed for.

Based on how he played at LG...........I think we will be pleased with him at C.

Morse $7.5M cap saving aligns perfectly with the PFF projection for Andrew Norwell........3 year @ $7.5M aav.

This is not the worst scenario I could imagine!

And then they should draft a developmental center on day 3.

1 hour ago, elijah said:

107 sacks Cam Jordan? Double digit sacks in 4 of the last 5 years Cam Jordan? Still in his prime Cam Jordan? Currently making $17M a year Cam Jordan? 

I love the idea, but his skill AND his production level are among the ELITE edge rushers in the NFL. If Cam Jordan got cut, he might be looking to get a raise and still go ring chasing. 

I can’t see Jordan signing for anything less than 2yr/$30M and his price tag would realistically actually even be higher. 

I don't think he gets anywhere near $15m AAV. But he might want a multi year deal. And there is ring chasing and then ring chasing. Do you wanna go somewhere to compete..... or go somewhere where you have a very real shot at winning? 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m perplexed why fans want to continue to load up on defense considering this regime had done it off-season and off-season, ultimately ending up in failure.

Preferably one defensively(CB/pass rusher)and one offensively.(WR) 

If the Rams can continue to add star after star, the Bills can find a way as well.  … I think Beane has to stop worrying about “signing their own” and focus in bringing in better veteran established talent…. Really the only FA they should be worried about is Oliver and maybe Davis going forward considering they already extended the one guy who carries the franchise to wins season after season. 

Copy that.  I agree.  1 dynamic playmaker on each side of the ball should be a priority. 👍🏻 

I know you want to go all in like the Rams.  It’s just unlikely imo.  Long term, sustained success is their mantra.  Now that we have 17, that will be a much easier task.  I’d love to see us go “almost all in” if that’s a thing.   1 different coaching decision likely would’ve gotten us a SB this year with this team.  We’re that close, we don’t have to mortgage the future to win now.  It might give us a better chance, but sustained long term success will always be in the back of Beanes head imo.    

regarding our future FAs, I agree about Oliver and Davis, but would add Knox to the  mix.  He might be too pricey now, but regardless of his drop last game, the guy has turned into everything we had hoped him to be and then some.  He’s the best TE we’ve ever had imo.  Sadly. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

You expect that Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa would get better...

That's why you drafted them, no?

Tre White and say, Kaiir Elam against KC in the Playoffs next year is light years better than what we threw at them Sunday.  

Guess what... We have an elite QB, and the bill that comes due for that.  Can't have veteran guys all over the place... you have to hope your draft picks hit, and continue to improve.  

Our DL tallied exactly zero sacks on Mahomes Sunday.  The lone sack came from him running out bounds 2 yards behind the LOS.  What would you like to do?... spend a massive portion of our cap on an aging pass rusher?  Or should we hope the young guys improve, and bolster our secondary opposite White, where there typically are Day 1 starters available end of the 1st Round.  

On Offense, we bring back Allen's OL, draft some young guys to back up/push them, and then swap out Beasley and Sanders for two more explosive players... one in FA and one in the Draft.

That team seems much improved to me, in terms of what we can realistically do. 

Maybe I missed a specific player named in a previous post, but which aging pass rusher would cost a massive portion of our cap?  Hughes?  Addison is under contract for 2M next year or we can cut him and save 2M.  Jerry isn’t going to cost a massive portion of our cap.  

If Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa are our top 3 DEs next year, we’re in big trouble.  Not sure how you would be ok with that.  Doesn’t matter that you hope that they get better.  What if they don’t get better?  Epenesa and Basham have big question marks still. Rousseau was great vs the run, but his pass rush was meh.  Addison and Hughes were easily our best two pass rushing DEs this season.  And you propose we replace them with Basham and Aj?  If that’s the plan and they don’t get markedly better, you just threw the entire season in the dumpster.  

Changes must be made. The only things different from last season to this season were adding Sanders, Rousseau, and Basham. Look how that went for us. Changes must be made, starting with cuts. Feliciano, Beasley, Klein, and Matakevich, among others must go. We can’t just hope for improvement and call it good. We don’t have to rebuild the team, but if some changes and smart signings aren’t made we will be in for another disappointment. 

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

You expect that Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa would get better...

That's why you drafted them, no?

Tre White and say, Kaiir Elam against KC in the Playoffs next year is light years better than what we threw at them Sunday.  

Guess what... We have an elite QB, and the bill that comes due for that.  Can't have veteran guys all over the place... you have to hope your draft picks hit, and continue to improve.  

Our DL tallied exactly zero sacks on Mahomes Sunday.  The lone sack came from him running out bounds 2 yards behind the LOS.  What would you like to do?... spend a massive portion of our cap on an aging pass rusher?  Or should we hope the young guys improve, and bolster our secondary opposite White, where there typically are Day 1 starters available end of the 1st Round.  

On Offense, we bring back Allen's OL, draft some young guys to back up/push them, and then swap out Beasley and Sanders for two more explosive players... one in FA and one in the Draft.

That team seems much improved to me, in terms of what we can realistically do. 

What makes you think they will be so much better? Epenesa and Basham were inactive for half the games and Rousseau was just ok. If we don’t get some other guys we are in trouble.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The ship has likely sailed on him being a DE..............but an OLB is still a possibility.     I liked what I saw from him on the edge against SF last season and the plays he was making as a rookie when he was on a bad team and didn't yet know his responsibilities as the MLB in this bend but don't break defense.      Put him in position to run to the ball.  

Even if he had been better as a MLB I wouldn't want to pay $15M or more per year unless he was GREAT and it only takes one team to give him a raise from his now ludicrous $13M guaranteed deal next year.

Agreed that OLB is likely his best position.  That said, is Milano capable of playing MLB?  If not, there’s no reason to move edmunds to OLB.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

This is not the worst scenario I could imagine!

And then they should draft a developmental center on day 3.

I don't think he gets anywhere near $15m AAV. But he might want a multi year deal. And there is ring chasing and then ring chasing. Do you wanna go somewhere to compete..... or go somewhere where you have a very real shot at winning? 

JJ Watt got $28M over 2 years and gets injured every time he steps on a football field.

Cam Jordan just had a 12.5 sack season. 

I see zero reason why he would get less money.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Agreed that OLB is likely his best position.  That said, is Milano capable of playing MLB?  If not, there’s no reason to move edmunds to OLB.  

Put him at OLB.........get another MLB........specifically DeVondre Campbell 2 years @ $6.5M aav...........and play a lot more base 4-3.

If Edmunds doesn't overwhelm as an OLB(likely but you never know) then let him walk in 2023.

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Put him at OLB.........get another MLB........specifically DeVondre Campbell 2 years @ $6.5M aav...........and play a lot more base 4-3.

If Edmunds doesn't overwhelm as an OLB(likely but you never know) then let him walk in 2023.

We just paid Taron 7.5M a year.  Most likely because they plan on him playing 80%+ of the snaps. Do you really think that McD would transition to a 4-3?  Idk man

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We just paid Taron 7.5M a year.  Most likely because they plan on him playing 80%+ of the snaps. Do you really think that McD would transition to a 4-3?  Idk man

You say that like they didn't sign Johnson with AJ Klein under contract for $6.5M in 2021 and $5.5M in 2022.

Klein is a nice part-timer player for a $2M-$3M million...........he might even actually be "fine" as the teams MLB next year because he makes up for his lack of range in the pass game with big plays...........but if a better athlete is the way to get it done,  pay Campbell and cut Klein(saves $5M).

6 FA on Bills defensive line

Hughes, Addison, Butler, Obada, Phillips, Zimmer.

WR FA—McKenzie, Sanders

CB FA— Wallace, Neal

Boetteger FA

Bates RFA

?? about Morse, Beasley, D. Williams Klein coming back since significant cap savings if you cut them
-

need number 2 TE

need power RB

need backup plan if Tre’s knee takes longer to heal

Need Backup QB

Need Run stuffing Rotational DT since Star not all in

Need someone to get to the quarterback 

-

FA in 2023–Knox, Singletary, Edmunds, Klein,Poyer, Beasley, Morse

-

Hope to sign our own

Obada, Phillips,Zimmer, Bates, Boetteger, Wallace, McKenzie, Neal

Free agent want list

Rotational DE—JPP, Ingram, Reddick

TE——Njoku, Gesecki

Safety—Kearse

RB——Fournette

WR—-Kirk, Patterson

Center—Jones, Bozema

CB——Jackson, Nelson

OLine depth ??

Strong run defending DT ?? Weak initial FA class

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Maybe I missed a specific player named in a previous post, but which aging pass rusher would cost a massive portion of our cap?  Hughes?  Addison is under contract for 2M next year or we can cut him and save 2M.  Jerry isn’t going to cost a massive portion of our cap.  

If Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa are our top 3 DEs next year, we’re in big trouble.  Not sure how you would be ok with that.  Doesn’t matter that you hope that they get better.  What if they don’t get better?  Epenesa and Basham have big question marks still. Rousseau was great vs the run, but his pass rush was meh.  Addison and Hughes were easily our best two pass rushing DEs this season.  And you propose we replace them with Basham and Aj?  If that’s the plan and they don’t get markedly better, you just threw the entire season in the dumpster.  

Im fine keeping Addison for that price.  I don’t expect a ton from him, but at least he’s proven.   Our pass rush will depend on how well the 3 young guys progress.  

Maybe we make a big move, who knows… but at some point you have to dance with the partner you brought.   We spent 3 high picks the last 2 years on pass rushers.  We did knowing this moment was coming (cap crunch).  

We no longer have the cap flexibility to just go sign someone.  High picks have to hit, quickly, or that just is a weak spot.  

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You say that like they didn't sign Johnson with AJ Klein under contract for $6.5M in 2021 and $5.5M in 2022.

Klein is a nice part-timer player for a $2M-$3M million...........he might even actually be "fine" as the teams MLB next year because he makes up for his lack of range in the pass game with big plays...........but if a better athlete is the way to get it done,  pay Campbell and cut Klein(saves $5M).

True but they also were also paying the QB 20% of what he’s going to be making after next year.  The allen contract can’t be ignored and makes it hard to compare a contract given out prior to the fact. 

don’t get me wrong, I’d love to add Campbell, especially for 6M.  I’d prefer he and Milano for 17M combined than edmunds and Milano @24- 25M combined. I just don’t see them moving edmunds outside or moving to a 4-3, which would keep edmunds and his 12.7M contract on the bench for the majority of the game.   We’d be paying 3 LBs 30M combined while playing nickel 80% of the time

49 minutes ago, Process said:

JJ Watt got $28M over 2 years and gets injured every time he steps on a football field.

Cam Jordan just had a 12.5 sack season. 

I see zero reason why he would get less money.

Watt was a bigger name and he had options to ring chase for less. He middled it and went to a possible playoff team but not a true contender. Look how that worked.

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

True but they also were also paying the QB 20% of what he’s going to be making after next year.  The allen contract can’t be ignored and makes it hard to compare a contract given out prior to the fact. 

don’t get me wrong, I’d love to add Campbell, especially for 6M.  I’d prefer he and Milano for 17M combined than edmunds and Milano @24- 25M combined. I just don’t see them moving edmunds outside or moving to a 4-3, which would keep edmunds and his 12.7M contract on the bench for the majority of the game.   We’d be paying 3 LBs 30M combined while playing nickel 80% of the time

Well,  let's face it they also got lucky that Milano stayed healthy all year............and the fact that they both have to be on the field to run the D the way they want to for every play likely causes some diminishing returns in terms of production.    To say nothing of likely having to chase Mahomes around 70 times per game twice per year.

And the Bills have also been the team to spend the most money on DL while rotating them 50/50 or 60/40 in recent seasons.

What they choose to do hasn't always made fiscal sense.

The bullet they dodged so far is having not paid Edmunds $15M on a long term deal...........they need to keep dodging that, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I cant take any thread or mock seriously that doesn't list Levi as a priority signing.  He will be a high priority free agent signing, and probably the highest priority in our FO to retain.  Especially with Tre White recovering from injury. 

Levi had a very good year...its time people give him his credit.

21 hours ago, elijah said:

2. CB2/Levi Wallace

21 hours ago, elijah said:

However, just crunching and playing with numbers, I don’t think it’s possible to retain Wallace and CB2 will become the first true ‘need’ that this team has had in 2 years. I think Wallace is more than capable of the CB2 job, but it’s simply going to come down to a numbers game at this point. He’s going to have a higher price tag than I think most are anticipating, and a younger more athletic CB may be better for the defense anyways when taking into consideration the speed of Hill. 

This seems like a thread you should be able to take seriously then    : )

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Unfortunately Addison is not under contract for $2M next year, that would’ve been fantastic if he was, would be an absolute bargain price. 

His contract, per spotrac, “automatically voids 23 days before the ‘22 league year,” and that $2M is dead cap on our 2022 books. I’m not a Cap Space and NFL roster management savant, but in my understanding it’s similar to the Taysom Hill contract that the Saints signed essentially just to create cap space. The 4yr/$95M that was actually just a 1 year contract. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.