Your Mock Off-Season?

elijah

I cut Ford, Felicano and WIlliams - saves like $9M IIRC.
Cut Beasley to save another $7m
If you can find a cheaper replacement for Morse, I look at that.
Moss is also a goner

In the draft give me big men (OG/DT) and defensive players with big play ability.
We should be able to replace our expensive rotational players with players on rookie deals to save money for superstars

Bring in a vet for the slot, let Hodgins and first year players battle it out for the 4-6 WR spots.
Bring in a reliable #2 TE
If McKenzie can be had cheap, you can sign him if you want.

Then I spend all the leftover money finding guys on the defense that can get to the QB. There's about 4 rental/2 year level guys out there. Go get one or two. If the FO feels they can swing a trade for an elite pass rusher - go do it, but I don't know who is getable that would be worth it.

I make a run at Larry Ogunjobi, resign Phillips to a bridge deal, upgrade #2 CB, put more weight on Epenesa and take some off Basham.

3 hours ago, Momma Pecoraro said:

Speed. The Bills have none. 

Yes, both a CB and safety with speed.  If Hyde is not brought back when he’s a free agent, take a year to groom his replacement.  Might also add a young speedy LB who can also help improve the rush defense.

Regarding Edmunds, he does seem to be a poor fit as a MLB in a 4-3.  I think he could be a better fit inside or outside in a 3-4 where his slow recognition would be less of an issue.   I saw the lowlight of the T.Hill score again.  While he ran away from Hyde, Poyer and Wallace,  Milano caught him at the goal line.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I cut Ford, Felicano and WIlliams - saves like $9M IIRC.
Cut Beasley to save another $7m
If you can find a cheaper replacement for Morse, I look at that.
Moss is also a goner

In the draft give me big men (OG/DT) and defensive players with big play ability.
We should be able to replace our expensive rotational players with players on rookie deals to save money for superstars

Bring in a vet for the slot, let Hodgins and first year players battle it out for the 4-6 WR spots.
Bring in a reliable #2 TE
If McKenzie can be had cheap, you can sign him if you want.

Then I spend all the leftover money finding guys on the defense that can get to the QB. There's about 4 rental/2 year level guys out there. Go get one or two. If the FO feels they can swing a trade for an elite pass rusher - go do it, but I don't know who is getable that would be worth it.

I make a run at Larry Ogunjobi, resign Phillips to a bridge deal, upgrade #2 CB, put more weight on Epenesa and take some off Basham.

I just can’t get behind cutting Beasley. I know the fans assume he’s a headache for the front office, but we’ve actually never heard McDermott or anyone else for that matter say anything. The closest to it was way back in preseason when McD said he wishes all of the guys were vaccinated. Outside of that, the team has done absolutely nothing to hint at all that he’s disrupting anything behind the scenes. 

For $7M, who else are you going to find that can produce 82 catches & 830 yards for you? (Beasley’s average with Bills). Not only that, but without Beasley WR is suddenly a need, and not just in need of a contributor but also our 4th & 5th depth guys as well. 

You’d be going from Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis & McKenzie down to just Diggs & Davis. You’re about needing to add 3 more receivers at that point. 

I think his production for the offense & value far outweighs the $7M that could be saved. 

He got on the bad side of some fans this year, but from a football standpoint keeping Beasley on the roster should be a no-brainer 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My ideal offseason as of right now..

DE:  Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa, RD5 Pick

DT:  Oliver, Harry, Star, Zimmer

LB:  Edmunds, Milano, Dodson, RD6 Pick

SLOT:  Johnson, Lewis

CB:  White, Jackson, RD1 Pick

S:  Poyer, Hyde, Hamlin, Johnson

QB:  Allen, FA

OT:  Dawkins, Brown, Doyle,

G:  Bates, Williams, RD3 Pick

C Morse, RD4 Pick

RB: Singletary, Moss, RD7 Pick

TE:  Knox, Gilliam, RD7 Pick

WR:  Diggs, Davis, FA, RD2 Pick, Stevenson, Hodgins

K:  Bass

LS:  Ferguson

P:  FA

Fill in the rest with low-level FA's and/or UDFA's

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

Thank you for this write-up, a lot of work you put into it, I appreciate that.

I won't get into details but more of a high level overview.

- It's easy for people to say cut this guy and cut that guy, but in order to do that, you have to replace them with someone you believe is better.  So the Bills have to be very judicious with that which I'm sure they will.

- I would definitely bring back Levi Wallace, he had his best year and is worthy as a good low cost #2 DB

- With Zimmer returning that gives us flexibility to cut Star and release Butler

- Draft a DT for rotational depth - early mid to mid rounder

- Keep the offensive line in tact - They played good enough to win a Super Bowl

- Draft depth at Center and Guard for hopeful eventual replacements to Morse and Williams

- Extend some players and get creative with cap (I think you can convert some of Allen's money to create good cap space)

- Go for the best pass rushers possible in FA - Von Miller has made a huge difference for the Rams - He is available and so is Chandler Jones - Hason (sp)? Reddick is available as well.   Even if you have to make a trade, inquire on Khalil Mack if need be.  Just do whatever it takes to get an effective edge rusher that can consistently get pressure

- Let Edmunds play out his 5th year.  He is nowhere near as bad as many on this board make him out to be.  He is not elite but he is better than average.

- Re-Sign Oliver - he is becoming a pro bowl calibur player and I believe he is now believing that he can be one.  Confidence is a hell of a drug

- Draft two fast and dynamic offensive play makers in the top 3 picks.   Allen is the team.  Without Allen the Bills are average.   Get him playmakers, Look at what Tyreek and Kelce do for Mahomes, they make plays for him.  We need more play makers to compliment the best player in the league (Allen).  

This is what I'd like to see done.

• Like (+1) 2

I started a thread late last night and didn’t see this one. So putting my post here and deleting the other thread. 

2022 cap space: 7.5 million (before cuts)

2022 cap space after proposed cuts/restructures: 28 million 

Coaching: 

HC: McDermott 

OC: Dorsey 

DC: Frazier 

I think Daboll will get a HC job this off season. The best option in my opinion is to stay in house with Dorsey. I don’t think Frazier gets a HC job and although I would like to get someone new, there is 0% chance McDermott fires him.

Defense:

Safety:

Poyer (FA in 2023)

Hyde (FA in 2024)

Johnson (FA in 2023)

Hamlin (FA in 2025)

Not much to say for this position. I think we are set for this year and should not spend resources at the position 

CB:

White (FA in 2026)

Jackson (FA in 2023)

Johnson (FA in 2025)

Lewis (FA in 2023)

Re-sign Levi Wallace to a reasonable deal (3 years for 12-15 million)

Draft CB in rounds 1-3

We don’t know how long it will White to come back fully from injury so taking a corner early in the draft makes sense. Bringing Levi back with Dane for as the #3 and 4 corners will be solid depth 

Linebacker:

Milano (FA in 2025)

Edmunds (FA in 2023)

Klein (FA in 2023)

Smith (FA in 2023)

Cut Matakevich (saves $2.5 million)

Draft Linebacker mid-late rounds

It doesn’t make sense to keep Matakevich on the team when we can save 2.5 million. We don’t punt often and most kickoffs are touchbacks. Like most people on the board I would like to trade Edmunds but I doubt that happens. One interesting scenario for a trade would be Edmunds for Barkley. Giants are in a rebuild and both their contracts are coming up. Barkley would give the bills another playmaker on offense and the giants a young linebacker to build around. Both players need a change of scenery as they are not bad players but will never live up to where each franchise drafted them.

DT/DE

Oliver (FA in 2024)

Basham (FA in 2025)

Epenesa (FA in 2024)

Rousseau (FA in 2026)

Resign Harrison Phillips (3 year 10-12 million

Resign Zimmer (Vet minimum)

Cut Star (saves $4 million)

Let Butler, Hughes, and Obada, and Addison walk

Unfortunately after all the resources poured into the position we still have major work to do here. We need another Big DT in the draft and 2 DE. We already have a lot of young guys at DE so need a couple veterans. We won’t be able to afford a young elite pass rusher with our cap space so we are going to have to try to find and older vet who is still productive like von miller, chandler jones, pierre-Paul or Ingram. For the second 2 end I would try to bring Shaq lawson back on a small 1 year deal for depth. This position needs serious work again this offseason with limited resources.

Offense

QB:

Allen (FA in 2029)

For backup qb try and bring tribusky back if he has other opportunities then look at Marriott’s, Drew Lock or Daniel Jones if cut 

RB:

Singletary (FA in 2023)

Moss (FA in 2024)

Gilliam (FA in 2023)

We need a running back to split time with singletary. I would love to bring in fornette but with the cap situation I think we are looking at a late round pick or a guy like Marlon Mack 

TE:

Knox (FA in 2023)

Sweeney (FA in 2023)

This team needs a TE 2. There are a lot of options in FA this year so that will hopefully drive the price down. The guy I would be looking at is Mo Ali Cox. Big guy who can block and catch and could really take him game to another level with Allen at Qb

WR:

Diggs (FA in 2024- extension makes sense to free up cap space $5 mil)

Davis (FA in 2024)

Stevenson (FA in 2025)

Cut Beasley (saves $6 million)

McKenzie- I would like to bring him back but seems like the way he was utilized this year it might be the end of McKenzie in Buffalo

The WR market has a ton of good players this year which means there should be good value. The guy at the top of my list is DJ Chark. Big receiver with deep speed (4.3 40). He is coming off injury so could get good value. In the first 4 rounds of the draft I’m looking for a slot WR with speed. Another guy who is getting up there in age that I wouldn’t mind bringing in for competition would be Tavon Austin. He is getting up there in age but would be a vet minimum contract and with his shiftiness and Allen’s ability to scramble he could be a nice role player

OL:

Dawkins (FA in 2025)

Williams (FA in 2024

Morse (FA in 2023)

Doyle (FA in 2025)

Feleciano (FA in 2024)

Brown (FA in 2025)

Bates (RfA tender him)

Cut Ford (saves $1.6 million)

let Ike walk

The line player better at the end of the season once they were healthy and bates went into the line up. Keep Feliciano as the back up C/OG. Draft a guy in the first couple rounds at guard to compete with bates/Williams. 

Special Team

Kicker: Bass

LS: Ferguson 

Punter: Rookie

cut Haack and save $1.2 million. We don’t punt a lot so save the money and  he has not been great this past season.

Draft Recap:

Rounds 1-4 (CB, OG, Slot WR, 1 tech)

Rounds 5-7 (LB depth, Punter, RB)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d cut Beasley and sign Gronk with that money.  He’s the underneath security blanket that Beasley is plus so much more.  Red zone threat, great blocker, plus he bring championship cred.  

If Brady retires, Gronk signing here would be fun to contemplate. I don't know that it would work out as well in reality as it would in theory. But, it would have the chance of being a huge game changer if he can stay healthy and he meshes well with 17.

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

My ideal offseason as of right now..

DE:  Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa, RD5 Pick

DT:  Oliver, Harry, Star, Zimmer

LB:  Edmunds, Milano, Dodson, RD6 Pick

SLOT:  Johnson, Lewis

CB:  White, Jackson, RD1 Pick

S:  Poyer, Hyde, Hamlin, Johnson

QB:  Allen, FA

OT:  Dawkins, Brown, Doyle,

G:  Bates, Williams, RD3 Pick

C Morse, RD4 Pick

RB: Singletary, Moss, RD7 Pick

TE:  Knox, Gilliam, RD7 Pick

WR:  Diggs, Davis, FA, RD2 Pick, Stevenson, Hodgins

K:  Bass

LS:  Ferguson

P:  FA

Fill in the rest with low-level FA's and/or UDFA's

So do nothing different?

3 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

I started a thread late last night and didn’t see this one. So putting my post here and deleting the other thread. 

2022 cap space: 7.5 million (before cuts)

2022 cap space after proposed cuts/restructures: 28 million 

Coaching: 

HC: McDermott 

OC: Dorsey 

DC: Frazier 

I think Daboll will get a HC job this off season. The best option in my opinion is to stay in house with Dorsey. I don’t think Frazier gets a HC job and although I would like to get someone new, there is 0% chance McDermott fires him.

Defense:

Safety:

Poyer (FA in 2023)

Hyde (FA in 2024)

Johnson (FA in 2023)

Hamlin (FA in 2025)

Not much to say for this position. I think we are set for this year and should not spend resources at the position 

CB:

White (FA in 2026)

Jackson (FA in 2023)

Johnson (FA in 2025)

Lewis (FA in 2023)

Re-sign Levi Wallace to a reasonable deal (3 years for 12-15 million)

Draft CB in rounds 1-3

We don’t know how long it will White to come back fully from injury so taking a corner early in the draft makes sense. Bringing Levi back with Dane for as the #3 and 4 corners will be solid depth 

Linebacker:

Milano (FA in 2025)

Edmunds (FA in 2023)

Klein (FA in 2023)

Smith (FA in 2023)

Cut Matakevich (saves $2.5 million)

Draft Linebacker mid-late rounds

It doesn’t make sense to keep Matakevich on the team when we can save 2.5 million. We don’t punt often and most kickoffs are touchbacks. Like most people on the board I would like to trade Edmunds but I doubt that happens. One interesting scenario for a trade would be Edmunds for Barkley. Giants are in a rebuild and both their contracts are coming up. Barkley would give the bills another playmaker on offense and the giants a young linebacker to build around. Both players need a change of scenery as they are not bad players but will never live up to where each franchise drafted them.

DT/DE

Oliver (FA in 2024)

Basham (FA in 2025)

Epenesa (FA in 2024)

Rousseau (FA in 2026)

Resign Harrison Phillips (3 year 10-12 million

Resign Zimmer (Vet minimum)

Cut Star (saves $4 million)

Let Butler, Hughes, and Obada, and Addison walk

Unfortunately after all the resources poured into the position we still have major work to do here. We need another Big DT in the draft and 2 DE. We already have a lot of young guys at DE so need a couple veterans. We won’t be able to afford a young elite pass rusher with our cap space so we are going to have to try to find and older vet who is still productive like von miller, chandler jones, pierre-Paul or Ingram. For the second 2 end I would try to bring Shaq lawson back on a small 1 year deal for depth. This position needs serious work again this offseason with limited resources.

Offense

QB:

Allen (FA in 2029)

For backup qb try and bring tribusky back if he has other opportunities then look at Marriott’s, Drew Lock or Daniel Jones if cut 

RB:

Singletary (FA in 2023)

Moss (FA in 2024)

Gilliam (FA in 2023)

We need a running back to split time with singletary. I would love to bring in fornette but with the cap situation I think we are looking at a late round pick or a guy like Marlon Mack 

TE:

Knox (FA in 2023)

Sweeney (FA in 2023)

This team needs a TE 2. There are a lot of options in FA this year so that will hopefully drive the price down. The guy I would be looking at is Mo Ali Cox. Big guy who can block and catch and could really take him game to another level with Allen at Qb

WR:

Diggs (FA in 2024- extension makes sense to free up cap space $5 mil)

Davis (FA in 2024)

Stevenson (FA in 2025)

Cut Beasley (saves $6 million)

McKenzie- I would like to bring him back but seems like the way he was utilized this year it might be the end of McKenzie in Buffalo

The WR market has a ton of good players this year which means there should be good value. The guy at the top of my list is DJ Chark. Big receiver with deep speed (4.3 40). He is coming off injury so could get good value. In the first 4 rounds of the draft I’m looking for a slot WR with speed. Another guy who is getting up there in age that I wouldn’t mind bringing in for competition would be Tavon Austin. He is getting up there in age but would be a vet minimum contract and with his shiftiness and Allen’s ability to scramble he could be a nice role player

OL:

Dawkins (FA in 2025)

Williams (FA in 2024

Morse (FA in 2023)

Doyle (FA in 2025)

Feleciano (FA in 2024)

Brown (FA in 2025)

Bates (RfA tender him)

Cut Ford (saves $1.6 million)

let Ike walk

The line player better at the end of the season once they were healthy and bates went into the line up. Keep Feliciano as the back up C/OG. Draft a guy in the first couple rounds at guard to compete with bates/Williams. 

Special Team

Kicker: Bass

LS: Ferguson 

Punter: Rookie

cut Haack and save $1.2 million. We don’t punt a lot so save the money and  he has not been great this past season.

Draft Recap:

Rounds 1-4 (CB, OG, Slot WR, 1 tech)

Rounds 5-7 (LB depth, Punter, RB)

This is a reasonable approach to things.

I do hope that Beane has a little bit of Les Snead in him this off season and is able to make a splashy move or two to turn the needs that the FAs will create into opportunities to get better.

They need to get even better on defense. They also need another weapon or two to help 17 on offense. Hopefully Beane & company can get it done.

13 minutes ago, MWK said:

So do nothing different?

How is that "nothing different".

-Keeps the OL starting 5 (and Doyle) together, while adding a RD3 & RD4 IOL as depth/challenge for starting spots.

-Cut Beasley, let Sanders & McKenzie walk.  Sign an upgrade at WR in FA and Draft a WR in RD2.

-TE/RB, yes, similar, with an added late draft pick for depth/competition

-DL, It's time for the young guys to step up.  We laid the groundwork for this coming year in last year's draft.

-LB, the same

-S, the same

-CB, White comes back, Johnson in the slot, Jackson/Lewis as depth, with a RD1 Pick (Kaiir Elam/Trent McDuffie)

This gives us an improved OL, improved WR room and elite level Secondary, while sacrificing some roster depth and rotational talent.

Edited by SCBills

45 minutes ago, Magox said:

- I would definitely bring back Levi Wallace, he had his best year and is worthy as a good low cost #2 DB

I would love to bring back Wallace personally, and my saying to let him walk is no way an indictment of him. I just think in Tre’s absence other teams may have went from seeing him as a low cost #2 as you’re saying, up to a low cost #1. I don’t see Wallace taking any less than 3yrs/$27M, and realistically he may be more in the 3yrs/$33M range 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.