Our defense always seems to come up short in the playoffs

streetkings01

It’s about time golden boy Poyer took some heat too. The media ignore how he got slaughtered in the second half of the Texans game and was slow and out of position vs KC.  He’s a solid player and isn’t the only one to pick on, but he’s not immune 

• Like (+1) 2

SM & LF play contain defensive, it often works statistically,  but they have no plan “B” when it’s no longer a viable method.

Shaw66 put it very well, they need to be more aggressive at the right times, it appears though, that they don’t know when to be more aggressive, that and they lack the  D line personnel to be so.

It is my hope that Terry Pegula and Brandon Beane have a heart to heart conversation with Sean and Leslie and insist on some new schemes to counter our D coaches pension for playing not to lose. 

Having said all of this,  I do as a fan GREATLY appreciate what SM has done to turnaround what was a pathetic football team operationally, and installed an attitude and system that has made the Bills such a good team. These are first world problems to be sure. 👍

Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Rivers ate our defense up…..it was Allen and that offense that saved the day. Did you even watch that game?

Rivers 27-46 309yds 2TD. Defense gave up 472 total yards of offense to the Colts, 167 rushing yards and 0 sacks.

We got out of that one by the skin of our teeth, as the saying goes.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol our 3 best defensive players were at the point of the catch vs the Cardinals. You couldn't have the defense in better position.

No one wants to talk about the Hill TD. Poyer, Hyde, and Milano were lost. Again, our 3 best players on the field. Come on guys. 

Milano always gets a pass on this board but he needs to be replaced. Both of our LBs stink.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm not saying they can't improve their defense; however, the path to any championship for Buffalo is going through Allen and the offense. Period. Just as the path for KC has gone, and will continue to go, through Mahomes and their offense.

Agree 100%

Get Allen more studs on O period.... Take more chances on D with exotic blitz packages instead of the conservative crap.  The prime opportunity window is now. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Another thread about how everyone other than Allen sucks.  What’s the point of these?  

The don't suck, but are largely replaceable.  You could trade the entire bills non-Allen roster to at least 15 other teams and have the exact same chance to win the Super Bowl. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Agree 2

It’s almost as if maybe we should be focusing on the office and scoring more points since the defense comes up short in big game supposedly I’m all for that draft Jamison with that first pick

2 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Whose responsible for that fact?  Isn’t a dc with continuity supposed to be developing those talented players?  Whar about being the best version of yourself by buying in to the process?  Mahomes  and Watson were developed didn’t just get great in a vacuum,thier talent was developed and schemes were used to enhance their abilities. Why are we so devoid of defensive upper echelon players after devoting so many resources to that side if the ball?  They are not supermen, they have been beaten by other teams and Cincy proved how Mahomes was very human twice this year, whereas our d got ran over 2 out of three games by that same QB. At some point the coaching and lack of success deserves attention, especially when the O has left the field with leads, out scoring those “ supermen” , and then the D repeats the most epic mistakes and breakdowns I have ever seen in Bills history.

Its not about giving credit to guys who have been beaten by teams like the Bengals , proving they are not bulletproof; it’s about our D failing where others have found a way to neutralize their talent.  When you waste perhaps the best offensive qb production in playoff history by giving up 42 points, allowing a tie with 13 sec left, can’t make a stop in OT with your season ending either a walk off TD , that is a pattern of defensive futility and add the 0-4 in road playoff games, 0-7 in one posession games ( yep , one posession means you had 7 defensive attempts to make one game saving stop and ALWAYS CAME  UP SHORT), proving some of those failures weren’t against “ supermen” you want to give credit too.  

All the op is pointing out is the D failures are repetitive, have happened at such critical times they ended our seasons, and despite some amazing offensive production we couldn’t protect leads!  It’s disconcerting  that our O has to play perfect games to win , because the D to this point has not carried us to any playoff wins. We have won when our o blows teams out and the D is along for the ride in those wins ; let us know when they come up with the game winning stand , like stopping a tying Fg with only 13 seconds to defend a win!  I’m not trying to be harsh , or call you out in any way.  I just think that cliche about the other team gets paid too, or the belief that Watson & Mahomes are unstoppable is a cop out for facing the fact that this defense under Frazier continues to come up small against talented teams. Losses to the Titans, Bucs, Chiefs, colts , and then throw in something like hail Murray previously and this coordinator has been at the helm for faliures that really should have been preventable in the vast majority of the time. No lead , no amount of time left on the clock is safe with this scheme , this coordinaror, unless the competition is against teams with below average QB talent. I would love to see how this organization would do with a different DC, however it’s probably not coincidental  that our O coordinator got a HC job while Frazier went unhired with 9 opportunities passing despite his “#1 defense “ laurels. ! 

I’m not reading that

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

SM & LF play contain defensive, it often works statistically,  but they have no plan “B” when it’s no longer a viable method.

Shaw66 put it very well, they need to be more aggressive at the right times, it appears though, that they don’t know when to be more aggressive, that and they lack the  D line personnel to be so.

It is my hope that Terry Pegula and Brandon Beane have a heart to heart conversation with Sean and Leslie and insist on some new schemes to counter our D coaches pension for playing not to lose. 

Having said all of this,  I do as a fan GREATLY appreciate what SM has done to turnaround what was a pathetic football team operationally, and installed an attitude and system that has made the Bills such a good team. These are first world problems to be sure. 👍

Go Bills!!!

We got out of that one by the skin of our teeth, as the saying goes.

Who you telling…..if it wasn’t for Josh playing at a high level(26/35 324 yards 2TD 0INT, 11 car 54 yards 1TD) we would’ve got smoked by the Colts that day!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, krf139 said:

It’s about time golden boy Poyer took some heat too. The media ignore how he got slaughtered in the second half of the Texans game and was slow and out of position vs KC.  He’s a solid player and isn’t the only one to pick on, but he’s not immune 

Poyer has been a stud since he’s been here.

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Another thread about how everyone other than Allen sucks.  What’s the point of these?  

What’s the point of you posting if you don’t like threads…..you could’ve easily ignored it and scrolled on by? 

• Disagree 1

On 1/24/2022 at 8:54 PM, streetkings01 said:

When we need them most. 

#1 - Jags game - allowing Bortles to scramble for 1st down after 1st down when we desperately needed stops. I know our offense was trash that year, but our defense had no answers for Bortles legs.

#2 - Texans game - dominant 1st half to letting Watson work his magic and kick our butts the 2nd half and then sending us home in OT. 

#3 - Chiefs game - defense didn’t even show up for this game.

#4 - Chiefs game#2 - defense gives up Hill TD, FG on a 13 second drive and walk off TD in OT

Frazier has been the DC for all of those games……McDermott needs to get a DC in here that can adjust and understand situational football. Frazier has proven that he comes up short in big moments.

You do know it’s McD’s D and team don’t you? That’s where the accountability should lie. 

45 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Poyer has been a stud since he’s been here.

What’s the point of you posting if you don’t like threads…..you could’ve easily ignored it and scrolled on by? 

Yes Poyer has been a stud.  Correct.  If my post bothered you just ignore it and move on......

18 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Who you telling…..if it wasn’t for Josh playing at a high level(26/35 324 yards 2TD 0INT, 11 car 54 yards 1TD) we would’ve got smoked by the Colts that day!

That’s what I was referring to…, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.