Our defense always seems to come up short in the playoffs

streetkings01

defense Greatly benefits from the offense scoring early and putting pressure on the opponents Rookie/Back Up QB to start throwing.

When Buffalo wins…it is usually always the same flow to each game.

It’s very rare Buffalo “comes back” to win.  Or they just don’t play enough GOOD QBs who actually punch back.  When those teams do actually punch back…Buffalo also falters.

Buffalo is a front running, bully team.  The bell rings and buffalo likes to explode out of the gate.

Our D-line has been light in the pants and has gotten pushed around vs KC and Indy the last 2 yes. You can’t expect better results if either personnel is upgraded (edge rusher, and another tackle alongside Oliver), or Sean to change his bend don't break, prevent defense strategy. We need pressure packages that get results, not sitting back and admiring Hill and Kelce running freely downfield. 

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

defense Greatly benefits from the offense scoring early and putting pressure on the opponents Rookie/Back Up QB to start throwing.

When Buffalo wins…it is usually always the same flow to each game.

It’s very rare Buffalo “comes back” to win.  Or they just don’t play enough GOOD QBs who actually punch back.  When those teams do actually punch back…Buffalo also falters.

Buffalo is a front running, bully team.  The bell rings and buffalo likes to explode out of the gate.

Actually, last year they came back to win in a number of games. This year, they came back again in a number of games. Allen led them down the field in almost every close game they lost this year, putting them in a position of winning or tying the game. The difference is that they failed to finish this year every time, which, was a statistical anomaly. In his 1st 3 years, Allen averaged almost 3 4th qtr comebacks per year and almost 4 game winning drives per year - compared to zero this year. He was one of only 3 QBs in the entire league that had no come from behind wins.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:54 PM, streetkings01 said:

When we need them most. 

#1 - Jags game - allowing Bortles to scramble for 1st down after 1st down when we desperately needed stops. I know our offense was trash that year, but our defense had no answers for Bortles legs.

#2 - Texans game - dominant 1st half to letting Watson work his magic and kick our butts the 2nd half and then sending us home in OT. 

#3 - Chiefs game - defense didn’t even show up for this game.

#4 - Chiefs game#2 - defense gives up Hill TD, FG on a 13 second drive and walk off TD in OT

Frazier has been the DC for all of those games……McDermott needs to get a DC in here that can adjust and understand situational football. Frazier has proven that he comes up short in big moments.

McDermott was the Head Coach for all those games.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

The Bengals had a far worse defense than the BIlls (and every other playoff team) this year. That second half against KC was as much about the KC offense imploding as much as it was about anything the Bengals did defensively. 

And last year, that same Tampa defense got scorched by KC to the tune of 550+ yards just a month or so earlier.

The fact is, a kickoff in the field of play with 13 seconds left and that game is probably over. Regardless, at the end of regulation the Bills and KC were pretty even in every meaningful offensive metric you want to look at - including the score. So, yes, the Bills absolutely can go toe to toe with KC offensively. 

I never said the Bills can’t go toe to toe with the Chiefs. They’ve proved this. It’s just a harder line to walk and one that is less likely to result in a win. Our defense could’ve won that game, but they failed. The Bangles saw this and had 8 players drop back in coverage during the 4th quarter. They had a plan based on what they were seeing on the field. I give them credit, rather than say Mahomes imploded. He didn’t. They were neck and neck at the end of the game, but the Bangles D prevailed. Ours folded. 

As for Tampa comment, it just proves my point. You can have the greatest QB of all time slinging the ball for you, but at the end of the day, you need to shut Mahomes down. Somehow. And they obviously changed their game plan for their next match up. 

Edited by Saint Doug

Just like our no.1 D stats don't tell the whole story because of some of the competition we played, our sack stats are kind of the same thing, Yes we were top half in sacks.   However a closer looks shows 24 of our 42 sacks happened in 4 games, in 13 other games we had 18 sacks.

It's a little too early in the window for "always" kinds of pronouncements.

It's really just the past 2 seasons.  Last year was just rough because our O was banged up and couldn't keep up.  This year, the D got some key stops in the 2nd half, but it really came down to a coin flip.

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

I never said the Bills can’t go toe to toe with the Chiefs. They’ve proved this. It’s just a harder line to walk and one that is less likely to result in a win. Our defense could’ve won that game, but they failed. The Bangles saw this and had 8 players drop back in coverage during the 4th quarter. They had a plan based on what they were seeing on the field. I give them credit, rather than say Mahomes imploded. He didn’t. They were neck and neck at the end of the game, but the Bangles D prevailed. Ours folded. 

As for Tampa comment, it just proves my point. You can have the greatest QB of all time slinging the ball for you, but at the end of the day, you need to shut Mahomes down. Somehow. And they obviously changed their game plan for their next match up. 

I'm not saying they can't improve their defense; however, the path to any championship for Buffalo is going through Allen and the offense. Period. Just as the path for KC has gone, and will continue to go, through Mahomes and their offense.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Steptide said:

It's that ######ed prevent defense they're always playing when they have a lead. Throw the Cardinals game in there too. They're trying to stop the big play, but they leave 80% of the field wide open and allow teams to drive right down the field in 13 seconds 

Lol our 3 best defensive players were at the point of the catch vs the Cardinals. You couldn't have the defense in better position.

No one wants to talk about the Hill TD. Poyer, Hyde, and Milano were lost. Again, our 3 best players on the field. Come on guys. 

On 1/24/2022 at 9:54 PM, streetkings01 said:

When we need them most. 

#1 - Jags game - allowing Bortles to scramble for 1st down after 1st down when we desperately needed stops. I know our offense was trash that year, but our defense had no answers for Bortles legs.

#2 - Texans game - dominant 1st half to letting Watson work his magic and kick our butts the 2nd half and then sending us home in OT. 

#3 - Chiefs game - defense didn’t even show up for this game.

#4 - Chiefs game#2 - defense gives up Hill TD, FG on a 13 second drive and walk off TD in OT

Frazier has been the DC for all of those games……McDermott needs to get a DC in here that can adjust and understand situational football. Frazier has proven that he comes up short in big moments.

Hey this goes all the way back to SB XXV.  Giants held the ball forever in 2nd half,  converting long 3rd down.

Cincinnati has shown us you don’t need to be a great defense.  You do need to come up with some creative schemes to throw teams off for a half or whatever it be.  Playoff games are one and done.  Don’t need to do the same ‘ol thing that got you there.  The opponents are good and have studied your same ‘ol thing.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

There’s another thread on this Leslie and Sean are good against mediocre QB play ..when they face a decent offense they can’t stop a cold 

That's true accross the league. But there are analytic sites that break down and grade based on competition. Bills defense still grades well when compared to the league. 

Our defense is built to prevent the big play over the top, but it's extremely predictable. I understand that we aren't a blitzing team, but we need to be more deceptive on defense to confuse the opposing quarterback.

We may only send 4 players to rush the qb, but keep them guessing which 4 we are sending.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think of Charles Woodson going to Green Bay also when Aaron Rodgers won it.

There's a free agent that won't get a lot of love around here but DT/DE Calais Campbell would be a great signing for toughness and veteran leadership on the DL. He's very close with Rousseau. We have a young DL with talent. A lot of high picks. Some guidance from a player like Campbell could be a big boost.

Patrick Peterson in the secondary would also be a good move.

I’m not opposed to Campbell or Peterson. I’m actually intrigued by what happens in GB this year too. They may end up letting some really good players go, so a trade for Za’Darius Smith (saves GB 10+ mil in space) or something might not be out of the question. Particularly after Rashan Gary stepped up in his absence. 

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol our 3 best defensive players were at the point of the catch vs the Cardinals. You couldn't have the defense in better position.

No one wants to talk about the Hill TD. Poyer, Hyde, and Milano were lost. Again, our 3 best players on the field. Come on guys. 

I'll give you the Cardinals game, but the rest was just utter failure at its worst 

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

“always”, child? Did they come up short vs Rivers and the Colts? MVP L. Jackson?? NE’s prodigy Mac Jones??? In days of yore, did Elway, Marino, Schroeder, Montana & Rote/Hadle fare well against us?

No? 

We surrendered 10 points to the Jags, yet only scored 3. We were thoroughly beaten in the title game game a year ago, but beat KC convincingly in the regular season then lost in OT in the greatest offensive showing in playoff history. I’d remind you who the #1 Defense in the League was during the longest season in history, but facts obviously don’t interest you. 🤦‍♂️

Rivers ate our defense up…..it was Allen and that offense that saved the day. Did you even watch that game?

Rivers 27-46 309yds 2TD. Defense gave up 472 total yards of offense to the Colts, 167 rushing yards and 0 sacks.

Edited by streetkings01
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/24/2022 at 10:12 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Give credit to the opposition. Mahomes and Watson were superman.

We don't have a player on defense that dominates games.

Whose responsible for that fact?  Isn’t a dc with continuity supposed to be developing those talented players?  Whar about being the best version of yourself by buying in to the process?  Mahomes  and Watson were developed didn’t just get great in a vacuum,thier talent was developed and schemes were used to enhance their abilities. Why are we so devoid of defensive upper echelon players after devoting so many resources to that side if the ball?  They are not supermen, they have been beaten by other teams and Cincy proved how Mahomes was very human twice this year, whereas our d got ran over 2 out of three games by that same QB. At some point the coaching and lack of success deserves attention, especially when the O has left the field with leads, out scoring those “ supermen” , and then the D repeats the most epic mistakes and breakdowns I have ever seen in Bills history.

Its not about giving credit to guys who have been beaten by teams like the Bengals , proving they are not bulletproof; it’s about our D failing where others have found a way to neutralize their talent.  When you waste perhaps the best offensive qb production in playoff history by giving up 42 points, allowing a tie with 13 sec left, can’t make a stop in OT with your season ending either a walk off TD , that is a pattern of defensive futility and add the 0-4 in road playoff games, 0-7 in one posession games ( yep , one posession means you had 7 defensive attempts to make one game saving stop and ALWAYS CAME  UP SHORT), proving some of those failures weren’t against “ supermen” you want to give credit too.  

All the op is pointing out is the D failures are repetitive, have happened at such critical times they ended our seasons, and despite some amazing offensive production we couldn’t protect leads!  It’s disconcerting  that our O has to play perfect games to win , because the D to this point has not carried us to any playoff wins. We have won when our o blows teams out and the D is along for the ride in those wins ; let us know when they come up with the game winning stand , like stopping a tying Fg with only 13 seconds to defend a win!  I’m not trying to be harsh , or call you out in any way.  I just think that cliche about the other team gets paid too, or the belief that Watson & Mahomes are unstoppable is a cop out for facing the fact that this defense under Frazier continues to come up small against talented teams. Losses to the Titans, Bucs, Chiefs, colts , and then throw in something like hail Murray previously and this coordinator has been at the helm for faliures that really should have been preventable in the vast majority of the time. No lead , no amount of time left on the clock is safe with this scheme , this coordinaror, unless the competition is against teams with below average QB talent. I would love to see how this organization would do with a different DC, however it’s probably not coincidental  that our O coordinator got a HC job while Frazier went unhired with 9 opportunities passing despite his “#1 defense “ laurels. ! 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.