Our defense always seems to come up short in the playoffs

streetkings01

I understand rules are biased in favor of offense.  It just feels like Bills defenses always fail in two key areas, pass rush and missed tackles.  I can forgive being beaten by insane speedsters like Hill.  It's going to happen.  It just makes me throw up in my mouth when the first contact or two miss a tackle that turns into a 8+ yard play.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I just hope Terry and Kim ask Sean to fire Frazier,  for the good of this franchise and to help Allen we need an attacking style defence. Those two plays during that last 13 secs represents how Frazier believes you need to play defence.  

They run Sean McDermott‘s scheme. Frazier has said that,” McDermott doesn’t like to blitz” If Frazier leaves the job will go to Coach Washington. 

Edited by popcornpam

42 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Chiefs had 7 games this year where they scored 24 points or fewer.

24 vs Chargers 

20 vs Bills

3 @ Titans

20 vs Giants

13 vs Packers

19 vs Cowboys 

22 vs Broncos 

Let’s not act like the Chiefs offense is some unstoppable force, we just always seem to make them look unstoppable during the playoffs.

....because we're basically playing with 1 LB(58) and 1 DL pass rusher(91)....our front 6 needs a bigtime upgrade. 

3 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

24 vs Chargers 

20 vs Bills

3 @ Titans

20 vs Giants

13 vs Packers

19 vs Cowboys 

22 vs Broncos 

Let’s not act like the Chiefs offense is some unstoppable force, we just always seem to make them look unstoppable during the playoffs.

They had an unexpected slump early in the year, but everyone knows that they turn it on in the playoffs. They are as unstoppable of an offense as there has ever been in the NFL.

That's why they are hosting their 4th straight AFC Championship game in KC, even with having downright bad defenses a couple of those years.

The Chiefs are really good. So are the Bills, BTW.

3 hours ago, popcornpam said:

They run Sean McDermott‘s scheme. Frazier has said that,” McDermott doesn’t like to blitz” If Frazier leaves the job will go to Coach Washington. 

Blitzing Mahomes is suicide. Everyone knows that. You need pressure with the front 4. Go look at his splits when he is blitzed versus not blitzed.

It is clearly time for a change of defensive philosophy. Josh Allen and the offense did all that they could humanly do to win a playoff game and the defense squandered that effort. Multiple times through the regular season the defense could not step up and win a game when needed. Bend but don't break until it breaks just is not getting it done. Time for a change! The offense can't get much better and the Chiefs aren't getting much worse.

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

There are ... other games.

The Titans game this year was as bad as KC and coming off beating KC and letting Ryan Tannehill sit in the pocket and letting Derrick Run right up the middle against every time was a disaster.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

They had an unexpected slump early in the year, but everyone knows that they turn it on in the playoffs. They are as unstoppable of an offense as there has ever been in the NFL.

That's why they are hosting their 4th straight AFC Championship game in KC, even with having downright bad defenses a couple of those years.

The Chiefs are really good. So are the Bills, BTW.

Blitzing Mahomes is suicide. Everyone knows that. You need pressure with the front 4. Go look at his splits when he is blitzed versus not blitzed.

It worked for Brian Flores in the playoffs.

59 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

It is clearly time for a change of defensive philosophy. Josh Allen and the offense did all that they could humanly do to win a playoff game and the defense squandered that effort. Multiple times through the regular season the defense could not step up and win a game when needed. Bend but don't break until it breaks just is not getting it done. Time for a change! The offense can't get much better and the Chiefs aren't getting much worse.

Welcome aboard!

The entire scheme has to go and I’m not sure how that happens without firing McD. There will have to be an ultimatum. McD needs to be “hands off” the defense entirely or we’ll get the same result next year. 

Josh will come first over the coaches. They are no longer safe.

Its either change the scheme and hire a new DC, or be fired. I think he knows it too.

Edited by Governor

7 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

24 vs Chargers 

20 vs Bills

3 @ Titans

20 vs Giants

13 vs Packers

19 vs Cowboys 

22 vs Broncos 

Yeah most if not all those teams play primarily man coverage. I feel like we need a high level speed guy at CB with some zone ability.

2 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Yeah most if not all those teams play primarily man coverage. I feel like we need a high level speed guy at CB with some zone ability.

Tre is definitely not Ronde Barber. I would entertain some trade offers. It’s all about Josh now. Noting is off the table.

the big issues is our d has the most money, picks, and focus from hc, but they blow when the chips are down

our dl, highest paid!! makes zero plays.  our secondary is solid, but we lack a top flight corner when tre is out, and our lbs turn into orange cones too often.

i think frazier just isn't good enough, and needs to be upgraded.  we also have to re shuffle how we've built this paper tiger d

Overvalued players that are  effective against average offenses but cannot impose their will on top QB driven teams are the culprits. Our edge rushers are pedestrian and get no pressure in rush 4 scenarios. The corners lack depth and when White goes down,they're only average. The LBs are good but they are not involved in pressure packages enough to wreck a game,like Tampa,SF, NE. With Josh most games we'll have enough offense to overcome any deficiencies, but against teams we must beat later in the playoffs, game changing plays on defense will be necessary. 

And I got plenty of pushbacks, eyerolls and vomit emojis anytime I questioned the defense and said anything about third & fourth down conversions.  Heck think I had a thread last week and was told how little I knew.

KC is a great offense, however the final 13 seconds was an epic fail (and OT), along with a couple of third down conversions.

One great play on third & one, where Reid tried to get too cute was pretty much all they did. 

2 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Overvalued players that are  effective against average offenses but cannot impose their will on top QB driven teams are the culprits. Our edge rushers are pedestrian and get no pressure in rush 4 scenarios. The corners lack depth and when White goes down,they're only average. The LBs are good but they are not involved in pressure packages enough to wreck a game,like Tampa,SF, NE. With Josh most games we'll have enough offense to overcome any deficiencies, but against teams we must beat later in the playoffs, game changing plays on defense will be necessary. 

I don't think you need game changing plays to defend during the last 13 seconds!!!!!!😡

Being an ‘old timer’ this reminds me of the Super Bowl era. Our offense was clicking on all cylinders but our defense was just too small and didn’t hit anybody! At that time we had a safety that wore special padding on his helmet.  The difference now is that we keep losing to the best team BEFORE we get to the Super Bowl. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.