Our defense always seems to come up short in the playoffs

streetkings01

When we need them most. 

#1 - Jags game - allowing Bortles to scramble for 1st down after 1st down when we desperately needed stops. I know our offense was trash that year, but our defense had no answers for Bortles legs.

#2 - Texans game - dominant 1st half to letting Watson work his magic and kick our butts the 2nd half and then sending us home in OT. 

#3 - Chiefs game - defense didn’t even show up for this game.

#4 - Chiefs game#2 - defense gives up Hill TD, FG on a 13 second drive and walk off TD in OT

Frazier has been the DC for all of those games……McDermott needs to get a DC in here that can adjust and understand situational football. Frazier has proven that he comes up short in big moments.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

When we need them most. 

#1 - Jags game - allowing Bortles to scramble for 1st down after 1st down when we desperately needed stops. I know our offense was trash that year, but our defense had no answers for Bortles legs.

#2 - Texans game - dominant 1st half to letting Watson work his magic and kick our butts the 2nd half and then sending us home in OT. 

#4 - Chiefs game#2 - defense gives up Hill TD, FG on a 13 second drive and walk off TD in OT

Frazier has been the DC for all of those games……McDermott needs to get a DC in here that can adjust and understand situational football. Frazier has proven that he comes up short in big moments.

There are ... other games.

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

So Allen is 0-3 in playoffs?

I’m confused where you’re going with this question. 

I pointed out that our defense seems to come up short in the playoffs when we needed them the most. Our 4 losses the defense had opportunities to outright win the game or give us an opportunity to win the game and they came up short every single time.

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

There are ... other games.

Ok, I’ll play..

Indy, in which Rivers diced us up but we won.  

Baltimore in a wind tunnel (but I’ll give him credit for that game as we’ve done well against Lamar)

Patriots with Mac Jones.  

Mixed bag, but overall not very impressive - especially when you take into account the investments made on his side of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

When we need them most. 

I just hope Terry and Kim ask Sean to fire Frazier,  for the good of this franchise and to help Allen we need an attacking style defence. Those two plays during that last 13 secs represents how Frazier believes you need to play defence.  

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Ok, I’ll play..

Indy, in which Rivers diced us up but we won.  

Baltimore in a wind tunnel (but I’ll give him credit for that game as we’ve done well against Lamar)

Patriots with Mac Jones.  

Mixed bag, but overall not very impressive - especially when you take into account the investments made on his side of the ball. 

Do you understand what “when we needed them most” means? That Colts game the offense was able to do just enough to get us the victory……Ravens game was just he best defensive performance he’s coached in the playoffs. The Patriots game the defense wasn’t needed……everyone knew they couldn’t keep up with us.

3 of those 4 playoff losses we needed the defense to step up and play championship caliber…….they failed every single time!

26 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

When we need them most. 

Can't fault you there... our defense needs new leadership, that's for sure.

We need a defense to beat the very best, not just one to make the regular season stats look pretty. Until we have a defense that can beat Mahomes, we are not going to have a defense worthy of our offense.

Just now, streetkings01 said:

Do you understand what “when we needed them most” means? That Colts game the offense was able to do just enough to get us the victory……Ravens game was just he best defensive performance he’s coached in the playoffs. The Patriots game the defense wasn’t needed……everyone knew they couldn’t keep up with us.

3 of those 4 playoff losses we needed the defense to step up and play championship caliber…….they failed every single time!

I actually agree with you.   You’re misreading the intention of my post.  I want Frazier gone. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

List all the NFL defenses that outclass the team speed of the Chiefs offense. I’ll wait.....

Chiefs had 7 games this year where they scored 24 points or fewer.

24 vs Chargers 

20 vs Bills

3 @ Titans

20 vs Giants

13 vs Packers

19 vs Cowboys 

22 vs Broncos 

Let’s not act like the Chiefs offense is some unstoppable force, we just always seem to make them look unstoppable during the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Chiefs had 7 games this year where they scored 24 points or fewer.

24 vs Chargers 

20 vs Bills

3 @ Titans

20 vs Giants

13 vs Packers

19 vs Cowboys 

22 vs Broncos 

Let’s not act like the Chiefs offense is some unstoppable force, we just always seem to make them look unstoppable during the playoffs.

So they’re inconsistent like most NFL teams. The Bills game plan and their own lack of offense in last years playoffs contributed. When they’re on, not many teams ( if any) have a player to cover Hill or Kelce. You need to rally to the ball and make form tackles if you play the style the Bills defense does. They didn’t do that particularly well but you really need to beat the Chiefs with offense. The Bills did that and a better plan would have killed off the 13 seconds. Could the Bills get better on defense ? Sure but make every effort to improve the offense even more. Chances are in the playoffs you are going to get a teams best. That happened last night. Better coaching wins this game. 

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

2020 SB champs…. Thanks to a decimated Chiefs offensive line.😅

Still there is no question the Bills defense looks slow as ***** whenever they play the Chiefs…. They seemed much more aggressive in the week 5 match up. 

I agree the plan seemed more aggressive in October. I’m guessing Andy Reid would destroy that plan if you did the same things again . Maybe the Bills coaches were less comfortable without White at CB. Kelce seemed to move around a lot more than he did in October. Anyway, Josh Allen was the Bills meal ticket here and he performed. This really came down to a bad plan to manage the final seconds. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.