The myth that the Bills roster is better than the Chiefs

Hermes

All week I've heard from countless posters here and national pundits saying that the Bills have the better roster top down. Watching the game Sunday got me thinking. Where exactly are the Bills better than the Chiefs.

RB- KC

WR- push

TE- KC

OL- push (leaning KC)

DL- push (leaning KC)

LB- KC (unless you're an Edmunds truther)

CB- push (without Tre)

S- Bills

So what else does that leave? Oh yeah..

QB- Bills (by a billion)

People subconsciously have put Mahomes leagues ahead of Allen and therefore put the rest of KC down in terms of talent. When realistically the opposite is true. Not to say that he, Mahomes, isn't a great QB(from a talent perspective), he clearly is (not even mentioning the accolades he's accumulated). But It's just so obvious how much more Allen does for the Bills than Mahomes does for the Chiefs. If you swap teams I can almost guarantee that Allen has more success than Mahomes. (Although without the adversity he's faced would Allen be the QB he is today?)

Look at team defense for example, the Chiefs have had a better defense than the Bills, or any team for that matter, since week 5(?), is what they've been saying anyway, and Allen shredded them.  Just like Mahomes shredded the Bills(without Tre). On top of the fact that the Chiefs before Mahomes had already been established as a contender in the league with Alex Smith at QB. The team around him has always been loaded and people seem to disregard that that since he's the league darling, an über-talented wunderkind. 

Just a little perspective, unless you don't like objectivity. If you disagree I'd love for you to break down the rosters for me player by player or group by group, prove me wrong.

Allen elevates the Bills more than Mahomes does the Chiefs and it isn't particularly close.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Who the hell thinks that?

Mahomes has two of the fastest WRs in the league, a top 3 TE of all time, and arguably the best offensive coach in football. 

The Bills group of skill position players are average at best. 

Must be nice to have multiple guys on offense that can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. 

Allen does more with a lot less. There is zero doubt that he is the best player in the league imo. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Process said:

Mahomes has two of the fastest WRs in the league, a top 3 TE of all time, and arguably the best offensive coach in football. 

Must be nice to have multiple guys on offense that can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. 

Allen does more with a lot less. There is zero doubt that he is the best player in the league imo. 

Surprisingly a lot of people. Leading up to the game I heard multiple commentators say this, when they picked the Bills to win, as well as reading it on the board a number of times. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Thank you (+1) 1

Some fans here overestimate our high end talent.  

What we had this year was an incredibly strong 1-53.  Depth and rotational talent was all top notch.  

What we don’t have is high end talent.  That needs to change.  

Allen is the ultimate high end talent.  After Allen, the only game wreckers we have are Diggs and White.   White down for the year so we went into KC with just Allen and Diggs with that label.  

KC had Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones and made the move mid-season for Ingram.  

Both teams had good OL’s.  

KC has more holes, ie Sorenson playing meaningful snaps even with Mathieu , Deandre Baker as first DB off the bench… but high end talent wins. 

And Josh Allen, even facing all that, won the game.   ….until our coaches gave it away.  

Get this dude another game breaker on Offense.   

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hermes said:

All week I've heard from countless posters here and national pundits saying that the Bills have the better roster top down. Watching the game Sunday got me thinking. Where exactly are the Bills better than the Chiefs.

RB- KC

WR- push

TE- KC

OL- push (leaning KC)

DL- push (leaning KC)

CB- push (without Tre)

S- Bills

QB- Bills (by a billion)

People subconsciously have put Mahomes leagues ahead of Allen and therefore put the rest of KC down in terms of talent. When realistically the opposite is true. Not to say that he, Mahomes, isn't a great QB(from a talent perspective), he clearly is (not even mentioning the accolades he's accumulated). But It's just so obvious how much more Allen does for the Bills than Mahomes does for the Chiefs. If you swap teams I can almost guarantee that Allen has more success than Mahomes. (Although without the adversity he's faced would Allen be the QB he is today?)

Look at team defense for example, the Chiefs have had a better defense than the Bills, or any team for that matter, since week 5(?), is what they've been saying anyway, and Allen shredded them.  Just like Mahomes shredded the Bills(without Tre). On top of the fact that the Chiefs before Mahomes had already been established as a contender in the league with Alex Smith at QB. The team around him has always been loaded and people seem to disregard that that since he's the league darling, an über-talented wunderkind. 

Just a little perspective, unless you don't like objectivity. If you disagree I'd love for you to break down the rosters for me player by player or group by group, prove me wrong.

Allen elevates the Bills more than Mahomes does the Chiefs and it isn't particularly close.

I'd put it like this:

QB- KC (but very close)

RB- Push

WR- Push (but Bills have more depth)

TE- KC

OL- KC

DL- KC

LB- KC

CB- Bills

S- Bills

And of course Coaching, which KC has the advantage on.

If anyone thought the Bills were decidedly better than KC, they were just overconfident and maybe ignorant about Kansas City. They are legit one of the top 2 teams in the league, maybe the top team. They definately have the top offense by far.

I felt 50/50 about this game, at best. I knew in order to beat them we would have to have an insane game either on offense or on defense. We didn't quite get there, but it was so close. Josh willed his team forward and was clutch down the stretch, but it wasn't enough because the defense could not come through when we needed them to.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Some fans here overestimate our high end talent.  

What we had this year was an incredibly strong 1-53.  Depth and rotational talent was all top notch.  

What we don’t have is high end talent.  That needs to change.  

Allen is the ultimate high end talent.  After Allen, the only game wreckers we have are Diggs and White.   White down for the year so we went into KC with just Allen and Diggs with that label.  

KC had Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones and made the move mid-season for Ingram.  

Both teams had good OL’s.  

KC has more holes, ie Sorenson playing meaningful snaps even with Mathieu , Deandre Baker as first DB off the bench… but high end talent wins. 

And Josh Allen, even facing all that, won the game.   ….until our coaches gave it away.  

Get this dude another game breaker on Offense.   

I couldn't agree more on both accounts. I'm excited to see what this offseason will bring even though we'll likely lose a few players to FA and cap constraints. I'm not sure where the strengths of this draft class are but the Bills could go WR/CB in the first and second and I'd be happy. Add an IOL in the third and the fastest offensive player in the fourth then just draft high RAS guys on D the rest of the way

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'd put it like this:

QB- KC (but very close)

RB- Push

TE- KC

OL- KC

DL- KC

LB- KC

CB- Bills

S- Bills

If anyone thought the Bills were decidedly better than KC, they were just overconfident and maybe ignorant about Kansas City. They are legit one of the top 2 teams in the league, maybe the top team. They definately have the top offense by far.

I felt 50/50 about this game, at best. I knew in order to beat them we would have to have an insane game either on offense or on defense. We didn't quite get there, but it was so close. Josh willed his team forward and was clutch down the stretch, but it wasn't enough because the defense could not come through when we needed them to.

this is fair. I think QB is a push, and I think edwards-helaire is a little better than singletary. As for CB, minus White I think they're a push.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Process said:

Are our skill players average, or is it that they aren’t as fast as the Chiefs?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'd put it like this:

QB- KC (but very close)

RB- Push

TE- KC

OL- KC

DL- KC

LB- KC

CB- Bills

S- Bills

The Bills D actually matches up pretty well with the Chiefs but the DL just couldn't get home. They had a good pressure on Mahomes the whole game but he slipped out and made them pay consistently. The number of times I thought they were gonna bring him down only to see him run for chunk yards or hit someone down field is what got me the most fired up watching the game

18 minutes ago, Hermes said:

Surprisingly a lot of people. Leading up to the game I heard multiple commentators say this, when they picked the Bills to win, as well as reading it on the board a number of times. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Most people who picked the Bills did it because of Josh. They thought he could make up the difference in talent, because he was so special. And he ALMOST did. No question who has better weapons (NOT us), and our OL struggled most of the year. 

8 minutes ago, Hermes said:

I couldn't agree more on both accounts. I'm excited to see what this offseason will bring even though we'll likely lose a few players to FA and cap constraints. I'm not sure where the strengths of this draft class are but the Bills could go WR/CB in the first and second and I'd be happy. Add an IOL in the third and the fastest offensive player in the fourth then just draft high RAS guys on D the rest of the way

A guy like Jameson Williams, who could drop to us with the ACL, would put us on par with KC.  

Diggs and Davis on the outside with Knox at TE and Williams in the Slot would be filthy.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, streetkings01 said:

Why do people think CEH is good? He’s an average RB his 1st 2 seasons thus far.

He’s not.  He’s basically Singletary drafted two rounds earlier.   McKinnon is their best back who, as usual, they somehow get for nothing.  Which is why you don’t draft RB’s high in the modern NFL.  

Two best offenses in league trotting out Singletary vs McKinnon. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Most people who picked the Bills did it because of Josh. They thought he could make up the difference in talent, because he was so special. And he ALMOST did. No question who has better weapons (NOT us), and our OL struggled most of the year. 

The Bills OL really came on strong the last few weeks of the regular season, which to me puts less emphasis on 'fixing' it when it comes to team building. Do you think the Bills should put more focus on stopping the KC playmakers or adding weapons of their own?

43 minutes ago, Hermes said:

RB- KC

WR- push

TE- KC

OL- push (leaning KC)

DL- push (leaning KC)

CB- push (without Tre)

S- Bills

QB- Bills (by a billion)

This collection of takes is awful and wrong at nearly every level.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

He’s not.  He’s basically Singletary drafted two rounds earlier.   McKinnon is their best back who, as usual, they somehow get for nothing.  Which is why you don’t draft RB’s high in the modern NFL.  

Two best offenses in league trotting out Singletary vs McKinnon. 

It's so crazy that KC and the Pats, in their prime, always manage to find players like that. Did Pittsburgh really need to get rid of Ingram that bad!? I'm sure another team would've thrown in a bag of balls or something,  if I was Beane I'd have given them an extra pick not to trade him to the Chiefs

Actually, i watched a bunch of daytime sports shows during the week leading up to the game and kinda’ felt like the talking heads had moved past Mahomes.  I wouldn’t say disrespected but Allen was definitely put up there even or ahead as a QB.  I’m sure Patrick wanted to show the world he’s still the man.  I thought he was great in this game, unfortunately.  

Maybe the world has Chiefs fatigue. I know I do.  But until someone dethrones them, they are the AFC’s best.

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.