Upon further review...was Bass supposed to pop the kick up?

Hebert19

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

When Bass was kicking it down to the 5-yard line he was taking a 3-yard approach. Yesterday was the usual seven yards and you could see that he was trying to kick it out of the end zone. And Pringle was back to receive not Hill.

How about someone asking Bass?

Just look at the kick there was no chance he was going to 5-yard line.

And then still all they had to do was stop two plays.  Epic failure.

Agree.  But could have been miscommunication too.  

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Why is McDermott not answering questions about the kick ?

Bills fans deserve to know !!!

Not if our knowing hurts the team going forward.  Say what you will but this aspect of the Bean/McD culture is admirable and only works to the benefit of the team.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, skibum said:

I don't think so. Bass is pretty good at dropping balls inside the 5 - I remember the Bills doing it a lot this season. He wasn't holding anything back on that kick, he gave 'er the boot. 

On further review, I can understand why they decided to do it. It's a certain outcome that (should have been) very manageable for the defense. The finesse kicks can go horribly wrong once in a while. 

I think you are right. It was fully the intention to kick it dead and start at the 25 and the reason for that was the certainty of that outcome, which neither a squib kick nor a high kickoff to the 5 could guarantee. The trade off though would have probably been more time off the clock and maybe also better field position or a turnover opportunity and this is further evidence of our HC’s conservative approach, along with not pressing Kelse at the line, protecting the sidelines when KC had their time outs, rushing 4 etc…Not necessarily taking issue with a conservative approach to things in general but in that situation I can certainly think of other coaches who would have done things very differently.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

The way that McDermott said it was an execution thing (and that starts with me) and seeing the way bass kicked it...I'm guessing he meant to do his normal pop up that lands by the 5...

Pure speculation but that was definitely the play and feels like thay was the intention. 

It's possible, I noticed the execution reference but could still be referring to the defence. 

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

Not having Tyreek back there kind of tells me that KC was not going to try a return and kill the clock.  No matter where they got the ball it was going to be immediately downed and they had 3 timeouts 

disagree.   a kickoff returner is going to take a knee at the 3-5 yard line?   clock stops when they're tackled.

4 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

I agree he’s against throwing coaches, including the HC, under the bus. He did say the ‘execution’ thing starts with him, so maybe he was sort of owning up. 

Of course he owned it.  He repeatedly said “It’s on me.”  I respect that more than someone like Arians criticizing Brady’s play.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

He’s just not the kind of coach that throws players and coaches under the bus publicly.  

His press conferences are so generic but I can guarantee that it was discussed internally. 

His answers feel weird by McD standards to me. Feels like something was not quite right. At first I thought maybe he gave Farwell enough rope to hang himself with. But I also maybe thought when he kept mentioning execution, that a lot went wrong in those 13 seconds, focusing on the kick is meh. But maybe it was on Bass. We will never know. 

Unless of course Farwell gets fired. Then we will know. 

8 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

As I've said, if he was told to put it in play, he'll say so.  

If he doesn't, it's safe to assume that was McDs call to put it in the end zone.  

I'm not convinced he would say so. Of all the things to say about Mcd he will not 'throw anyone under the bus.' Apart from Mackenzie perhaps. 

Edited by london_bills

This was mentioned in the other thread.  When Bass hits his "short" KOs, he takes a very short approach, I think 3 steps.  All his kicks were full approaches that game.  This would've required it to be a mental lapse (ie wrong approach/technique, which I doubt (& even if so, the coaches had the opportunity to abort w/ a TO before he kicked it) rather than any sort of "half-legged effort".

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BoccesOnTransit said:

McDermott emphasized execution.

Still takes the knife for his team.

I watched the presser earlier. Mcd mentioned 'execution' but in regards to 'the last couple of plays'. No way of knowing of course but I felt like he would say it more generally if it was the kick. 

29 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm hearing murmurs that Tyler was supposed to pop it up and hit it too hard. Maybe Bass should step up and take one for the team & Sean by admitting it? If this is true it changes everything. Unfortunately the defensive scheme for those 2 plays still sucked.

defensive timeouts give the offense a chance to adjust to what you were going to adjust your defense to. Kelce said as much.

As for Bass, I get it, sometimes I hit it through the fairway and into the hazard because I hit it too good.

Edited by Ralonzo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.