McDermott’s defensive timeouts have jumped the shark

Einstein

When Fonzie jumped the over the shark on water skis, it was the moment that made it apparent Happy Days had no good stories left to tell and had to resort to something crazy to inject excitement into the show. Same thing when a show adds a kid to the mix after it starts to decline, but that's still "jumping the shark".

• Like (+1) 1

I think the reason for them is that they believe that given adequate time to devise a strategy, they're going to be smarter than whatever the opponents can come up w/ in that time.  Either that, or they don't think they're prepared at all or they're more gassed than the offense & need the rest.  The latter is an indictment on our preparedness & based on biased observation, it seems that the former is just plain wrong.

39 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I've watched the play a bunch of times and I have to believe the DE screwed up. He has to get a piece of Kelce. It's the only thing I can think of.

Yes!  Kelces clean run off the line of scrimmage was mind boggling 

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Not saying you're wrong, but in that situation I might not bother to rush anybody.

You make a good point and I thought about that as well. You may very well be right, but my rational was to keep two players on the DL to get their hands into passing lanes.

2 hours ago, 947 said:

When Fonzie jumped the over the shark on water skis, it was the moment that made it apparent Happy Days had no good stories left to tell and had to resort to something crazy to inject excitement into the show. Same thing when a show adds a kid to the mix after it starts to decline, but that's still "jumping the shark".

Correct. And the term has evolved into broader usage as an idiom that describes anything that is no longer interesting, useful, as designed, or smart. In other words, something that is on the decline.

I realize that this is the internet and therefore everyone wants to argue semantics, but this is a bit ridiculous.

3 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

@Einsteinalignment and coverage are two totally different things. Before the timeout the Bills showed a 0 Blitz - came out of the timeout playing Cover 2.

No they didn’t.

Here is before and after the timout. They never showed 0 blitz.

They showed the exact same alignment on both plays, and on both plays Poyer moved back into Cover 2 post snap.

Before Timeout

08219-D8-E-B6-DA-45-CE-947-F-677-C8-C25-

After Timeout

F12-D3-C6-E-DF25-4-D66-B9-C9-F05-AEA84-E

Edited by Einstein

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Rush 3 and tell 4 of your remaining 8 dbs to double both Hill and Kelce. This isn't rocket science.  Sean is not very bright. Not popping up the kickoff cost us the game and that's 100% on Clappy.  You watch Leslie staring aimlessly into the abyss, it's comical. 

They did rush 3! They had Addison at the line and he literally did nothing just stood there and watched!! I’m talking about the play to kelce to get them in FG range. Absolutely terrible! I really don’t understand what they were doing! 

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

No they didn’t.

Here is before and after the timout. They never showed 0 blitz.

They showed the exact same alignment on both plays, and on both plays Poyer moved back into Cover 2 post snap.

Before Timeout

08219-D8-E-B6-DA-45-CE-947-F-677-C8-C25-

After Timeout

F12-D3-C6-E-DF25-4-D66-B9-C9-F05-AEA84-E

Must have been the one earlier that they called the timeout on then. It's still not the same alignments though. Addison is flipped and I'm curious as to why.

Edited by HoofHearted
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.