McDermott’s defensive timeouts have jumped the shark

Einstein

I need to do some homework to determine whether my gut matches actual statistical output (reality), but it certainly feels that McDermott’s defensive timeouts often precede a successful play by the opposing offense.

To that point, Mahomes’ admitted that the Bills defensive timeout gave the Chiefs time to talk about changing Kelce’s route to take advantage of the defense:

“The play to Travis, he wasn’t necessarily supposed to do that, but after the timeout we got a look at what the defense was doing, and he said it to me, ‘If they do it again, I’m going to take it up the middle between both the guys guarding me,'” - Patrick Mahomes

1) My hypothesis is that defensive timeouts in key situations are not helping the team.

2) Why would you take a defensive timeout only to roll out in the same coverage?

• Agree 6

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I need to do some homework to determine whether my gut matches actual statistical output (reality), but it certainly feels that McDermott’s defensive timeouts often precede a successful play by the opposing offense.

To that point, Mahomes’ admitted that the Bills defensive timeout gave the Chiefs time to talk about changing Kelce’s route to take advantage of the defense:

“The play to Travis, he wasn’t necessarily supposed to do that, but after the timeout we got a look at what the defense was doing, and he said it to me, ‘If they do it again, I’m going to take it up the middle between both the guys guarding me,'” - Patrick Mahomes

1) My hypothesis is that defensive timeouts in key situations are not helping the team.

2) Why would you take a defensive timeout only to roll out in the same coverage?

I'm devastated that's why

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

yep, a friend and I were just texting about this.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

But they didn't roll out in the same coverage.

4 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

But they didn't roll out in the same coverage.

Kelce and Mahomes seems to think they did…

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Rush 3 and tell 4 of your remaining 8 dbs to double both Hill and Kelce. This isn't rocket science.  Sean is not very bright. Not popping up the kickoff cost us the game and that's 100% on Clappy.  You watch Leslie staring aimlessly into the abyss, it's comical. 

Rush two.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yep, I've been mentioning this online and off a lot today because it's really grating my gears as well. 

Both timeouts were used, presumably, to make sure we were in the right defensive call. 

Well, both those calls got GASHED for 19 and 25 yards respectively. 

Think about that. We weren't just beaten on those two plays; we had the exact look we WANTED defensively and STILL got brutalized. 

And you're right, this is far from the first time. It's been a recurring theme as McD "smartly" uses timeouts he doesn't need anymore to "help" the defense out. 

15 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Exactly...if they are going to call a timeout at least put a fake defense out there the first time. Makes no sense at all.

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

The saying does come from Happy Days. But Fonzie was on water skies not a motorcycle... Son the Defensive TO's where more like trying to lift the shark.

Oh, I am fully aware. I'm pretty old. But you only get so many chances to use a "Brock Lesnar F5's a shark" gif....so had to jump on it.😂

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.