I believe THE FANS take these losses harder than THE TEAM. What say ye?

TampaBillsJunkie

At the end of the day, I think these losses are way tougher on our die hard fan base. Players are disappointed, not devastated. Players get their game checks, they give their all, but the truth is that they move on. They may play for another team. They may retire. They may get hurt and end their careers. But their love of the team and the city doesn't last a lifetime (except Jimbo maybe) Owners change. Teams move cities. There's no lasting commitment outside the fans. 

Fans like us have endured decades of traumatic losses. It's not a few games a player may experience. It's a lifetime. I'm celebrating 50 years in as a Bills fan and I've seen it all. Well, almost all. And losses like last night sting a little longer and burn a little deeper with each passing year. We want that 1 Super Bowl victory so bad and we came so close, so many times, but one Billsy thing after another steps on to the path of destiny and wipes us off the road.  

I honestly thought with 13 seconds left that this was the year we could finally exorcise the demons. My family was jumping around like it was Christmas and we were kids. The awesome Josh Allen brought us down the field again and threw a 4th down laser for the WIN!!! But no so fast.

We have the #1 Defense and although they were tired. I believed Butker was having a rough night and wouldn't hit anything over 50. Of all the nightmare scenarios we've endured over the years, I never expected this one.  My heart was in my throat and my stomach was turning as that ball was kicked. 

No squib. No time off the clock! Damn it. Just hold them for two plays. Don't let anyone run loose... And what happens..... So f'kin Billsy.

Now another long off-season and a glimmer of hope for the future because we have a legit Top #3 QB if not the best in the league.  So I go into the next 7-8 months, scrolling, reading, hoping that next year is finally the golden one and I really wanted to experience that with my dad.

He took me to almost every home game as a kid (and a few road games) He instilled my life-long love of the Bills. There were times he, my grandpa and my uncle would crowd around the radio to listen to Van Miller call the game. I sat with them back at the Rockpile for my first game. Now they are all long gone, except my dad.

This year was the first season in over 25 years that we were able to watch the games together.  My family moved to the Tampa area this year to help care for him now that his Alzheimers is at a stage where he can't care for himself.  The look on his face was priceless when Josh threw that ball to Davis.  Even though 20 minutes later he forgot what happened, it was still a joy to be with him watching the game.  Hugging him and having that almost glorious moment was so worth it.  I just wish for once we could go the distance.  Maybe next year. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 8

I think it depends on the fan and player.  

I don't think anyone on this board is taking it harder than Josh Allen.  Dude is wired different.  I can't even imagine feeling like you did everything you could possibly do, won the game... only to have the people closest to you let you down.  

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

After all of the hard physical and mental effort that players put in all year long AND a Buffalo team with evidently such love

for each other that our disappointment as fans can't compare to them.

IMO.

if anything, THIS team...I think the level of disappointment is arguably Even. maybe not but I do think they are VERY invested, as are we.

• Like (+1) 4

Fans really have so much more invested. Not the physical part, players work hard and sacrifice so much, I'm sure they want a Super Bowwl as much as fans but....

They will move on, they get paid, its a job for us it is what we do year around. We bring family members, our kids and grandkids into this freakin think we call Bills Football and when it ends like that we are left with nothing. 

Going outside to start my truck this cold morning it was colder than other mornings. I realized that without the Bills playing next week it really is winter. Now what am I going to do. Another winter and I am not getting any younger.

My 17 year old grandson who lives in Connecticut called me this morning explaining that he never felt so sad in his youg life, I felt bad that I got him this, My 3 daughters called from around parts of PA. and they are having trouble figuring out what the hello happened.  I got nuthin, I'm dead.

They're Killin me Whitey, They're Killin me!

22 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

At the end of the day, I think these losses are way tougher on our die hard fan base. Players are disappointed, not devastated. Players get their game checks, they give their all, but the truth is that they move on. They may play for another team. They may retire. They may get hurt and end their careers. But their love of the team and the city doesn't last a lifetime (except Jimbo maybe) Owners change. Teams move cities. There's no lasting commitment outside the fans. 

Fans like us have endured decades of traumatic losses. It's not a few games a player may experience. It's a lifetime. I'm celebrating 50 years in as a Bills fan and I've seen it all. Well, almost all. And losses like last night sting a little longer and burn a little deeper with each passing year. We want that 1 Super Bowl victory so bad and we came so close, so many times, but one Billsy thing after another steps on to the path of destiny and wipes us off the road.  

I honestly thought with 13 seconds left that this was the year we could finally exorcise the demons. My family was jumping around like it was Christmas and we were kids. The awesome Josh Allen brought us down the field again and threw a 4th down laser for the WIN!!! But no so fast.

We have the #1 Defense and although they were tired. I believed Butker was having a rough night and wouldn't hit anything over 50. Of all the nightmare scenarios we've endured over the years, I never expected this one.  My heart was in my throat and my stomach was turning as that ball was kicked. 

No squib. No time off the clock! Damn it. Just hold them for two plays. Don't let anyone run loose... And what happens..... So f'kin Billsy.

Now another long off-season and a glimmer of hope for the future because we have a legit Top #3 QB if not the best in the league.  So I go into the next 7-8 months, scrolling, reading, hoping that next year is finally the golden one and I really wanted to experience that with my dad.

He took me to almost every home game as a kid (and a few road games) He instilled my life-long love of the Bills. There were times he, my grandpa and my uncle would crowd around the radio to listen to Van Miller call the game. I sat with them back at the Rockpile for my first game. Now they are all long gone, except my dad.

This year was the first season in over 25 years that we were able to watch the games together.  My family moved to the Tampa area this year to help care for him now that his Alzheimers is at a stage where he can't care for himself.  The look on his face was priceless when Josh threw that ball to Davis.  Even though 20 minutes later he forgot what happened, it was still a joy to be with him watching the game.  Hugging him and having that almost glorious moment was so worth it.  I just wish for once we could go the distance.  Maybe next year. 

This is a great review of what its been like to be a Bills fan for 50+ years....I like that term "Billsy" - fits perfectly.  I could almost hear my dad up in heaven yelling "the only thing the prevent defense prevents is winning...."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was highs and lows heart pounding like everyone. Didn’t sleep well last night prob like most of you. I have a 6 month old I went into his room and watched him sleep after the game to remind me that there are way more important things in life than football and as a fan I’ve come to realize that even though I want them to win a SB just like the rest of u that I have zero control over any of it. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

This is just a job to these guys. It’s all about money. There’s no loyalty in sports. Us fans, it’s in our hearts. I’m sure these guys are disappointed but I’m absolutely heartbroken about that game. It’s going to take me a long time to get over it 

While I agree about it being a job, the passion was there last night from both of these teams, QBs, coaches, etc.

This was a defining moment in all their lives and for the Bills players that will be back on the 2022 roster they will have to be the ones that do whatever they can to move on from this loss and change the course of the franchise's history.

• Agree 1

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

While I agree about it being a job, the passion was there last night from both of these teams, QBs, coaches, etc.

This was a defining moment in all their lives and for the Bills players that will be back on the 2022 roster they will have to be the ones that do whatever they can to move on from this loss and change the course of the franchise's history.

Oh yeah these guys are competitors and they absolutely want to win. But a lot of them won’t even be on the same teams next year. It’s a business. I can’t sign a 4 year contract as a fan and then switch teams. I’m in it for life

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

you get all kinds

most players are so invested that its crushing......then have to face the press when feelings are so raw

a few players may look at their bank account and shake it off easier....eager for a tee time

then of course you have fans that live and die for the bills......some need  grief counseling or fans like me start preparing for the draft and free agency

GO BILLS !!

26 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think it depends on the fan and player.  

I don't think anyone on this board is taking it harder than Josh Allen.  Dude is wired different.  I can't even imagine feeling like you did everything you could possibly do, won the game... only to have the people closest to you let you down.  

No one on this planet is taking the loss harder than Josh.  No one.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.