Isaiah McKenzie aka, Lil Dirty, sounds like he’s moving on

YoloinOhio

45 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I really hope McBeane is thinking bigger.  With Josh taking the leap to superstardom, free agents will want in.  There will be a lot of upgrade opportunities and guys willing to play here for under market value.  If Cordorelle Patterson means no Beasley or McKenzie, so be it.  

Is Patterson an upgrade or is he a soon to be 31 year old who just had one of those stars aligned career years? His most productive year from scrimmage before this year was the 629 yards he had as a rookie, some 9 years ago. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 1/24/2022 at 12:56 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The list of UFA WRs this year is eye opening 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

WOW.  You're not kidding.  I'll take OBJ (but he's nuts, well, so was Diggs, allegedly), and the best reasonably priced slot WR.  But I"d only focus on WR FA's after getting a stud front 7 guy.  Lots of good WRs in the draft also.  

1 hour ago, motorj said:

If they don't keep him I hope they find someone who will produce well vs NE since they play them twice a year. Mckenzie vs NE had 14 catches including 200 total yards while Beasley had 30 yrds

It was still his least productive season since he’s been in the nfl, and the return role didn’t work out. He was much more productive on offense last year and didn’t get much interest in FA to the point he came back for a 1 year, 1.3 mill deal Maybe he will be used differently in Dorsey’s offense but overall he’s still  a flashy, yet unreliable player and he’s been in the league now for like 6 years. I’d like to have him back as a depth guy but not sure why the comparison to Beasely. They have different skill sets and arent used the same way. It isn’t like the Bills would choose to keep one over the other. If one leaves, they will need replaced, and that won’t be by the other one. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was still his least productive season since he’s been in the nfl, and the return role didn’t work out. He was much more productive on offense last year and didn’t get much interest in FA to the point he came back for a 1 year, 1.3 mill deal Maybe he will be used differently in Dorsey’s offense but overall he’s still  a flashy, yet unreliable player and he’s been in the league now for like 6 years. I’d like to have him back as a depth guy but not sure why the comparison to Beasely. They have different skill sets and arent used the same way. It isn’t like the Bills would choose to keep one over the other. If one leaves, they will need replaced, and that won’t be by the other one. 

While I agree their skillsets are different, they do play the same position - they are both slot guys - even if they play the positions differently. I don't see a way both are back. I do see a way both are gone. 

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Is Patterson an upgrade or is he a soon to be 31 year old who just had one of those stars aligned career years? His most productive year from scrimmage before this year was the 629 yards he had as a rookie, some 9 years ago. 

Agreed. I don't understand all the talk about this guy. I look at his numbers and age and I have no idea why people are willing to overpay for him. If he comes for "free" then so be it but I don't think that is the case. Otherwise I see a ton of other options how to spend our limited cap space. Best IOL available would be a good start.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I agree their skillsets are different, they do play the same position - they are both slot guys - even if they play the positions differently. I don't see a way both are back. I do see a way both are gone. 

He is not just a slot guy.  He does very well on jet sweep and being used as fast RB out of backfield.

I think the key for him is work on his craft during off-season and show he can step up with sold #3 rather than an occasional feature player.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Agreed. I don't understand all the talk about this guy. I look at his numbers and age and I have no idea why people are willing to overpay for him. If he comes for "free" then so be it but I don't think that is the case. Otherwise I see a ton of other options how to spend our limited cap space. Best IOL available would be a good start.

Because he probably won’t be that expensive and upgrades 3 positions (returner, gadget WR, and RB)

On 1/24/2022 at 9:49 AM, UKBillFan said:

A mistake on our part.

Get used to it. This is the same leadership that took forever to cut Peterman or realize that Bates and Gabe can play. I wanted Isaiah to replace Cole but I guess that won't be happening. Maybe they're shopping for a slot guy who can also assume all the return duties (Berrios?). 

On 1/24/2022 at 11:20 PM, Boatdrinks said:

Bills should pay him as Beasley is aging and they need speed. 

I think the replacement for both will be Stevenson or someone in the draft.

25 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He is not just a slot guy.  He does very well on jet sweep and being used as fast RB out of backfield.

I think the key for him is work on his craft during off-season and show he can step up with sold #3 rather than an occasional feature player.

This season, we had Diggs, Sanders, Davis and Beasley as top four receives along with Knox.  There really was no space for Isiah until injury stuck us in the NE game.

39 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

They do play that role differently but McKenzie’s value to the roster dips considerably when he’s not the primary returner. I think that is why he was brought back this year in the first place, to give him the chance to earn that which he didn’t. I don’t think Daboll saw him as a consistent weapon on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It could be a cole beasely situation who shined when he got to play with Josh.  Cole was langishing on the Dallas bench before he got here.

18 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I think the replacement for both will be Stevenson or someone in the draft.

This season, we had Diggs, Sanders, Davis and Beasley as top four receives along with Knox.  There really was no space for Isiah until injury stuck us in the NE game.

If Stevenson develops (no reason to believe that he can’t) I agree he’s a potential replacement for McKenzie. He was a rookie learning the ropes whereas McKenzie was in his 6th year and kind of is what he is at this point. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Braxton Berrios would give them a much better returner and a guy with a younger Beasley's ceiling, IMO.    But he reportedly thinks he is getting $9M per year and I'm not sure the Bills would/could go there for a slot guy.   Nor do I know if he and his beach-friendly girlfriend would want to come to Buffalo.  

On 1/24/2022 at 3:39 PM, BullBuchanan said:

Because that's exactly what Beasley is - he's just a guy and always has been. On top of that he's extremely expensive on a cash strapped team (we save over $7M by cutting him), and he's old.

He's the definition of a cap-casualty

Also, Kupp in his worst season was better than Beasley's best.

Not surprised you are spouting nonsense here, but let me help correct you anyway.  First, totally agree its foolish for anyone to compare Kupp and Cole, they are not even the same type of WR, let alone on the same level.  

But your assessment of Beasley is just as bad as someone comparing him to Kupp.  Cole has been more than just a guy...hes been the best or one of the best slot and 3rd down WR's in the NFL a lot of his career.  If you think that is something anyone can do, then you don't understand football enough to even discuss it.

He is an exceptional route runner, he is almost impossible to cover 1 on 1 out of the slot, and he has excellent hands.  Not to mention, he is a tough player too despite his small stature.  He is a third down conversion waiting to happen.  He has made so many critical 3rd downs for us its almost impossible to count.  Plays other guys couldn't have made, including a lot of incredible catches, YAC where he fought his way to the first, etc.  

This is the NFL, this isn't fantasy football where the only WR's that matter are the ones with the most gaudy stats.  Cole plays an important role for the Buffalo Bills and has always produced when called upon.  People want to dump on him because they incorrectly think he "lost a step" this year because his stats were not as big as last years.  Well neither were Diggs...why...because our recieving weapons were much deeper this year and Josh spread the ball around.  Not because Cole suddenly wasn't as good.  

Cole is no where near a JAG player.  McKenzie is a JAG, Cole is one of the best slot receivers in the game period.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/24/2022 at 6:39 PM, BullBuchanan said:

Because that's exactly what Beasley is - he's just a guy and always has been. On top of that he's extremely expensive on a cash strapped team (we save over $7M by cutting him), and he's old.

He's the definition of a cap-casualty

Also, Kupp in his worst season was better than Beasley's best.

Just an FYI - While Beasley's 2022 cap hit is $7.6M, we would only save $6.1M in cap space because he has a $1.5M dead cap hit.

Seems to me like McKenzie will end up with the NYG, Stevenson will compete with Beasley for playing time. We will be able to tell if the front office thinks Stevenson is good enough by what they do; if they re-sign McKenzie or draft a guy it doesn't bode well for him. This is what needs to happen for us with the guys who were brought in as fa's, they need to be replaced with draft picks to keep costs down. If not, the pay your own drafted players thing kind of falls apart.

Best case scenario Stevenson wins outright in camp and either Beas takes a pay cut or is released/traded.

• Agree 1

I'm still not sure why anyone believes McKenzie is some sort of drop in replacement for Beasely or is a 700+ yard WR in the waiting.

It's no secret this regime has misused players and not been the best evaluators of what talent they actually have on hand, but there is nothing in McKenzie's body of work to suggest he's anything more than utility/depth WR in this league and the Pats game was merely an outlier to this point.

Long story short, it's time to move on and think bigger and if he goes to the Giants with Daboll and has marginally better production there good for them.

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I really hope McBeane is thinking bigger.  With Josh taking the leap to superstardom, free agents will want in.  There will be a lot of upgrade opportunities and guys willing to play here for under market value.  If Cordorelle Patterson means no Beasley or McKenzie, so be it.  

This is an ideal scenario. I would love to see it. Beane and company get to work! He is a smooooth talker wheeler dealer I bet he does make some surprise deals. I'll read what the board thinks with apt interest regarding those signings also

m

51 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm still not sure why anyone believes McKenzie is some sort of drop in replacement for Beasely or is a 700+ yard WR in the waiting.

It's no secret this regime has misused players and not been the best evaluators of what talent they actually have on hand, but there is nothing in McKenzie's body of work to suggest he's anything more than utility/depth WR in this league and the Pats game was merely an outlier to this point.

Long story short, it's time to move on and think bigger and if he goes to the Giants with Daboll and has marginally better production there good for them.

Mac is a great gadget WR but I do agree with this assessment. Even if they cut Beasley for cap reasons and let Max walk it isn’t like there aren’t solid options at the WR position in free agency and the draft to replace both.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.