60 members have voted

1. 1. How to fix (select one)?

• It works fine the way it is
    • CBS: The spot-and-choose rule
    • CBS: The field goal gamble
    • CBS: The simple proposal: Both teams get the ball
    • As long as Bills lose I am happy because I bet against the Bills

21 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

I doubt the rule is going to change unfortunately, KC already tried that. There does seem to be a lot more support this time around so that might get the leagues attention. 

I think it'll eventually change. Maybe not this time around, but the next time it happens in a big game.

Alot of guys today on LA sports talk shows agree the current OT has to change. That game last night needed to keep going.  Most say just play an additional 10 min OT.  You can't decide it on a coin.  Something like 10 of the last 11 playoff overtimes have been decided by a TD from the coin winner.  I think a new OT format will come because of last night.

I appreciate where Costas is coming from and perhaps a full overtime period is warranted.

In the meantime, playing defense is still a requirement in overtime and ours went missing. Had we managed to prevent KC from scoring that TD, I doubt KC’s defense would have stopped Allen, either, and we’d all be ok with the OT rules as they sit now. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

They also discussed soccer for a moment.  I think that's pretty lame, too.  Teams play for 135 minutes and then guys line up and try to score on a goalie.  That's b.s. too.  

I mean they play a full overtime period after regulation 90 and don't stop at a score. It's 30 extra bonus minutes 1/3 of the game. 

Of all sports that overtime rule is typically exactly what people call for in their sports

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I appreciate where Costas is coming from and perhaps a full overtime period is warranted.

In the meantime, playing defense is still a requirement in overtime and ours went missing. Had we managed to prevent KC from scoring that TD, I doubt KC’s defense would have stopped Allen, either, and we’d all be ok with the OT rules as they sit now. 

If the rules were balanced I would agree. Considering they heavily favor the offense, it's not exactly a fair fight these days.

• Agree 1

College football does what they do in baseball where each team is guaranteed a chance on offense, but even that OT system is messed up. I still prefer what the NFL does over college. There’s no perfect solution. 

I still can’t believe so many Bills fan are complaining about OT rules. The game never should have gone to OT and everyone knew the rules going in. Complaining that we lost because of a coin flip is embarrassing.

2 hours ago, FormerlyPT5P said:

I mean they play a full overtime period after regulation 90 and don't stop at a score. It's 30 extra bonus minutes 1/3 of the game. 

Of all sports that overtime rule is typically exactly what people call for in their sports

Just curious what would happen if they're still tied after the extra period.

42 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

The Bills coaching staff didn’t have a 13 second strategy. And didn’t go for the 2 point conversion kill shot to make it a 4 point game. Allen could have converted it. 

And if they hadn't converted it, the Chiefs would have won it on the last-second field goal.  

Two-point conversions are HARD.  

In my opinion, the Bills failed to win the game because they wasted drives in the first half not getting points.  There was one three and out where Singletary got a good gain on first down and the Bills couldn't convert.  I don't think Allen threw a pass on that "drive" -- I think if the Bills had played the first half like they played the second half, they'd have had a 10 pt lead going into halftime, instead of being lucky it was still tied.  

3 hours ago, sven233 said:

The rule stinks.  Always has. 

But last night had nothing to do with the OT and the coin toss.  It was about everything that happened in regulation with 13 seconds left.  Coaches blew the game.  PERIOD.

Both things can be true, you know. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

Both things can be true, you know. 

Thank you.

*break*

Regarding OT rules, I get the concern that letting both teams play could lead to a never-ending story. Much like the soccer analogy that was used, that's why they give one additional period and then penalty kicks. Besides the fact scoring is less likely in soccer, they've already been running for 90 minutes before OT.

In football, have to consider most times the players that have extended physical abuse/chance for injury, have to play the next week. So there needs to be a limit.

I'd ask for one minor change. Both teams get a shot. If it's still tied after that, go to the current rule.  (Next TD or defensive score ends it, or FG if the other team doesn't score.)

Very possibly it doesn't change the Bills-Chiefs game. Chiefs score a TD, Bills score a TD. Game still tied, so reverts to current rule...Chiefs score a TD, game over.

But at least both teams get a chance.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Lionel Hutz said:

College football does what they do in baseball where each team is guaranteed a chance on offense, but even that OT system is messed up. I still prefer what the NFL does over college. There’s no perfect solution. 

I still can’t believe so many Bills fan are complaining about OT rules. The game never should have gone to OT and everyone knew the rules going in. Complaining that we lost because of a coin flip is embarrassing.

I complain, AND also solely blame the Bills for blowing the game at the end of Regulation.  I would complain regardless.  Same as the stupid NHL Offside challenge rule.  If it goes for or against the Sabres, I loathe it and turn the game off if it happens.

Personally, I like some variation of the NCAA rule.

In a game where the last team to have possession of the ball was gonna win, unfortunately KC had the final 2 meaningful possessions.  

But since one of those possessions was only 13 seconds remaining it's a complete choke job by the Bills.  We will never get over this.

8 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I just watched Costas on CNN (wife had it tuned in) and he was making a point that the OT rule is the "dumbest rule in sports."  The host, Don Lemon, accused him of being a Bills fan.  Costas pointed out he has no horse in this race, but who wouldn't want to see these two QB's battle it out till somebody wins?

Then he asked the host what if baseball had the same stupid rule......in the World Series, extra innings, and a team scores a run in the top of the 10th.  Do you just call it a game, or do you let the home team get a chance to do something?

Great analogy.

They also discussed soccer for a moment.  I think that's pretty lame, too.  Teams play for 135 minutes and then guys line up and try to score on a goalie.  That's b.s. too.  

The wife excuse . . . 

Lemon is unintelligent even for a citrus fruit. I think this game may lead to the NFL tweaking the OT rules for the playoffs.

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

As I have said repeatedly, in playoff football against elite qbs, it is not a fair fight. Defenses are exhausted.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, zow2 said:

In a game where the last team to have possession of the ball was gonna win, unfortunately KC had the final 2 meaningful possessions.  

But since one of those possessions was only 13 seconds remaining it's a complete choke job by the Bills.  We will never get over this.

Hyperbole, though I admit I'm having a hard time with it. It will take a SB victory to heal this wound (and soon.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.