60 members have voted

1. 1. How to fix (select one)?

• It works fine the way it is
    • CBS: The spot-and-choose rule
    • CBS: The field goal gamble
    • CBS: The simple proposal: Both teams get the ball
    • As long as Bills lose I am happy because I bet against the Bills

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect, but that is a silly argument and you can say that for either team.  If you want to use that logic, then I ask again, why even play OT at all and just give the coin toss winner the victory right away  if its each teams fault for plays each other didnt make in regulation.  

You are treating the coin flip as a punishment that is fitting due to plays one team or the other didn't make in any part of regulation.  Literally none of that has any impact on what is a "fair" way to determine the winner of a game.  Josh played a near perfect game, but you still want to justify his punishment by saying we could have scored even more points than we did back in the 2nd quarter?  

What is fair is not blaming OT for WHY we lost.  You can always point to something in regulation that could have happened different to avoid OT, that is true for 100% of all OT games that have ever existed for both teams in that game.  But it doesn't matter...once you are in OT, its about what is "fair" at that moment to determine a winner.  And for some reason, you think chance is fair to both teams as if one teams deserves to be punished because of something that could have done earlier in the game.  

The chance itself is even to both teams.

I regard that as fair.

You don’t, cool.

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

For those saying football is a team sport, defense needs to show up in ot

Not disagreeing but would like to know why Kansas city's defense didn't have to show up in ot 

Its a team sport, its the playoffs play the entire period. Involve all aspects of of a game offense defense special teams 

Not saying this to be rude, but all 3 were involved. Buffalo's defense had to be better to get Buffalo's a chance.

15 minutes on the clock, no need to run any sort of prevent etc. Hold them to a field goal you get a shot, if not that's on your defense. Not a coin flip.

• Like (+1) 1

Here’s my proposal: the team that wins the coin toss has the option to receive and if they do, they get the ball on their own 1 or 2 yard line. If they elect to kick, the opposition gets the ball on their own 1 or 2 yard line. First score wins the game, regardless if it’s a FG, TD, or safety.

Edited by JayBaller10

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

Rules are fine, if we play defense in OT we get the ball back. Football is a team sport, your defense needs to show up.

Points win games.  Both teams should get a chance to score points in OT.  Not...hey you get a chance BUT ONLY if you do this first ever though the other team gets to try and get points without having to do that first.  The team that won the coin flip did NOT have to play defense first to get their chance to score points.  

Why is it fair one team by default has to beat the other team on TWO drives (first defending, then scoring) and the other only has to beat the other team on ONE drive (get the ball first and score)?  

2 drives to win is more than 1 drive to win...therefore not equal.  Everyone saying its fair and equal is mathematically incorrect.  

I wanted OT changed after the Pats beat Atlanta in the SB in 2017. That OT was a joke. Same as when the Pats won in 2018 vs the Chiefs. I would have been fine if we lost on a pick or turned it over on downs last night when we got OUR chance in OT. Just needs to be one possession guaranteed for each team . After that its sudden death. I dont think that is too much to ask. The current rule is you win on the coin toss. Especially in OT in the playoffs this is unfair and stupid. Chances are both defenses at this stage are gassed (way more so than in the regular season) and the team that wins the coin toss wins the game

The NFL touts fairness:

• The last place team drafts first. (Fair & equitable.)
  • The first place team drafts last. (Fair & equitable.)
  • When the game begins, the coin flip winner gets to choose how the game starts.
  • The coin flip loser chooses how the 2nd half starts. (Fair & equitable.)

**In OT, after both teams killed themselves for 60 minutes and proved they were equals, the NFL lets a coin flip decide who gets the ball - and that's it.  Nothing for the coin flip loser.  No more fair & equitable.  The coin flip loser must stop the coin flip winner with their defense or they go home.  Not only is this unfair (in a league that touts their fairness), in a game like the Bills Chiefs on 1/23/22, it is especially so in that neither defense was particularly effective during the first 60 minutes or to further make the point, in the last minute and 54 seconds during which 25 points were scored and the lead changed hands several times!!

I submit the following: In OT, in the playoffs, the coin flip winner has won 10 out of 11 occurrences (7 on the first drive or 64%)!!  I cite: https://dknation.draftkings.com/2022/1/24/22899288/nfl-overtime-rules-coin-flip-odds-win-loss-playoffs-regular-season

I propose there be a 10 minute OT Period.  After each teams' offense possesses the ball, the highest score wins.  (The only exception is if the kicking team or initial defense scores a safety.)  I would also propose after TD's are scored, the scoring team MUST try a 2pt conversion.  No PAT kicks.

They can look at it in the future. But for now the rule is the rule.

I don’t like the narrative out there that Bills fans are whining about it today.

I think the national media are making it more a thing today.  We all know we should’ve stopped them with 13 seconds remaining.

4 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Everyone knew that the coin toss winner was going to win the game, but that's not the reason the Bills lost.  They failed to effectivetively manage 13 seconds.  If the rules change for the better, I'm fine with it, but despite my mental anguish about last night's game, the OT rules are not what's bothering me.

This is how I feel 100%. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect, but that is a silly argument and you can say that for either team.  If you want to use that logic, then I ask again, why even play OT at all and just give the coin toss winner the victory right away  if its each teams fault for plays each other didnt make in regulation.  

You are treating the coin flip as a punishment that is fitting due to plays one team or the other didn't make in any part of regulation.  Literally none of that has any impact on what is a "fair" way to determine the winner of a game.  Josh played a near perfect game, but you still want to justify his punishment by saying we could have scored even more points than we did back in the 2nd quarter?  

What is fair is not blaming OT for WHY we lost.  You can always point to something in regulation that could have happened different to avoid OT, that is true for 100% of all OT games that have ever existed for both teams in that game.  But it doesn't matter...once you are in OT, its about what is "fair" at that moment to determine a winner.  And for some reason, you think chance is fair to both teams as if one teams deserves to be punished because of something that could have done earlier in the game.  

It's like arguing that a game of random chance is as much fun and entertaining as the game of football.  

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

The rules are fine and rarely needed, we stop them from making 2 catches we win, stop making excuses! 

Going back to 2011, 6 of 9 OT playoff games have been won on opening TD drives and the coin flip winner has won 8 of 9 times.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

I wanted OT changed after the Pats beat Atlanta in the SB in 2017. That OT was a joke. Same as when the Pats won in 2018 vs the Chiefs. I would have been fine if we lost on a pick or turned it over on downs last night when we got OUR chance in OT. Just needs to be one possession guaranteed for each team . After that its sudden death. I dont think that is too much to ask. The current rule is you win on the coin toss. Especially in OT in the playoffs this is unfair and stupid. Chances are both defenses at this stage are gassed (way more so than in the regular season) and the team that wins the coin toss wins the game

This right here. It’s the most simple and obvious concept and it blew my mind back when they first changed the OT rules that they wouldn’t give both teams an offensive possession. NFL rules committee is made up of buffoons.  

• Like (+1) 1

I just watched Costas on CNN (wife had it tuned in) and he was making a point that the OT rule is the "dumbest rule in sports."  The host, Don Lemon, accused him of being a Bills fan.  Costas pointed out he has no horse in this race, but who wouldn't want to see these two QB's battle it out till somebody wins?

Then he asked the host what if baseball had the same stupid rule......in the World Series, extra innings, and a team scores a run in the top of the 10th.  Do you just call it a game, or do you let the home team get a chance to do something?

Great analogy.

They also discussed soccer for a moment.  I think that's pretty lame, too.  Teams play for 135 minutes and then guys line up and try to score on a goalie.  That's b.s. too.  

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.