With the 25th Pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Mark Vader

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We punted 4 times vs KC in the playoffs. Give josh more to work with.  Allow him to be completely unstoppable.  Defenses get worked on a week to week basis.  We literally had the best D in the league last season…..but NFL rules and game plans allow for even the best defenses to get clobbered. 

Our QB is good enough to score almost  every time we get the ball.  Give him the tools to make that a reality. He’s that good.  

But we gave up 42 points. Do you think if Tre was there or we had a top corner, maybe Milano wouldn't have been trying to cover Kelce? Or a top corner could have stopped Hill on his TD? Or just one more stop in the game? I think 36 points is more than enough to win. Do we really think having another weapon would have yielded more points? I think the key is keeping them under 30, not scoring more than 36. But that's just my opinion. 

Edited by LyndonvilleBill
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We punted 4 times vs KC in the playoffs. Give josh more to work with.  Allow him to be completely unstoppable.  Defenses get worked on a week to week basis.  We literally had the best D in the league last season…..but NFL rules and game plans allow for even the best defenses to get clobbered. 

Our QB is good enough to score almost  every time we get the ball.  Give him the tools to make that a reality. He’s that good.  

2 of those punts were because of poor play calling. The other 2 were because of poor OL play. Adding a 1st round WR doesn't change the outcome of that game.

I don't agree with the now popular notion that certain offenses are indefensible. They are harder to defend than ever before, true, but superior defensive talent can still get the job done. I've used the example of Pittsburgh against KC in the wildcard round a dozen times. Six consecutive defensive stops to start the game... Imagine that kind of game script combined with our offense. I don't even need six consecutive defensive stops. Give me five stops throughout the whole game and I'm happy. The Chiefs punted twice against us... That isn’t good enough. 

The only tool this offense is really missing is a speed/YAC receiver. Guys like that are available on day 2 every year. The drop off from a receiver like Jameson Williams to Calvin Austin IMO is much less than the drop off from the best edge rusher or CB available in round 1 to the same position in round 2. Whatever defensive player we add in round 1 could make a material difference when we inevitably face the Chiefs in the playoffs again next year. Any offensive player we take just gives us a slightly better chance in a coin flip shootout. I don't want to bet on shootout wins every year. I want to hold the Chiefs below 30 points.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Until the Bills beat the Chiefs in the playoffs, keep drafting players that help us stop their offense. A speed edge rusher, or an athletic CB, or a MLB that doesn't bite on misdirection. Without any of those pieces it is hopeless to stop the Chiefs offense unless Mahomes happens to be off his game like he was in our regular season matchup. Speed WRs can be found on day two. Immediate starting caliber defensive players are generally only found in the 1st round.

This kind of cracked belief about the importance of drafting defense in round 1........which makes little sense long term..........is how Green Bay wasted Aaron Rodgers career.

The Bills defense was literally as good as any in the NFL............they've drafted a defensive player in round 1 in all four seasons that they've had a first round pick to use.

And yet they are watching a Bengals team that has drafted terribly in round 1 the past decade(except their 2 most recent in Burrow and Chase) play in a SB which they reached because they went HEAVY on playmakers on offense instead of trying to distribute talent evenly............ and they literally have a defense built of free agents and later picks.    Their most recent first round pick on defense,  William Jackson,  doesn't even play for them anymore.

I'm not saying what Cinci has done is the gold standard...........but learn from the Chiefs and Bengals...........they aren't fixated on having the most talent on defense or defensive rankings.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

But we gave up 42 points. Do you think if Tre was there or we had a top corner, maybe Milano wouldn't have been trying to cover Kelce? Or a top corner could have stopped Hill on his TD? Or just one more stop in the game? I think 36 points is more than enough to win. Do we really think having another weapon would have yielded more points? I think the key is keeping them under 30, not scoring more than 36. But that's just my opinion. 

Yeah, we also held them to 20 earlier in the year.  Our defense was literally the best in the league this year.  If our defense wasn’t good enough this season, than NO defense is good enough to win the super bowl this year….the our D IS better than the bengals D.  Our coaches just needed to do a better job of scheming that game.  We didn’t lose because our D wasn’t good enough.  We lost because our coaches screwed us, again. 

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

2 of those punts were because of poor play calling. The other 2 were because of poor OL play. Adding a 1st round WR doesn't change the outcome of that game.

I don't agree with the now popular notion that certain offenses are indefensible. They are harder to defend than ever before, true, but superior defensive talent can still get the job done. I've used the example of Pittsburgh against KC in the wildcard round a dozen times. Six consecutive defensive stops to start the game... Imagine that kind of game script combined with our offense. I don't even need six consecutive defensive stops. Give me five stops throughout the whole game and I'm happy. The Chiefs punted twice against us... That isn’t good enough. 

The only tool this offense is really missing is a speed/YAC receiver. Guys like that are available on day 2 every year. The drop off from a receiver like Jameson Williams to Calvin Austin IMO is much less than the drop off from the best edge rusher or CB available in round 1 to the same position in round 2. Whatever defensive player we add in round 1 could make a material difference when we inevitably face the Chiefs in the playoffs again next year. Any offensive player we take just gives us a slightly better chance in a coin flip shootout. I don't want to bet on shootout wins every year. I want to hold the Chiefs below 30 points.

You have no idea was a 1st rd talent does in that game.  But pretend to.  Let’s stop acting like we don’t have a good defense.  We have a very good d and it was missing our BEST player.  It was good enough to win a SB.  It wasn’t good enough to beat KC THAT DAY.  If we had another stud WR or better OL we likely would’ve beaten the jags and played the KC playoff game @ home. We were good enough.  Talent wasn’t the problem.  Coaching was. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, we also held them to 20 earlier in the year.  Our defense was literally the best in the league this year.  If our defense wasn’t good enough this season, than NO defense is good enough to win the super bowl this year….the our D IS better than the bengals D.  Our coaches just needed to do a better job of scheming that game.  We didn’t lose because our D wasn’t good enough.  We lost because our coaches screwed us, again. 

The reason why the Bengals defense did better than the Bills wasn't because of talent............it was because they were willing to make huge adjustments.    Which is also their reputation.  The Bills coach their style/system of defense and do not make significant adjustments to opponents.   That's what needed to change more than anything.    It's why I'd like to see them get a new MLB that they can trust and run some more 4-3.    It's crazy that the average back 7 player in this defense has over 4 years experience with the team and they can't be more multiple.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As much as I love draft talk, I think it's virtually impossible to project what we might do until Free Agency starts.  With so many players on the defensive and offensive lines being in flux and Wallace being an UFA, our needs could change drastically.

My biggest concern is McD's commitment to a rotating defensive line and needing to keep those roster numbers up.  I would hate to see us waste another draft in the trenches, rather than focusing on more full time contributors that can make an impact. 

If we lose Harrison, Hughes, Addison, and Star, I expect a very line heavy draft

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills defense was literally as good as any in the NFL

There weren't any elite defenses this year though. The Steelers came close but they were marred by injuries and with that offense being as bad as it was it wouldn't have mattered. The Bills defense did it with coaching and scheme more than pure talent. We don't have any true game changing players in the front 7, or an athletic CB capable of playing man to man across from White. Coaching only takes you so far. Eventually superior talent wins out, as our offense proved in our perfect wildcard game against the best coached defense in the league.

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And yet they are watching a Bengals team that has drafted terribly in round 1 the past decade(except their 2 most recent in Burrow and Chase) play in a SB which they reached because they went HEAVY on playmakers on offense instead of trying to distribute talent evenly............ and they literally have a defense built of free agents and later picks.

The Bengals straight up got lucky that Mahomes puked all over himself in the 2nd half, one week after Tannehill did the same. If the Bills want to do what they did and just pay one of the top edge rushers in FA I'm fine with that. This isn't a good year for that strategy though. Meanwhile Hughes and Addison are another year older and Epenesa looks like a bust. Our DE room is nowhere close to championship caliber unless Rousseau takes a massive step.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We beat them earlier with Tre and held them to 20 (albeit their O wasn't firing on all cylinders). Our D would have been good enough with Tre or a top CB.  Keep them under 30, we win. I honestly think we were a Tre away from winning that game.😉. I definitely will not argue against the dumb plays towards the end (pure stupidity in my opinion). I have ALWAYS hated a prevent defense (prevent from winning is what I call it).

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, we also held them to 20 earlier in the year.

Go back and watch that game. Mahomes mostly sucked. His footwork was all over the place and he missed a bunch of throws he usually makes. We got a free pick six off a dropped pass. It was not a shutdown defensive performance. Like the Bengals we got lucky the Chiefs were off their game. When Mahomes is on his game like he was in the divisional round the disparity in talent between their offense and our defense is obvious. We don't have anyone capable of covering White or Kelce. We don't have anyone capable of consistently getting to Mahomes and actually bringing him down. Our defense is built around waiting for offenses to make a mistake while grinding out long drives. When we face an offense capable of doing just that, what players do we have that will step up and make a game changing play?

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If we had another stud WR or better OL we likely would’ve beaten the jags and played the KC playoff game @ home.

And again I'm not saying I'm against the Bills adding offensive talent in the draft. I'm saying the type of talent that would add something new to our offense - speed/YAC receiver and interior OL upgrades - are better found on day 2 and 3. Whereas the type of talent that makes our defense better - speed edge rusher and athletic man to man CB - is found in round 1. Like if my choice is Andrew Booth or Jermaine Johnson in round 1 and Calvin Austin in round 2, versus Jameson Williams in round 1 and some defensive player in round 2, I'm taking the first choice with no hesitation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

We beat them earlier with Tre and held them to 20 (albeit their O wasn't firing on all cylinders). Our D would have been good enough with Tre or a top CB.  Keep them under 30, we win. I honestly think we were a Tre away from winning that game.😉. I definitely will not argue against the dumb plays towards the end (pure stupidity in my opinion). I have ALWAYS hated a prevent defense (prevent from winning is what I call it).

My point exactly.  Our D was good enough.  They weren’t good enough vs KC in the playoffs.  It happens all the time.  The way to make sure your defenses/coaching failures don’t keep you from a title….score more points.….give josh more.  Empower our young superstar with more potential superstars. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Go back and watch that game. Mahomes mostly sucked. His footwork was all over the place and he missed a bunch of throws he usually makes. We got a free pick six off a dropped pass. It was not a shutdown defensive performance. Like the Bengals we got lucky the Chiefs were off their game. When Mahomes is on his game like he was in the divisional round the disparity in talent between their offense and our defense is obvious. We don't have anyone capable of covering White or Kelce. We don't have anyone capable of consistently getting to Mahomes and actually bringing him down. Our defense is built around waiting for offenses to make a mistake while grinding out long drives. When we face an offense capable of doing just that, what players do we have that will step up and make a game changing play?

I was at the game.  Watched it several times.  

agree to disagree.  

Our season didn’t end because we didn’t have enough talent on D.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

And again I'm not saying I'm against the Bills adding offensive talent in the draft. I'm saying the type of talent that would add something new to our offense - speed/YAC receiver and interior OL upgrades - are better found on day 2 and 3. Whereas the type of talent that makes our defense better - speed edge rusher and athletic man to man CB - is found in round 1. Like if my choice is Andrew Booth or Jermaine Johnson in round 1 and Calvin Austin in round 2, versus Jameson Williams in round 1 and some defensive player in round 2, I'm taking the first choice with no hesitation.

I’m not against taking d in rd 1.  If a guy like booth fell to us, I’m for it.  I don’t think Johnson or Booth have much of a chance to fall, but it’s possible.  I’m all for taking BPA at a premium position on either side of the ball.  

While it’s still early, I also don’t see Austin falling to us in rd 2.  The examples you’ve given are loaded to D side.  

I’d rather have Jameson Williams and Kyler Gordon than your examples.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

My point exactly.  Our D was good enough.  They weren’t good enough vs KC in the playoffs.  It happens all the time.  The way to make sure your defenses/coaching failures don’t keep you from a title….score more points.….give josh more.  Empower our young superstar with more potential superstars. 

In todays NFL, the Bills' path to a championship is going through Josh Allen and the offense.  Their top priority should be to give Allen the best linemen they can in front of him and the best skill players they can around him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

42 points against... Agree to disagree indeed.

We lost THAT GAME because our defense wasn’t good enough THAT GAME.  Our coaches failed…..we didn’t lose because we aren’t talented enough.  We had enough talent to have the NUMBER ONE defense in the league……The previous week our D was dominant vs the 7th highest scoring team in the league.  

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

In todays NFL, the Bills' path to a championship is going through Josh Allen and the offense.  Their top priority should be to give Allen the best linemen they can in front of him and the best skill players they can around him.

💯 

this is the way.

other ways be damned.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don't think it's realistic to expect 30+ points a game in order to win. I think it more realistic to hold a team under 30. We scored on every posession against the Pats and 36 points against the Chiefs. Should have been MORE than enough. Offense wasn't an issue in my opinion. But I can see you are more offensive minded and I am more defensive minded. All good. I'll stick with my 25th pick at CB.😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.