With the 25th Pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Mark Vader

Just now, FlaFitz1 said:

Maybe because Edmunds contract ends after next season? 

If you draft a LB in the first round, you do so with the expectation they are a Day One starter.  

Let this team draft Nakobe Dean and keep him on the bench behind Edmunds and Milano for a year of his rookie contract... that's not happening. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Like I said earlier, the combine testing will ultimately alter my decision. I’m definitely going offensive playmakers with my first 2 picks. Speed is essential. I’m specifically interested in the timed speed of 2 players, Breece Hall and Decobie Durant. Both players of the year in their respective conferences. Durant was a “shutdown/ballhawking” corner in the MEAC. Hall a do it all RB. Breece is so reminiscent to Thurman to me. Nose for the end zone. 

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We should rejoice if some dumb team takes a center in the top 25 and let's a player at a big dollar position fall down to us.

People need to learn that that first round pick should be a player who you can't realistically acquire for reasonable money in UFA............a guy with a $25M-$30M aav ceiling when they pan out.

No runnin' bax,  no guards, no centers,  no off-ball LB's, safeties, RT only's or run stuffing DT's..

Good players at these less expensive positions regularly make it to free agency and sign for much less than the very few good but lesser players at QB/PassRush/CB1/WR1/LT who don't get a second contract with their drafting team.

Let other teams draft those positions early and then when those players reach UFA and they can't pay them because they have to pay top dollar for distressed merchandise at actual KEY positions in UFA..........you have the money to sign a Micah Hyde or Mitch Morse if you need a stud at those spots.

Btw, here's that passage from Albert Breer's SI MMQB column the other day:

'3) This one’s more of a trend thing. “You look at Jameson leaving Ohio State, and he was the fourth receiver there, and then [Chris] Olave and [Garrett] Wilson opt out of the Rose Bowl, Jaxon Smith-Njigba breaks every record and Marvin Harrison Jr. steps right in. And no one can cover them,” said an AFC exec. “Those two things show the stark difference between receiver and corner right now. You look in the third and fourth rounds last year, and see Amon-Ra St. Brown, and Josh Palmer, and Nico Collins, and all these receivers that can play. And good luck finding a corner at that point of the draft.” The overarching point should be driven home again this year. There’s no Ja’Marr Chase in 2022. But there is depth, as there has been the last few years, at receiver. And it will, again, be a challenge to find good corners in April.

4) Along those lines, and this is something I brought up last spring: I don’t think it’s a coincidence that so many corners coming into the league are NFL legacies. The top two corners drafted last year (Jaycee Horn and Patrick Surtain II), and four of the top 13 taken (adding Asante Samuel Jr. and Elijah Molden) have NFL dads. This year, the presumptive top corner, LSU’s Derek Stingley Jr., had an NFL grandfather. What’s the hook here? Well, with the proliferation of seven-on-seven and explosion of spread offenses at the high school level, the best athletes all want to play receiver. A dad who played in the league sees that, and realizes, because of it, there’s a better chance that a great 6' 1", 200-pound athlete can make it at corner than at receiver. Bottom line, there are a lot of wideouts who profile athletically like Horn and Surtain, but far fewer corners. It means, ultimately, a better chance to get drafted higher. And a better chance, because of the scarcity of corners in the league, to sustain NFL earning power.'

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/17/mmqb-wild-card-weekend-kyle-shanahan-49ers-cowboys-rivalry

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Btw, here's that passage from Albert Breer's SI MMQB column the other day:

'3) This one’s more of a trend thing. “You look at Jameson leaving Ohio State, and he was the fourth receiver there, and then [Chris] Olave and [Garrett] Wilson opt out of the Rose Bowl, Jaxon Smith-Njigba breaks every record and Marvin Harrison Jr. steps right in. And no one can cover them,” said an AFC exec. “Those two things show the stark difference between receiver and corner right now. You look in the third and fourth rounds last year, and see Amon-Ra St. Brown, and Josh Palmer, and Nico Collins, and all these receivers that can play. And good luck finding a corner at that point of the draft.” The overarching point should be driven home again this year. There’s no Ja’Marr Chase in 2022. But there is depth, as there has been the last few years, at receiver. And it will, again, be a challenge to find good corners in April.

4) Along those lines, and this is something I brought up last spring: I don’t think it’s a coincidence that so many corners coming into the league are NFL legacies. The top two corners drafted last year (Jaycee Horn and Patrick Surtain II), and four of the top 13 taken (adding Asante Samuel Jr. and Elijah Molden) have NFL dads. This year, the presumptive top corner, LSU’s Derek Stingley Jr., had an NFL grandfather. What’s the hook here? Well, with the proliferation of seven-on-seven and explosion of spread offenses at the high school level, the best athletes all want to play receiver. A dad who played in the league sees that, and realizes, because of it, there’s a better chance that a great 6' 1", 200-pound athlete can make it at corner than at receiver. Bottom line, there are a lot of wideouts who profile athletically like Horn and Surtain, but far fewer corners. It means, ultimately, a better chance to get drafted higher. And a better chance, because of the scarcity of corners in the league, to sustain NFL earning power.'

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/17/mmqb-wild-card-weekend-kyle-shanahan-49ers-cowboys-rivalry

Interesting.  So draft a corner high and some good WRs will be pushed down.  Fine with me but if a special elite receiving talent like Jameson Williams is sitting there at 25 I probably still pull the trigger.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

Love the never trade up take, Steelers will forever regret trading up for S Troy Polamalu.

Or the 49'ers trading up to take Jerry Rice.  Seriously, I am in favor of trading down to get more #2 and #3 round picks and trading up to get more #2 nd #3 round picks.  Go through NFL draft history and you will see tons of first round busts and tons of great players taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  After that, not so much.  Not saying you don't trade up in the first round to get the guy you want (duh, Josh Allen), but generally, I'm in favor of accumulating draft picks but especially in 2nd and 3rd rounds.

19 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm willing to give him more than 2/3 of a season to prove himself at RT. He had some shaky performances but some good ones too. I mean, the leap from Northern Iowa to the NFL is huge.

Agreed.  I think Spencer Brown will be an All Pro in two years.  Yeah, he had a lot of ups and downs this year and Melvin Ingram abused him Sunday night and could have ended that game a lot sooner than overtime, but for a 3rd round pick from a small school to perform like that as a rookie is impressive.  I believe he's only going to get better and better.  It's a home run pick by Beane.

• Like (+1) 2

I would prefer a CB on Day 2, especially if they believe Tre will not be ready for the opener.  I still believe IOL is our biggest need at #25.  No way do I want a Day 1 or Day 2 pick used on DL.  Been there done that.  I guess I would also be okay with #25 being used on a LB(Edmunds replacement) or WR.

All that being said, until F/A takes place, it is hard to see how the draft will play out.

Edited by BTB

On 1/24/2022 at 11:42 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

.....to trade up a bit if Jordan Davis is there at 20ish.

Also, the Chiefs quietly ran for over 180 yards last night. CEH gashed that line in almost every touch ripping off huge chunks. Run defense is still something to improve.

Yes. This is the guy. I could see the Pats being very interested in JD. He and Barmore together would be problem. Jump them and draft this guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

David Ojabo DE from Michigan if available ar 15 or lower. 

Bills biggest needs are Edge and fast CB. 

On offense a speed WR. Jahan Dotson of PSU might slip to round 2

Ojabo won't last to us, I do like Dotson and would be fine with taking him at 25.

I don’t understand the corner crowd. Beane said in his presser yesterday that they thought about one in round two last year but decided they might not beat out Dane Jackson. There were some good ones still on the board at that point as well. 

It has long been the MO of this regime to have one outstanding corner (Tre White) and develop a later round corner opposite of him. They think they have that in Dane Jackson.

Ive long said…you aren’t stopping the KC offense. Elite qbs are able to overcome any kind of defense put out there. Look at our own guy. His best games have come against good defenses. Elite qbs rise to the occasion.

The main focus needs to be protecting our franchise qb and giving him the weapons he needs to keep this offense humming next year and beyond. People forget how average or worse Singletary as most of the year. He picked it up late, but I’m not gonna pretend that is going to be the norm going forward. And I love Diggs and Davis, but sanders is gone and Beasley might be as well. We need a young, speedy slot. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I don’t understand the corner crowd. Beane said in his presser yesterday that they thought about one in round two last year but decided they might not beat out Dane Jackson. There were some good ones still on the board at that point as well. 

It has long been the MO of this regime to have one outstanding corner (Tre White) and develop a later round corner opposite of him. They think they have that in Dane Jackson.

Ive long said…you aren’t stopping the KC offense. Elite qbs are able to overcome any kind of defense put out there. Look at our own guy. His best games have come against good defenses. Elite qbs rise to the occasion.

The main focus needs to be protecting our franchise qb and giving him the weapons he needs to keep this offense humming next year and beyond. People forget how average or worse Singletary as most of the year. He picked it up late, but I’m not gonna pretend that is going to be the norm going forward. And I love Diggs and Davis, but sanders is gone and Beasley might be as well. We need a young, speedy slot. 

I'm in th CB crowd. A round 2 guy may not have, but I'd bet a first round would have beaten  Jackson. Here's why I think we need a top CB. First I think if we had Tre, we win the game. Second,  we don't know when Tre will return, could be mid season and Hopefully he is as good as he was when he first gets back,  but can't count on it. Without a #1 (1b), it could be a tough start and we cant afford to fall behind early in the w/l column. We need the homefield advantage next post season. 3rd, if you look at the remaining teams in the AFC, Chase, Higgins, Hill, Pringle, Kelce, Hardman and NFC, Debo, Kittle, OBJ, Kupp just to name a few. I REALLY think we are going to need 2 top corners to get where we want to be.

• Agree 3

On 1/25/2022 at 9:38 PM, Nextmanup said:

Wrong and wronger! 

Taking a LB of all things with a first round pick is foolish; trading UP to get him would be doubling down on stupidity.

Never trade up unless you are moving to the top of the draft to take what you believe to be your franchise QB.

We already have that; we should be trading DOWN all over the place for MORE picks and using them shrewdly to take under-evaluated talent.

Turn 3 picks into 5 if you can.

I do love the idea of trading Edmunds, if you can actually get a team to dance with you.

Not sure you can.

I appreciate your perspective but I am sure glad you are not the Bills GM.  We need to make our team better period.  At face value our Linebackers are not good!!!  Did you see Milano in coverage against Chiefs???  look at the entire season and especially the last :13 seconds and in overtime.  Milano is in panic mode... never turns his head to locate ball, stumbling out of breaks, arms flaring in the wind!!  We can not beat elite teams like this, especially the Chiefs.   Edmunds needs to be traded or utilized differently.  Why not have him more up near the line, moving around and being super aggressive?  Having him eat up space in our Defence and try to utilize his instincts has proven to be a huge FAIL. That is not him and not his strength.  Change how you use him or get rid of him.   

Never trade up unless for a QB?  lol....  I guess you would have traded up to pick #2 and taken Trubisky in that draft!?    Your thinking makes sense on many levels but is flawed in terms of our team and the Bills Roster... WE need the fastest most bad ass Linebacker that fly's all over the field..  Thats what you need!!  So do everything you can to go get him at no money for 5 years!!!!   Then settle with more linebacker value and obviously a burner at Running Back to compliment Singletary.

We need a game wrecker on D...  Ed is coming..... so get one more and were good!   17-0 next season.

Faith!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LifeLongFan said:

I appreciate your perspective but I am sure glad you are not the Bills GM.  We need to make our team better period.  At face value our Linebackers are not good!!!  Did you see Milano in coverage against Chiefs???  look at the entire season and especially the last :13 seconds and in overtime.  Milano is in panic mode... never turns his head to locate ball, stumbling out of breaks, arms flaring in the wind!!  We can not beat elite teams like this, especially the Chiefs.   Edmunds needs to be traded or utilized differently.  Why not have him more up near the line, moving around and being super aggressive?  Having him eat up space in our Defence and try to utilize his instincts has proven to be a huge FAIL. That is not him and not his strength.  Change how you use him or get rid of him.   

Never trade up unless for a QB?  lol....  I guess you would have traded up to pick #2 and taken Trubisky in that draft!?    Your thinking makes sense on many levels but is flawed in terms of our team and the Bills Roster... WE need the fastest most bad ass Linebacker that fly's all over the field..  Thats what you need!!  So do everything you can to go get him at no money for 5 years!!!!   Then settle with more linebacker value and obviously a burner at Running Back to compliment Singletary.

We need a game wrecker on D...  Ed is coming..... so get one more and were good!   17-0 next season.

Faith!

Never trade up, unless you are going for your franchise QB, probably near the top of the draft.

The dumb guys in this league trade up; the smart ones trade down.

Milano is a great LB; Edmunds not so much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Never trade up, unless you are going for your franchise QB, probably near the top of the draft.

The dumb guys in this league trade up; the smart ones trade down.

Milano is a great LB; Edmunds not so much.

Not sure what games your watching.... Milano is good against sub part competition- and average to poor against good elite competition... Tremaine is lost and needs to be traded or utilized differently.   In most cases you do trade down... not in our case!  We need a couple pieces to win 2-3 super bowls

20 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Corner is probably going to be the pick.  White probably will be on the PUP to start the year and Wallace might not be back.  

So we take a corner in the first because we need one? What about the other rounds?  And forget about the fact that we need speed on offense and might lose Beasley, Sanders, and McKenzie. I’m not buying for one second that its cut and dry for corner because of Tre. We can get a good corner in FA and the mid rounds too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think a lot of what happens in Rd 1 depends on 1st - Tre's injury status...2nd - If Levi is resigned...3rd if the Bills sign a Levi-tier UFA CB...

Beane seemed to indicate as long as things go smooth, Tre has a decent chance to return for the season opener. Totally understand that can change. But Tre is young and these recoveries are regularly quick now. The Bills paid Tre, so they have to lean to hopeful...Just realistically hopeful.

If Levi is resigned I think there is 0.0 chance the Bills go CB in Rd 1. Beane told us in the presser he's not going to Draft a guy knowing he'll be behind Dane...Let alone Tre, Levi, Taron, and Dane...If they sign a Levi-tier UFA I still think the chances are 0.0...

If Tre is not going to be ready for a while, they don't re-sign Levi or sign a UFA, then CB goes to the top of the list, and they will Draft a 1st Round CB...If not I think they'll go O-Line...There is the potential for Cap casualties on the O-Line, and there are plenty of contracts coming up there in the next 2 years regardless. Beane said the #1 priority on Offense is protecting Josh. And I think there is a really great opportunity to bolster that area early in the 2022 Draft. I mean improve this line with a stud LG...Probably a kid that is a College LT, but can kick inside and really be special early in the NFL. That's where I'm leaning. But...We'll see...B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS
  • Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, whorlnut said:

So we take a corner in the first because we need one? What about the other rounds?  And forget about the fact that we need speed on offense and might lose Beasley, Sanders, and McKenzie. I’m not buying for one second that its cut and dry for corner because of Tre. We can get a good corner in FA and the mid rounds too. 

To be fair it’s not just that we need one it’s also a strength of this upcoming draft

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.