Leslie Frazier / Brian Daboll - If they go, who would you want as their replacement(s)?

Jester

39 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I do not think it is the only way to go, as I do think a 4-3 scheme can work. 

BUT, like it or not there are more pass catchers on the field than ever, so more DBs and LBs are going to be on the field anyways. 

I wonder if you can keep McDermott's general defensive scheme while still going 3-4. 

His scheme isn't extraordinarily far from what the Bucs do honestly, who run a base 3-4. Both teams have a fulcrum around a pair of sideline to sideline backers - though I would suggest the Bucs have a slightly better pair of backers in Devin White (super star) and Lavonte David than the Bills do with Edmunds and Milano - both use a heavy mix of zones that act to protect their corners.

The real difference between the two is how they bring baseline pressure. The Bucs have slightly more versatility because they pick and choose which side to bring their rush guy, or be able to read and bring both, wheras the with 4 down you know which 4 are coming after the QB. And of course there's a bunch of gap and technique differences in a 3 man down and a 4 man down. 

If you can't get a game wrecker at DE, then I'd opt for a 3-4 with a pair of above average to good rushers at OLB because you can at least force the offense to guess more and you can be more varied in attack. Of course that also opens you up for more big plays and more risk. 

44 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

(1) It was 552 yards that included OT (477 yds in 10 drives in regulation to 422 yds in 9 drives for the Bills) and (2) over their last 8 games, the Chiefs averaged 44 yards per drive and 3.7 points per drive and were pretty much the same last night at 50 yards per drive and 3.8 points per drive. The Bills were actually pretty much the same at 47 yards per drive and 4 points per drive. 

The 2 best QBs in the NFL playing their best football in that 4th quarter - maybe the best I have ever seen in a playoff game.

I'm not ready to over to overreact

Right, Mahomes elevated to the situation at hand. The defense - mostly - did it's job

37 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Well Josh wants Dorsey, so imma go with that 

Let's call that "don't fix what's going extraordinarily well". Tweak the offense, don't change it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't want any retreads.  I don't want any curmudgeon old retreads either that come in and throw a whole new system at the team that takes players half a season to get a handle on.  We don't need to do what Rex Ryan did to Mario Williams and Marcel Dareus.  

My vote would be to give Jim Salgado, the Bills Nickel coach, a look.  You need new blood that can take the fundamentals of the Frazier defense and make it nastier.   

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Mike Zimmer makes a lot of sense. 

Fangio is a 3-4 guy. A lot of what they do is 4-3 under type stuff, but not sure it meshes with McDermott. 

Brian Flores would be awesome.

Patrick Graham, who is a Belicheat/Flores disciple would be an interesting fit as well. 

Bring back Jim Schwartz. 

Or call me crazy, but is there anyone on the planet who knows what McDermott wants to do defensively more than Luke Kuechly? Dude is brilliant and knows exactly what coach wants. Everyone else is hiring young guys without experience, why not us? 

All that said, if Frazier gets another job is or is let go (which I think is highly unlikely) I think they just promote their DBs coach John Butler. 

I would love Schwartz but I don’t see TN letting him go

Hopefully those two get hired away... Daboll as Giants new HC and Frazier as the Bears new HC.

Dorsey for OC

The defense is tougher because you don't need someone who will attempt to remake the whole thing. What the Bills already have does work and just needs someone a tad brighter. 

I want Frazier gone regardless. I can’t see him getting a HC Job. I never saw that as a realistic possibility anyway. I want ‘McDermott to either basically be the DC and call the defense or bring in a guy that will be more aggressive. Either way I’m good but the super soft shell the Frazier plays is infuriating. I don’t care where they ended up…Schwartz defense was way better then these guys. And we have better players now. I want aggression from a defense and to force the issue. Not sit back and hope to bore the other team into mistakes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Draconator said:

He is the right coach for Daniel Jones. Not saying it'll work out, but Jones has the tools and the offense has the weapons.  Plus the division isn't very good. 

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I want Frazier gone regardless. I can’t see him getting a HC Job. I never saw that as a realistic possibility anyway. I want ‘McDermott to either basically be the DC and call the defense or bring in a guy that will be more aggressive. Either way I’m good but the super soft shell the Frazier plays is infuriating. I don’t care where they ended up…Schwartz defense was way better then these guys. And we have better players now. I want aggression from a defense and to force the issue. Not sit back and hope to bore the other team into mistakes.

You do realize that McDermott called those final defenses in regulation, right?

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He is the right coach for Daniel Jones. Not saying it'll work out, but Jones has the tools and the offense has the weapons.  Plus the division isn't very good. 

You do realize that McDermott called those final defenses in regulation, right?

Not sure that I know that to be true. I do realize that I hated Frazier’s defenses when he was in Minnesota then I watched how they played here. Also watched the games where McD visibly took over the play calling and watched the pressure increase.

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Not sure that I know that to be true. I do realize that I hated Frazier’s defenses when he was in Minnesota then I watched how they played here. Also watched the games where McD visibly took over the play calling and watched the pressure increase.

I just remember McDermott being right up in it in the sideline discussions after the TOs were called. It's his responsibility if he's that involved. Honestly, the first play was OK; you can't let yourself get beat deep. But the second one (the Kelce play) was ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I just remember McDermott being right up in it in the sideline discussions after the TOs were called. It's his responsibility if he's that involved. Honestly, the first play was OK; you can't let yourself get beat deep. But the second one (the Kelce play) was ridiculous.

Everything about it was terrible. Everything about the entire 4th quarter on D was terrible. And if Frazier isn’t making those calls, what is the point of him being here? Which is rhetorical honestly because I don’t want him here anyway regardless 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.