Leslie Frazier / Brian Daboll - If they go, who would you want as their replacement(s)?

Jester

Daboll getting a 2nd interview with the Giants today.

(17) Tom Pelissero on Twitter: "The #Giants plan to interview #Bills OC Brian Daboll a second time for their head coaching job today, per source. Daboll is the first known finalist for New York, which is also interviewing #Cowboys DC Dan Quinn today. Heating up." / Twitter

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I really hope McD gives serious thoughts to his defensive philosophy this off season.  We can be more aggressive given we have a QB and offense that can score.  

I am not sure I agree. They can tweak stuff, they do every year, but I don't agree with ripping up their philosophy. I don't know who the example of "aggressive" style defenses that are excelling in the league are? Maybe Tampa qualify.... Arizona.... but neither of them had great years defensively. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jester said:

I feel like we need a NASTY D and we don't really get that with Mr. Nice Guy Frazier.  Not sure what happened last night but they didn't seem like the #1.  And Daboll has some head scratching play calling during games. 

We don't need a nasty D.

We need an effective D.

Good, effective, efficient ... that's what we need. We already are that, but need to get more so, though might well be that if Tre White had played we'd have won. No way to know.  

How you get to good, efficient and effective doesn't really matter. Fast, tough, smart ... generally a mix of all of them.

And KC's offense didn't out-tough our D. They outran us. And they got the ball last. If we had got the ball last, we'd have won. Did our offense succeed because KC's defense sucked? Or does having one of the top two QBs in the league with good players around them in a good scheme make it hard to impossible to stop your offense when you're playing well?

Goddamn, though.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I really hope McD gives serious thoughts to his defensive philosophy this off season.  We can be more aggressive given we have a QB and offense that can score.  

You know what I find frustrating? McDermott was a disciple of the late Jim Johnson. Coach Johnson's defense was very aggressive and punched you in the mouth, sometimes to a fault. I think Coach needs to go back and look at some of that stuff and try to marry some of those zone blitz concepts. Steve Spagnola is a branch off the same tree, and what you see from him is a bit more Johnson and the attacking mentality. We need some of that back. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You know what I find frustrating? McDermott was a disciple of the late Jim Johnson. Coach Johnson's defense was very aggressive and punched you in the mouth, sometimes to a fault. I think Coach needs to go back and look at some of that stuff and try to marry some of those zone blitz concepts. Steve Spagnola is a branch off the same tree, and what you see from him is a bit more Johnson and the attacking mentality. We need some of that back. 

This mirrors my own thoughts. If Frazier moves on, I would hope for McD to look for someone that’s going to be more aggressive with blitzing the QB. It is an obvious missing piece given McD’s coaching heritage.

Not sure such a change would help against KC since Mahomes does a great job against the blitz, but it would help against many other teams. It would probably be more fun to watch as well.

i want to keep the core or our O the same, but change up play calling/themes in what we do on game day.  

on D, we have schematic and construction issues.  i think we try to limit everything just enough and rely on guys rallying to the ball, outstanding coverage, and pass rush in waves to get it done.  a failure in any of those and it falls down.  while we put up great stats this year and 2 years ago, it isn't enough to stop modern top flight Os.  we need to be able to pressure off the edge to get anything done.  sitting back and hoping for mistakes and turnovers isn't getting it done.

i think we need to basically take resources out of depth and breadth and put them into a couple play makers, on o and D.  speed on O and a real pass rusher and we got a stew cookin.

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure I agree. They can tweak stuff, they do every year, but I don't agree with ripping up their philosophy. I don't know who the example of "aggressive" style defenses that are excelling in the league are? Maybe Tampa qualify.... Arizona.... but neither of them had great years defensively. 

People are upset and want change for the sake of change.

There’s really only so much you can do when you have a guy like Tyreek Hill going up against Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.