Okay the question since we are not Coaches & obviously know nothing... Did anyone after the TD think Kick it out of the end zone for a touchback?

Billsfan1972

I had no problem with the decision to kick it out of the endzone if Tyreek Hill were back there.  No way would I give that guy an opportunity to touch the ball in open space in that scenario.  If he's not out there (and he wasn't), then I like the option of kicking it high to the 5-10 yard line.  Surprised that didn't happen without Hill on the field.

I knew Mahomes had 3 timeouts.  There is no fair catch outside the endzone in the NFL. Force then to burn at least 4-5 seconds advancing.  Bass has been kicking that pop up to the 5 or 10 all season. As Scott Van Pelt said last night "I'll give up 20 yards for 5 seconds".  This will go down in  Bills history as one of McDermott's dumbest decisions. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No.  I wanted to make them return and burn some clock.  

6 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Like the 1st SB loss, coaching was the biggest reason the Bills failed to prevail.

Feet of clay when you need to be aggressive.  Went to the old coach's playbook.  It seems every time McD goes conservative in close games it bites the Bills

I thought squib but ultimately as I said in another post I was fine kicking it in the endzone. I dont want a bunch of special teams backups deciding the outcome of that game.  I would rather put my defense out there to prevent them from getting in FG range as opposed to a bunch of guys that are roster bottom feeders going against world class speed.

I was fine with the touchback. Avoid the return for a td and just play semi good defense for 1 play and we should have been fine. If you watch the play, mahomes had more than one option, you need people tracking the wrs and not flatfooted waiting for them to come to you. Its pretty simple, this is why people hate prevent.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I thought if you can't stop 2 passes you don't deserve to move on and here we are. 

I’m sure that’s what McDermott was thinking.  And that’s the conventional line of thought.  But you gotta read the room in this situation.  Chiefs went 75 yards in about 40 seconds and Bills went 75 yards in 50 seconds the previous 2 possessions.   Mahomes and Allen were playing on another planet and both defenses looked gassed and helpless.  

Kicking it out of the back of the end zone was fine.  All we needed to do was defend two plays -- don't let the go 40+ yards in two plays.  That was all.  Any NFL defense should be comfortable with that assignment against any NFL offense.

I mean, on the last play of the game, we just decided not to cover Travis freaking Kelce.  That's a bigger mistake than taking a touchback and not letting them rip off a return.

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I will admit I wanted it kicked deep. I didn’t want any shenanigans on a kick return and they could just fall on it anyway. No time was going off the clock. There was 13 seconds left. Make a ***** stop.

There's no reason McDermott shouldn't have expected his defense to be able to get that done.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

He must not be a Bills fan then

I've finally started to calm down from this game, and I've come to the realization that yes this sucked, at the same time we essentially lost to the team that's probably going to win the Super Bowl by a coin flip.

• Like (+1) 1

Clearly, the ‘D’ was struggling to cover as time wound down late in the 4th quarter.

Given this, the decision to kick it through the end zone did put them on the spot more than was necessary.

Might be the greatest example of how seconds “do” matter in pro football history.

Honestly didn't even think about it.  

I was celebrating the W. Still shocked 

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I've finally started to calm down from this game, and I've come to the realization that yes this sucked, at the same time we essentially lost to the team that's probably going to win the Super Bowl by a coin flip.

I'm beyond that mentality.  I truly believed we were SB bound this year. I personally don't care about being so close to victory. 

It was SB or Bust all year for me

44 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I knew Mahomes had 3 timeouts.  There is no fair catch outside the endzone in the NFL. Force then to burn at least 4-5 seconds advancing.  Bass has been kicking that pop up to the 5 or 10 all season. As Scott Van Pelt said last night "I'll give up 20 yards for 5 seconds".  This will go down in  Bills history as one of McDermott's dumbest decisions. 

Bang on.  Then compound it by rushing four and for some reason covering the sidelines when KC has 3 timeouts.  Double Hill and don't allow them 20 yards downfield.  

Kick it short to the 7-10 and coverage should have meant 30 yard line at best with 7 seconds left and one play!!!!!

25 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It’s one thing when this team is average masquerading in our minds as something more. I actually think we are the best team in the league right now. And to get THAT game from our QB. Those 2 drives were probably the 2 best Bills drives in 30 years. If you can’t win that game….it might just never happen. That really sucks. This year it was there. You can’t go back. We will most likely never have a better shot. Sickening 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.