Okay the question since we are not Coaches & obviously know nothing... Did anyone after the TD think Kick it out of the end zone for a touchback?

Billsfan1972

I would rather have had a touchback than risk a squib kick.  With 13 seconds left to go, you have to trust your defense with your opponent at their 25 yard line.  No reason to try a squib and potentially hand them the ball at midfield.  

Obviously a fair catch at the 10 would have been optimal, but a touchback was fine.  Just play defense and win the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

I would rather have had a touchback than risk a squib kick.  With 13 seconds left to go, you have to trust your defense with your opponent at their 25 yard line.  No reason to try a squib and potentially hand them the ball at midfield.  

Obviously a fair catch at the 10 would have been optimal, but a touchback was fine.  Just play defense and win the game.

Idk what squib kicks people here have seen lol they sometimes get back to the goal line area but a lot of times they get fielded by upbacks especially when they know it’s coming 

• Agree 2

I actually thought kick it out of the endzone.  We just saw Hill return a punt to the redzone, and that game was so wild at the time I almost wanted them to slow down and force Mahomes 40 yards on two plays.  Problem is, we played too soft and the play design (especially on the first pass to Hill) was executed perfectly

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He's done it all year.  I doubt he got too amped.  But who knows.  

Anyone ask the question or listen to the answers?

It's the "I'm just going to leave it at execution" that raises the possibility for me. I want to go back and watch the kick and any sideline reaction in game....juat can't stomach turning that game back on it the moment.

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

It's the "I'm just going to leave it at execution" that raises the possibility for me. I want to go back and watch the kick and any sideline reaction in game....juat can't stomach turning that game back on it the moment.

it's vague.  Coudl have been defensive execution.  Sideline reaction as you noted would be telling.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RyanC883 said:

it's vague.  Coudl have been defensive execution.  Sideline reaction as you noted would be telling.  

Well, McD is normally pretty vague. However this Tweet specifies this is about the kick itself and nothing about defense. 

If in fact it was just Bass putting too much on the ball this would be McD's answer to a T. Wouldn't throw his young kicker under the bus like some coaches. He's willing to take the heat.

• Like (+1) 1

Okay just checked.....  Bass did the full 7 yard run up and kicked it into the end zone.  When he was kicking pop-ups during the year to the 5-10 yard, he would do a 3 yard approach.

And Pringle was back to field the kick, not Hill.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I fully thought kick it into the endzone, too many weird things could happen otherwise. I didn’t expect the defense to protect the sidelines in a prevent lineup, never challenging the KC receivers. That’s where the game was lost, not the kickoff.

• Agree 3

Chiefs offense was on fire all night, and the Bills had no answer on defense. Bills' special teams coverage is excellent, and they have been doing the kick to the goalline thing with good results all season. I have no idea in the world why they instead chose to leave it up to the D to seal the win last night. They completed the debacle by calling the worst possible defensive plan for the final two plays. 

Absolutely putrid coaching decisions. I feel so bad for the players. It's a shame, because the Bills' coaching staff is generally excellent and has built a winning culture and a fantastic team. But they stink at the critical strategy calls. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I have a feeling we wanted the pop up kick and bass mishit it and McDermott isn’t one to throw anyone under the bus 

I honestly think Mcd thought they wouldn't get where they did with 13 seconds and wanted it kicked out of the EZ. It's easy to over think it when the unthinkable happens.. 

I do see where your coming from as he said 'execution and I will leave it at' that in the presser. 

Edited by london_bills

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I said to everyone at my place to kick it to like the 10 yard line and have them run 6-7 seconds off the clock.

Some thought squib, but then you can just fall on it.

Did anyone think kick it out of the end zone for a touchback????

The touchback did not bother me.

A squib kick is no guarantee either. You can do a squib kick and the receiving team can pick it up but then immediately give themselves up on the play and you probably get one second off the clock.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Thank you (+1) 1

to answer the thread title question...No I did not intrinsically Think "Oh yes kick out of the back of the endzone for a touchback"....when it happened I was caught up with the Glory of what we had just witnessed. I just wanted those seconds Gone. At the time , nd yes Im clearly not a coach...But They ARE paid coaches so I cant say wether the kicker simply kicked it too far from adrenaline or he was told to do what he did. McDermott won't throw his player under the bus, has not and will not even if that scenario was true. imo

m

6 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The touchback did not bother me.

A squib kick is no guarantee either. You can do a squib kick and the receiving team can pick it up but then immediately give themselves up on the play and you probably get one second of the clock.

Im kind of droopy today this post is in a way soothing I appreciate it.

m

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I thought squib but after the game realized the clock doesn’t start till the ball is touched.  They just fall in the ball and declare themselves and it saves no time.  Then I thought they should pooch it to around the 5 and force them to run it back which would take time off the clock.

But listening to Sal right now on WGR and he said he asked Feely on the sideline at the time.  Feeler said you kick it into the end zone; too many weird things could happen if you let them field it.  Feeley said you rely on your D to do their job for 13 seconds.

and they didn’t.

That's what I thought. Why try to waste time returning when squib kick. Get done fast and let Mahomes try his best.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.