It was all lined up for a SB victory, then poof, gone

zow2

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

I can't pull for Mahomes and KC.  But if winning another SB takes the edge off the Chiefs hunger over the next year or two I'll consider it.

I can give the Chiefs their due for being the better team. But almost to a man that team is wholly unlikable..impossible for a neutral to pull for them imo.

16 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

This is what kills me, the Super Bowl was gift wrapped for the Bills if we just won this game. The Bengals? Really? Probably the Rams? It's never going to get easier than that and we blew it. Might as well give the Chiefs the trophy now. 

It was. Rams ( more likely) or 49ers could beat either Chiefs or Bengals though. 

17 hours ago, zow2 said:

How many other chances will a Bills team have when they are statistically ranked high in all categories, fantastic QB, hardly any injuries...would have to beat the Bengals at home then Stafford/Garrapolo.  KC and Mahomes at Arrowhead are way tougher than any of those 3 teams. 

This game will leave a scar for sure.  Not sure how the Bills overcome this next season when the AFC East could be harder and the schedule is tough..  Who knows about injuries, etc..

Just a lost opportunity that Buffalo will never get back (thanks D). People like to say Mahomes/Allen is the best new QB rivalry but it's not really a rivalry if only one guy wins the playoff matchups.  I know the Bills will be a factor for a few more years but man, no guarantees.  I hope Allen's body doesn't break down over time before we can get a Championship. He deserves it.  We deserve it.

Just moved to Buffalo? Visit TBD for tips on the best wings, pizza, weck, tailgates, and reacting to the latest sports heartbreak.

I think there is a dangerous line of thinking SB was ours no doubt vs it was a really great opportunity. I do not disagree that the Bills blew a tremendous opportunity, but I won't go as far as saying we absolutely unequivocally would've won it all. As the Bills in SB25 showed just because you should win does not mean you do.

It was an opportunity squandered. While there are no guarantees in life or football, no one will be surprised if/when KC wins the Super Bowl. It's already inevitable to think, "that could have been us."

Consider:

1) It's been suggested that the Bills should have squibbed or blooped the last kickoff before OT. The counter-argument of course is the Music City Miracle or even a straight-forward kickoff return for a TD. That decision is at least debatable.

2) However regarding the last 13 seconds from scrimmage, Romo made the legit point that the Bills needn't rush 4 because with 13 seconds left Mahomes was gonna throw quickly before the pressure arrived anyways. So why didn't the Bills simply drop 11 into coverage? Time was the pass rusher (one Mississippi, two Mississippi, etc). You could double team their top 3 receivers and still have 5 players dropping into zone coverage.

3) OR: why not play press coverage and commit one holding or illegal contact penalty (committing two is a "palapably unfair act" and would result in a 15 yard penalty and no time elapsed)? Regardless of accepting or declining the 5 or 10 yard penalties, time would have elapsed. While a game cannot end on a defensive penalty the Bills would have at least been able to take time off the clock without giving up much yardage.

4) And again, why were the Bills guarding the sidelines when KC had 3 timeouts remaining???

In summary, the Bills could not have strategized the final 13 seconds any worse than they did. While that's on McDermott (a longtime DC) it's a failure of both he and Frazier and the whole defensive coaching staff.

No one on the defensive staff had a better idea than what they ended up doing?

I still love and support McDermott but this one's on him.

The only silver lining with this situation is if the Chiefs lose to the Bengals or the winner of SF/LA in the SB.

Then perhaps it was not a forgone conclusion the Bills would have went on to win the SB.

But at the end of the day you only get so many chances in this league and the last few years were as good as it gets but yet this team was not able to deliver. There are no guarantees the Bills will be in the same position again next year or anytime soon sadly.

On 1/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, CapeBreton said:

This is what kills me, the Super Bowl was gift wrapped for the Bills if we just won this game. The Bengals? Really? Probably the Rams? It's never going to get easier than that and we blew it. Might as well give the Chiefs the trophy now. 

We need to move on from this. The Bengals are a GOOD TEAM, and Burrow is legit.  That game was no cakewalk.

And the Rams? That's the most fierce pass rush in the league. Stafford?  Kupp?  

Personally, I don't think we're quite at the Rams level in terms of balance. Obviously, Allen is the differentiator - but our D doesn't have that disruptor that we need.

I'm starting to think this all happened for a reason. When we do make the SB - there will be no doubt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.