Arrowhead atmosphere

beebe

5 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

For me, that Denver game was the loudest ever, although games of that era, were generally not too far below that. A sellout crowd back then, was 80,240. We'll never see (hear) that sound pressure level ever again, in Orchard Park.

If they build the new stadium in OP and design it in a certain way to maximize crowd noise, we might, despite fewer fans.

I'm not an acoustical engineer however.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

GREAT STORY---THANKS FOR THIS.

I've never heard something like that before.

Ironically, I was just thinking about that game like 5 days ago---I was now somewhat fuzzy on the details (watched it live at the time of course) and re-watched a video of all the excitement on youtube to refresh my memory of events.

So that is very fresh in my mind.

That's cool that you heard a roaring crowd 2 miles away in your home.

I guess it feels a little bit like a funeral this week, so you start telling stories about the glory days. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2022 at 6:28 AM, beebe said:

For those who attended last night, curious to hear about your experience at Arrowhead? Did Arrowhead meet/exceed expectations? How were you treated by fans? Where did the game rank on your list of those you've been to (outcome aside)? Overall just interested in hearing about everyone's time at the game. 

Overall it was probably the most enjoyable game day experience I have attended away. KC has the nicest loudest fan in the nfl. I have never been in a stadium that was absolutely deafening. I always thought theirs no way anyone tailgates better that Buffalo. I was wrong we need to step up our tailgating. Seemed like everyone had a pop up tent with a Honda generator to service tv’s and sound systems. Clouds of smoke from some sort of meet being smoked. Chiefs fans were just bringing plates of food over to us saying welcome. I was asked several times when we would be jumping thru tables. I would just say as soon as you clear the food off of it. The only problem I had is when we scored and went up with :13 left some tuff guy threw his beer at me. I turned around his buddy said sorry this isn’t what KC is about yoked up his buddy and took him out. I will definitely go back. Just won’t drive again.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

What is it about Arrowhead, opened in 1972, that people aren't crying for a new stadium, ala Rich/Ralph/New Era/Highmark, opened in 1973?

Structurally, the stadium is still in fantastic shape. The renovation in ~2010 really classed the place up. No, it is not super modern and swanky looking like SoFi and the new Vegas stadium. It does not have amazing amenities. But it still looks amazing and when you walk in it feels like the ultimate football venue. Every seat in the stadium has been replaced with new seats as well over the last four years. 

My biggest peeve with the new stadiums being built is the field and game seems almost an afterthought. There's all these bells and whistles on the concourse, and there's tons of extra (wasted) square feet inside. And you just feel so, so disconnected. I've been to the aforementioned SoFi and Vegas stadiums, as well as some of the more modern stadiums built in the last decade plus. All of them have atmospheres that make me feel like I'm at a baseball game. 

Edited by beebe
typo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is an awesome thread.  I’m glad those of you who came had a great time even though it didn’t end the way you’d hoped.  If you ever come back, shoot me a message and I’ll buy you a beer and a folding table.  My office is literally a block from Taps on Main that @AdrianW mentioned.  I had no idea it was owned by a Bills fan, and I go there quite a bit.

This has all the makings of an annual event.  Maybe someday you can host it if you ever get a domed stadium downtown.

Edited by Billl

4 hours ago, Success said:

I always hear that Chiefs fans are really great people - kind of like us, in person.

It's really inexplicable to me that their board is so toxic.  

Chiefsplanet is an interesting animal.  I used to be a frequent poster there but stopped a few years ago due to the level of right-wing extremism that started drowning out pretty much everything there.  Sucks because it used to be a really great forum. That said, much of the “toxic” football related stuff is tongue in cheek, so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

What is it about Arrowhead, opened in 1972, that people aren't crying for a new stadium, ala Rich/Ralph/New Era/Highmark, opened in 1973?

I'm pretty sure the two stadiums (stadia?) were designed by the same architect and were pretty much identical when first opened.  Not sure that's still true after the remodels...

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

Chiefsplanet is an interesting animal.  I used to be a frequent poster there but stopped a few years ago due to the level of right-wing extremism that started drowning out pretty much everything there.  Sucks because it used to be a really great forum. That said, much of the “toxic” football related stuff is tongue in cheek, so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

I've been told that about the "tongue in cheek" thing. I guess it's just not my sensibility.  I always check out opponents' boards before we have a match-up w/ them, and KC's really stands out.  

I don't judge the fanbase by it (no one should w/ anything online), but it is kind of odd.  I vowed I'd never go back, and haven't.  Still, I really like Mahomes & KC (I might get a few downvotes for that).  I like a lot of teams that are left, but it wouldn't bother me at all to see Mahomes & Reid get #2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Can confirm it's a great place to watch a game.  I've only been once, in 1995 for a pre-season game between the Bills and Chiefs -- I was driving across country and visiting my grandfather in KC, realized the Bills were playing that night, and went.  The place was packed (for a pre-season game!) and it was pretty great all around.  Except for the heavyset lady in the parking lot who saw my Bills t-shirt and gave me the double bird.  I was like yeah, sorry we just kept you out of the Super Bowl twice.  I'd say I hope she's happy now, but I wouldn't bet on her still being around.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BRH said:

Can confirm it's a great place to watch a game.  I've only been once, in 1995 for a pre-season game between the Bills and Chiefs -- I was driving across country and visiting my grandfather in KC, realized the Bills were playing that night, and went.  The place was packed (for a pre-season game!) and it was pretty great all around.  Except for the heavyset lady in the parking lot who saw my Bills t-shirt and gave me the double bird.  I was like yeah, sorry we just kept you out of the Super Bowl twice.  I'd say I hope she's happy now, but I wouldn't bet on her still being around.

Mrs. Lew and I were at that game also.  The fans were nice, except for the 4 teenage girls who gave us half the peace sign.

• Like (+1) 1

I lived in KC for a year and I had more football related talks with Chiefs fans than I could possibly remember.  They love to talk X's and O's that's for sure.  These people take their professional family photos wearing Chiefs gear and they take their tailgating very seriously with preparations starting days prior (especially since the NFL started opening the lots only 4 hours prior to kickoff, which really cuts into meat smoking time!)  I'm happy to hear the experience for our fans was predominantly positive because I gained a lot of respect for Chiefs fans during my time there.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

This is an awesome thread.  I’m glad those of you who came had a great time even though it didn’t end the way you’d hoped.  If you ever come back, shoot me a message and I’ll buy you a beer and a folding table.  My office is literally a block from Taps on Main that @AdrianW mentioned.  I had no idea it was owned by a Bills fan, and I go there quite a bit.

This has all the makings of an annual event.  Maybe someday you can host it if you ever get a domed stadium downtown.

I try to get to the Bills home opener and one road game a year. KC is high on my list of places to attend a game. It “feels” a bit like a Bills home game, said the guy who’s never been there. I don’t know why, but I guess a no frills stadium and super passionate fans in a non-glitzy city who love to tailgate are a big part of that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

If they build the new stadium in OP and design it in a certain way to maximize crowd noise, we might, despite fewer fans.

Seattle's current stadium is much louder than the old Kingdome.

1 hour ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Is Arrowhead even louder than the Ralph?

Yeah, they set a Guinness World record for loudest crowd noise a few years ago.

1 hour ago, beebe said:

Structurally, the stadium is still in fantastic shape. The renovation in ~2010 really classed the place up. No, it is not super modern and swanky looking like SoFi and the new Vegas stadium. It does not have amazing amenities. But it still looks amazing and when you walk in it feels like the ultimate football venue. Every seat in the stadium has been replaced with new seats as well over the last four years. 

My biggest peeve with the new stadiums being built is the field and game seems almost an afterthought. There's all these bells and whistles on the concourse, and there's tons of extra (wasted) square feet inside. And you just feel so, so disconnected. I've been to the aforementioned SoFi and Vegas stadiums, as well as some of the more modern stadiums built in the last decade plus. All of them have atmospheres that make me feel like I'm at a baseball game. 

kC does have pretty sweet concourses too.

1 hour ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Is Arrowhead even louder than the Ralph?

Yes.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I'm pretty sure the two stadiums (stadia?) were designed by the same architect and were pretty much identical when first opened.  Not sure that's still true after the remodels...

Arrowhead and Kaufmann Stadium (Royals) were structurally built perfectly side by side so that there could be a rolling roof that slid from one stadium to the next on a track. Meaning, yes, Arrowhead could have been a domed stadium if they wanted for brutal weather games, and an outdoor stadium when conditions were nicer. And this idea was conceived all the way back in 1967. Unfortunately, the stadium construction came in over budget, and then even more over budget, so they had to cut somewhere. And the rolling roof is what was left out. 

You can see the two stadiums on aerial views here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=truman+sports+complex&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwirwpPQgs71AhXQkIkEHasGB90Q_AUoA3oECAIQBQ&biw=1457&bih=781&dpr=1.8#imgrc=Bsw4zC_ouz6r1M

Edited by beebe
typo

34 minutes ago, beebe said:

Arrowhead and Kaufmann Stadium (Royals) were structurally built perfectly side by side so that there could be a rolling roof that slid from one stadium to the next on a track. Meaning, yes, Arrowhead could have been a domed stadium if they wanted for brutal weather games, and an outdoor stadium when conditions were nicer. And this idea was conceived all the way back in 1967. Unfortunately, the stadium construction came in over budget, and then even more over budget, so they had to cut somewhere. And the rolling roof is what was left out. 

You can see the two stadiums on aerial views here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=truman+sports+complex&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwirwpPQgs71AhXQkIkEHasGB90Q_AUoA3oECAIQBQ&biw=1457&bih=781&dpr=1.8#imgrc=Bsw4zC_ouz6r1M

I meant Arrowhead and Rich Stadium (now Highmark)

5 hours ago, Billl said:

loudest stadium I have ever been. Cool tailgating scene and WWI museum was phenomenal.   Most of fans cool and knowledgeable.  Just like BLO, some morons but all and all some real good people. I’m sure in a few weeks after I’ve recovered from 13 seconds, I’ll say it was a cool experience. Lol.  Go Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.