Another hot take - did Mahomes really play out of his skin yesterday?

UKBillFan

As, to put it bluntly, we actually made it very easy for him. He carved through our defense like a knife through butter but I don’t think he needed to bring his A Game to do so. There were three drives, IIRC, where we managed to stop him but otherwise too much blown coverage and easy downs. 

This isn’t a post about how he isn’t as good as Josh etc. as he clearly is, I just think we made life simple yesterday for him and that’s what hurts. The 13-second play was as much about horrific defense as it was superb offense.

"Alright Patrick, 13 seconds left. You need to get 60 yards for a FG. Now that giant TE that you throw to all the time? He's going to run straight down the field completely uncovered. Let's see what you're made of."

There was nothing superb about that 13 seconds from Mahomes point of view. McD and Frazier are ######s. The craziest part about it to me is that they actually called a TO before both of the Chiefs last drive plays. WTF did they talk about for that to be the result? Did they actually gather the team and tell them "don't cover Kelce"

• Agree 1

It seemed to me that after the first drive, our D Linemen were more worried about containing him than pressuring and sacking him.  

Mahomes absolutely played well - really well.  But he had too much time.   And KC play-design was sometimes getting people open and other times his targets were good enough to gain separation even when we had coverage.  

In other words, our D didn't make it hard enough on him.   Which I suppose it simply stating the blindingly obvious. 

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

If Allen did what Mahomes did, we'd all be lauding him with accoldades so...

And perhaps KC fans are saying their defense made it easy on him. Though guess it’s easier to give a nod to great play after a win.

That 13 second play was all on out defense rather than Mahomes’ undoubted skills, though.

That 13 second time left was all on the coaches. Like Romo stated, make them field the kick and return it to take time off the clock.

Then, double cover Kelce and Hill and not allow them to run free in the middle. That Buffalo defensive scheme at the very end was very questionable. 

#1 defense my arse...

I hope both Frazier and Daboll get a job somewhere else...