Why All The Clean Releases For Kelce and Hill?

Bleedbuffaloblue

8 hours ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

I have to assume the Bills defensive brain trust must figure Mahomes will just find someone else to throw the ball to, but for the life of me I just don’t see why at least in some of the most critical situations (like that final 13 seconds) that they continually allow these two critical receiver weapons to just release freely from the line of scrimmage into the secondary with no one really near them most of the time? Why not jam these guys at the line to at least attempt to disrupt the timing of the play if nothing else? These two guys are continually killing the Bills and it’s almost like we are inviting it.

Bad Coaching

6 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

The funniest part is McD spending those timeouts to make sure we had the right call in place first 😂

Even funnier is McD played himself, because Kelce got a look at our ridiculous coverage and told Mahomes, who then attacked it when we put the same coverage back out there.  

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Right I wouldn’t argue that specific situation was badly managed …but the general statement ‘the bend but don’t break school of losing football’ I didn’t agree with for multiple reasons.  First being…I think you only rush 4 if you think you can get the sack to end the game.  That was honestly an overly aggressive defense for the situation in my mind.  A ‘true’ prevent defense probably wins that game. 

A true prevent would have been not allowing Kelce or Hill from getting off the line of scrimmage even if it meant tackling them. Also extra dbs could helped coverage schemes instead of rushing 4.Those plays take 5 seconds each and then its a Hail Mary. McD whiffed on the last 13 seconds and should own the loss. He's a defensive coach and had no answers for Mahomes the whole 4th qtr and OT.

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

A true prevent would have been not allowing Kelce or Hill from getting off the line of scrimmage even if it meant tackling them. Also extra dbs could helped coverage schemes instead of rushing 4.Those plays take 5 seconds each and then its a Hail Mary. McD whiffed on the last 13 seconds and should own the loss. He's a defensive coach and had no answers for Mahomes the whole 4th qtr and OT.

I agree with most of that except you’ve gotta be careful with intentional holds late in games now.:.they changed those rules after some harbaugh antics a few years ago lol 15 yard penalties for holds to manipulate clock these days.  Should’ve rushed 2 and had more dbs on the field at the very least 

• Agree 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I agree with most of that except you’ve gotta be careful with intentional holds late in games now.:.they changed those rules after some harbaugh antics a few years ago lol 15 yard penalties for holds to manipulate clock these days.  Should’ve rushed 2 and had more dbs on the field at the very least 

Had to be better than what we did. We gave Kelce a 30 yd reception with 10 seconds left. Horrific. 

5 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

They were scared to death of Tyreek Hill speed

That was obvious. And his speed still killed us. Sure, you took away the long bomb to Tyreek. That just means Reid will run those crossing routes where Tyreek catches it 10 yards downfield, breaks a tackle (as he always does) and gains 30 yards anyway. Or more. 
The Bills were playing KC the way teams (including us) beat them in the first half of the season - take away the long throws, make them beat you by matriculating the ball down the field. Problem is that KC adjusted to those tactics, while Frazier and Co failed to adjust to what KC is now doing. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Here is what some anonymous coaches had to say in today’s Athletic:

Coverages didn’t seem to matter at times, but they did in the final 13 seconds.

“How about the pass to Kelce to set up the field goal?” the offensive coach said. “What was that corner doing? He was five yards outside Kelce and just watched him run inside there. I mean, they’re protecting the sideline, but they had timeouts. You can’t protect the sideline when they had timeouts. It was situational football that was bad. That happens when things get tight.”

An exec with experience playing quarterback said he could see that play unfolding before the snap.

“I’m sitting here saying, ‘They’re going to throw it to Kelce on the other side, and they’ve only got one (defender) over there,’ ” this exec said. “I said, ‘I can’t believe they’re going to let it happen, and he’s going to be able to run for 20 or 30 yards.’ And if I can see it on TV before the play starts, I can’t believe they let it happen.”

I honestly think they were so scared of another 'Hail Murray' situation because of Mahomes ability that they were in some ways simply willing to hedge their bets and 'accept' the tying FG worst case as strange as that sounds.

But again, that's still a loser mentality and terrible coaching if the case and doesn't happen in 99 times out of 100 games played in similar circumstances.

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Here is what some anonymous coaches had to say in today’s Athletic:

Coverages didn’t seem to matter at times, but they did in the final 13 seconds.

“How about the pass to Kelce to set up the field goal?” the offensive coach said. “What was that corner doing? He was five yards outside Kelce and just watched him run inside there. I mean, they’re protecting the sideline, but they had timeouts. You can’t protect the sideline when they had timeouts. It was situational football that was bad. That happens when things get tight.”

An exec with experience playing quarterback said he could see that play unfolding before the snap.

“I’m sitting here saying, ‘They’re going to throw it to Kelce on the other side, and they’ve only got one (defender) over there,’ ” this exec said. “I said, ‘I can’t believe they’re going to let it happen, and he’s going to be able to run for 20 or 30 yards.’ And if I can see it on TV before the play starts, I can’t believe they let it happen.”

This is pretty damming for McDermott. Some will try to blame Frazier because it's an easier fix in their mind, but McDermott wilts in the biggest moments unlike Josh Allen.

What can one respond to these criticisms? There are no excuses that are sufficient. But I know they will just say "playoffs 4 out of 5 years" over and over again.

8 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

They should have been literally tackled at the line of scrimmage for a couple plays until the time ran out. Oh and also squib kick.

You can’t do that anymore that’s a 15 yard penalty for intentionally holding guys to run out the clock.  Certainly could’ve tried jamming them for a bit though. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Idk why we single out our coaches for this pretty much everyone plays the chiefs that way.  And us also.  

Because the alternative is giving credit to the other team, and obviously that’s not an option.  Kelce and Hill only combined for 41 catches and 536 receiving yards in the last 2 playoff games against the Bills so it can’t be that they’re just HOF caliber players who made HOF caliber plays.  It must be that the DC of the number 1 defense in the NFL is a bad coach.

3 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Didn't know that. Do they reset the game clock?

Yes

Just now, Billl said:

Because the alternative is giving credit to the other team, and obviously that’s not an option.  Kelce and Hill only combined for 41 catches and 536 receiving yards in the last 2 playoff games against the Bills so it can’t be that they’re just HOF caliber players who made HOF caliber plays.  It must be that the DC of the number 1 defense in the NFL is a bad coach.

Really? You don't think Kelce and Hill are given credit here? Despite their obvious talent, the way the last 13 seconds of regulation played out was certainly a coaching issue.

Everything that KC ran was underneath. Either our linebackers are at fault for not making plays or it is the coaching scheme on how they are used. Also on Mahomes scrambles, once he broke through the line their was no one to take him down. Again I would assume our linebacking core failed on those scrambles.

7 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

This is pretty damming for McDermott. Some will try to blame Frazier because it's an easier fix in their mind, but McDermott wilts in the biggest moments unlike Josh Allen.

What can one respond to these criticisms? There are no excuses that are sufficient. But I know they will just say "playoffs 4 out of 5 years" over and over again.

They blew that play without a doubt…I’m sure his seat will get hot if we have a few similar playoff exits but after this one I doubt anything will change.

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Loll clue me in?  Doubling the household name player all game and letting a great player torch your single coverage all night long is far from an impressive gameplan is all I’m saying. It’s pretty subjective who we decide to deem ‘a star’…Davis has been the hero many times in his short career so far.    Chiefs defense got absolutely pantsed and we bailed them out with that bungled 13 seconds.  

Let us agree to disagree.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.