Reviewing Beane

Milanos Milano

7 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

I can’t believe the amount of people who don’t remember the drought and the terrible GMs and coaches we had before. You guys want to chase out arguably the best GM/HC combo we’ve ever had

It’s a mixed bag. Our #1 issue is our coaching staff on defense, not so much the players themselves. That’s bad on McD, not Beane. I can’t think of a more unimaginative defense, they’re stat queens, that’s about it.

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

42 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I almost laughed out loud when I read this it was such a bad take.  Like might honestly be the worst one I have seen yet and that is saying something around here.  Find me a roster that is good enough to win in the playoffs WITHOUT their top 3 QB...lmao.  

Yet without our #1 defense in the league carrying us in various games this season while our offense was out of sync, we not only would NOT have won the division, we may have not even made the playoffs. 

But hey, since all of our success and wins were ONLY Allen...why not cut or trade away all the guys Beanes signed and drafted to help Josh.  According to you, they add nothing and its all Josh anyway.  Get rid of Diggs, Cole, Davis, Knox, the OL etc...save that cap space and just get some JAGs off the street for vet min.  All of our success was ONLY Josh anyway, so we shouldn't miss a beat right?  

Geezus.  

Don't be too quick there. I think if you go back and look at the history of his posts, I'm sure you will find some that are even worse...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Haha (+1) 2

I have been hard on Beane. I will probably continue to do so. Philips is starting to become a player that I am happy is on this team and Oliver is becoming pretty disruptive on a regular basis. The OL seemed to also find some form with Brown looking like a mauler. 

I think Beane is a B to a B+ in a league with a bell curve, where being a standard deviation better than your peers is difficult. I think we wasted resources on Singletary AND Moss being picked back to back. AJE continues to bother me. Ford sucks. Some picks have panned out better than I thought they would. But the double dip at RB, Ford, and AJE are too many wasted top 100 picks when we keep taking guys in the top 100 who have taken years to develop.

The next few off seasons are where GM's make their money. Keeping the team in contention while you rotate through the roster. He will have to find more immediate impact.

He hit on Allen and he is a stud. So that is really the most that matters. 

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

So, the #1 rated defense, some amazing young stars at WR and an amazing threat at TE don’t count? How about a great young kicker and solid special teams. You’re just cranky. Maybe a Snickers bar would help?  🤷‍♂️

Apparently #1 rated means nothing against 13 seconds of bad play at the wrong time.  And I can't call Knox "amazing" yet, though he contributed far more than I thought he would.  But otherwise:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don't think he is going anywhere 

As he shouldn’t, he’s literally the man that brought us our heir apparent to Kelly. The last QB we had that was decent post Kelly was Flutie and Fitzpatrick. We literally have a franchise and possible HOF QB in Allen. Moving on from Beane would be as nine to the maximum degree.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Andy Reid won a SB when he landed an elite QB…. I think fans are frustrated because the coaching staff blew and incredible performance from its QB… next level incompetency. 

Anyone calling for McDs head is being irrational. Questioning his ability to take this team to the SB with some of his game day tactics and decisions is reasonable IMO.

I think that last sentence is fair, but wasn't it 2018 or 2019 when Tony Dungy said flat out "the Chiefs may win a championship, but it won't be with Andy Reid as HC"  (this was because of some of his in-game decisions)?

The point is, coaches of winning teams who haven't done it (yet) are questioned all the time.  Sean McVay has that question hanging over him after his 2018 SB loss.

And the questions will remain (in both Seans resumes) until they do.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane built a perennial SB contender from scratch in essentially 2 years.  Guess y’all missed that.  

He is one of the best GMs in football, it’s stunning how some people forget life before Beane and have such a lack of appreciation for what he’s built.  

PS:  All the same people criticizing Beane saying he hasn’t been good enough are the same people saying our coaches blew a SB this year at end of the game.  So Beane builds what you call an almost certain SB champion if not for 13 seconds, but then come in here and say Beane isn’t good enough now.  Only on TSW does that make sense. 

If we defend a single pass in 4th quarter or Butker misses a FG we aren't having these conversations.  What a petulant fanbase the mafia has become after 2 years of being relevant.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that last sentence is fair, but wasn't it 2018 or 2019 when Tony Dungy said flat out "the Chiefs may win a championship, but it won't be with Andy Reid as HC"  (this was because of some of his in-game decisions)?

The point is, coaches of winning teams who haven't done it (yet) are questioned all the time.  Sean McVay has that question hanging over him after his 2018 SB loss.

And the questions will remain (in both Seans resumes) until they do.

Considering his play calling in the second half of his last game, I'm not sure he can do it. The Rams really fell apart and lucked into that last reception. 

22 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Maybe I will break down KCs roster drafts vs FA. 

If your contention is "not the architect of a SB winning roster", sure

If your contention is what you stated, "not a good showing", you need a broader sweep

2 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Beane said they specifically built 2021 off season to counter Pat. And, this style was presumably why we couldn’t handle Colts. Wwhat acquisition (besides Oliver) slowed down Pat? Again, taking them at their word and professed 2021 off season?

We were missing our best defensive player and another quality player who was starting when he hit IR.  I do think that should factor.

You can't review him on draft picks alone, he has brought in key free agents such as Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Frank Gore, Feliciano, Mitch Morse, Darryl Williams, Emmanuel Sanders, drafted Josh Allen, Gabriel Davis, Devin Singletary, Matt Milano and traded for Diggs. Not only has he made some great moves he's also help turn the entire culture of the locker room around. Oh and to top it off we've went from a 17 year drought to making the playoffs every season under GM Beane and 3-4 seasons as McDermott as HC.

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Apparently #1 rated means nothing against 13 seconds of bad play at the wrong time.  And I can't call Knox "amazing" yet, though he contributed far more than I thought he would.  But otherwise:

I may be overly excited because I’ve always loved his potential and he seemed to put it together this year. He finished tied for second among TD’s for TE’s this year, only one behind Travis Kelce. I’m pretty darn pleased and expect him to be a Pro Bowl level TE for years to come. Not bad for a guy who couldn’t get into the end zone in college! 

Anyway, another very fine addition by Beane & Co. 

RIP Betty White! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I hope eventually cool heads prevail. It was a cruel and, admittedly, avoidable defeat. I still can't get my head around the fact that is it. No more Bills football for 7 months. It doesn't have that feeling of finality somehow. 

I am not a particularly emotional sort but I get that others are and need to vent. People need to take a step back. Look at the big picture. McDermott is imperfect. He made some bad choices last night. Beane is imperfect and he has missed with some premium assets to find enough of those big moment difference makers. But they still have a huge amount of credit in the bank for what they have done. The Bills will be back. We own the east. We are right there with Kansas City and for all the hand wringing about the Bengals and the Chargers they are not until they prove that they are. Cincy gets a shot this week. Let's see how they fare. 

Well said Gunner, I feel the same for the most part.  McD and Beane have been one of the best tandems in the league over their time.  You would be hard pressed to find a duo that has accomplished more than what they have in the same time period.  Took the franchise from obscurity and made it into one of the best teams in the league in short fashion.  I am fully confident our time will come while Allen is our QB too. 

Now...on the other hand I think I am done with Daboll and Frazier personally.  Daboll is too inconsistent in how he calls games.  He was driving me crazy in the first half, even my fiance was screaming at him in the first half.  With Frazier, I think we often make good halftime adjustments (like the Bucs game), but I think that has more to do with McD having input on those adjustments more than Frazier.  Where Frazier has been a liability is he has bad situational awareness in how he calls his defense, and is terrible at adjusting in game on the fly when things are not working. 

I think for us to take the next step, new blood at OC and DC are what this team needs (assuming they get the hires right as it can definitely also end up worse too).  Allen is at that point now where he is an elite player, I think bringing in some new ideas and schemes will benefit him and this offense, especially the defense.

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I may be overly excited because I’ve always loved his potential and he seemed to put it together this year. He finished tied for second among TD’s for TE’s this year, only one behind Travis Kelce. I’m pretty darn pleased and expect him to be a Pro Bowl level TE form years to come. Not bad for a guy who couldn’t get into the end zone in college!

I fully acknowledge that he improved, and that his broken/rehabbing  hand may have hindered him the back half of the season.

But he finished something like 18th among TE for number of receptions and 15th among TE for receiving yards.

That's not exactly the stuff of probowls - Yet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I fully acknowledge that he improved, and that his broken/rehabbing  hand may have hindered him the back half of the season.

But he finished something like 18th among TE for number of receptions and 15th among TE for receiving yards.

That's not exactly the stuff of probowls - Yet.

Yeah, he wasn't overly productive overall outside of TD's...but to be fair to Knox though, he also can't catch what isn't thrown at him as he wasn't getting a lot of targets either.  Also, with our struggles to pass protect and run block, Knox became important in those areas too which is why I think he wasn't a focal point as much in the offense as he maybe could be.  Feels like he really played a bigger role in the Redzone.  

He still needs to clean up the easy drops though.  He will make a catch that makes your head turn then drop a 6 yard pass right in his hands.  But I do think this was the start of his emergence this year.

I think if they further improve the OL this offseason, we could see them unleash Knox more often as a receiver next year.  

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well said Gunner, I feel the same for the most part.  McD and Beane have been one of the best tandems in the league over their time.  You would be hard pressed to find a duo that has accomplished more than what they have in the same time period.  Took the franchise from obscurity and made it into one of the best teams in the league in short fashion.  I am fully confident our time will come while Allen is our QB too. 

Now...on the other hand I think I am done with Daboll and Frazier personally.  Daboll is too inconsistent in how he calls games.  He was driving me crazy in the first half, even my fiance was screaming at him in the first half.  With Frazier, I think we often make good halftime adjustments (like the Bucs game), but I think that has more to do with McD having input on those adjustments more than Frazier.  Where Frazier has been a liability is he has bad situational awareness in how he calls his defense, and is terrible at adjusting in game on the fly when things are not working. 

I think for us to take the next step, new blood at OC and DC are what this team needs (assuming they get the hires right as it can definitely also end up worse too).  Allen is at that point now where he is an elite player, I think bringing in some new ideas and schemes will benefit him and this offense, especially the defense.

I'd keep both coordinators. I don't think it will happen. I think the Giants are going to hire Daboll. I think the Bills have one of the best sets of coordinators in the league and upgrading at either spot will not be easy. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd keep both coordinators. I don't think it will happen. I think the Giants are going to hire Daboll. I think the Bills have one of the best sets of coordinators in the league and upgrading at either spot will not be easy. 

Allen could literally call all the plays and have the same results. 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.