Reviewing Beane

Milanos Milano

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That was the thinking at the time. But he played pretty darn well for Denver in a mainly zone scheme last year do that was overblown IMO. 

He had the 2nd lowest coverage and overall grade of his career last year according to PFF at 58.7.  Only five pass breakups on 64 targets and no INT's or forced fumbles.  To be fair though he missed six games so it's a relatively small sample size.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

He had the 2nd lowest coverage and overall grade of his career last year according to PFF at 58.7.  Only five pass breakups on 64 targets and no INT's or forced fumbles.  To be fair though he missed six games so it's a relatively small sample size.

I haven't looked at his PFF grade but I saw him play 2 or 3 decent games last year. Was EJ Gaines a more natural fit for McD's scheme? Sure. But they didn't ditch Darby thinking they were upgrading. They ditched Darby to store up draft picks. It was absolutely the right move and helped the rebuild we are now reaping the benefits of. But to hold it up as an example of Brandon Beane playing any sort of significant role in the 2017 success is disingenuous IMO. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I haven't looked at his PFF grade but I saw him play 2 or 3 decent games last year. Was EJ Gaines a more natural fit for McD's scheme? Sure. But they didn't ditch Darby thinking they were upgrading. They ditched Darby to store up draft picks. It was absolutely the right move and helped the rebuild we are now reaping the benefits of. But to hold it up as an example of Brandon Beane playing any sort of significant role in the 2017 success is disingenuous IMO. 

I agree with that.  Watkins and Darby are/were better than Matthews and Gaines regardless of system.  Darby struggled last year though.  Especially his two games against the Raiders.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

His contract was expiring at the end of the year because they declined his 5th year option.  And that was because of his issues (poor attitude, effort and availability).

So it was based on Watkin's production or lack there of, which in turn is based partly on his attitude.   My only argument is that if Watkins had the same production and a better attitude, the Bills would have still not picked up the extension and would have still tried to trade him.   Obviously this a hypothetical and just my opinion.  

Again, I have a lot of respect for what Beane has accomplished,  However, Beane did not really contribute to the Bills making the playoffs in 2017.  Many of the things Beane did made the team worse for that year not better (in hope of future pay off)-- it wasn't just to get rid of malcontents.  I also believe that they expected the team to do badly, and then had to scramble to keep the team in the hunt.  That was the way I felt at the time and it is still my opinion now.  

Edited by Billy Claude

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

So it was based on Watkin's production or lack there of, which in turn is based partly on his attitude.   My only argument is that if Watkins had the same production and a better attitude, the Bills would have still not picked up the extension and would have still tried to trade him.   Obviously this a hypothetical and just my opinion.  

Again, I have a lot of respect for what Beane has accomplished,  However, Beane did not really contribute to the Bills making the playoffs in 2017.  Many of the things Beane did made the team worse for that year not better (in hope of future pay off)-- it wasn't just to get rid of malcontents.  I also believe that they expected the team to do badly, and then had to scramble to keep the team in the hunt.  That was the way I felt at the time and it is still my opinion now. 

If Sammy had a good attitude and production, I doubt they trade him and, on the contrary, I think they give him the 5th year option.  If he was productive but had a bad attitude or vice versa, it's less clear.  But the combination of attitude, production/availability made it an easier decision to trade him.

And I agree to a point that the moves Beane and McD made didn't make the Bills better that first year from a talent standpoint.  But from a team standpoint, you can't argue with the results.  Call it luck if you will, but they ended the drought and changed the culture.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 11:28 AM, IronMaidenBills said:

If our roster is so elite, why haven’t we won any Super Bowls? Shouldn’t elite rosters beat other less elite rosters? Are we not winning Super Bowls because of coaching? Afterall, how is it possible for a lesser talented roster (Ram), to win a super bowl before the Bills? 

you do know that the best teams don’t necessarily win it all 

right ?

• 1 month later...

688 games for the Bills played by players drafted since 2017, most in the NFL...

That doesn't even include players like Wyatt Teller, Ray Ray McCloud and some other theat are on other teams now and have played regularly.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.