Reviewing Beane

Milanos Milano

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

We have gone from arguing that Beane is not a good GM

You may be talking about another poster, but to be clear, I never said that. 

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

and is just lucky he has Josh

And I definitely did not say that.

This whole forum would really benefit from one semester of reading comprehension.

• Dislike 3

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

I dont think youre following the conversation.

What are you talking about?  I just gave you examples of how those teams you listed weren't that good with their previous QBs.

And in this hypothetical, I assume you are replacing each team's QB with the same QB.  Who do you envision? 

Yes.

Yes.

Top 3. Very underrated by casual fans.

Yes it is.

Yes they are. 

Especially with White coming off his injury.

Agreed.

And O-Line, and D-Line, and CB’s and tied with safeties.

The point being that all we have to go on is previous seasons. Guessing on how new players will adapt and affect rosters is silly.

LOL 

Thanks for using PFF as your “evidence”

Well here’s another PFF ranking…Best NFL Rosters.

Bills #1

Titans #20

Well, which PFF rankings are true?

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-roster-rankings-all-32-teams-2022-strengths-weaknesses-x-factors-every-starting-lineup

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

Easy.

For one, the Titans. Even WITH Allen, they've beaten the Bills roster twice in a row.

Another is the Rams. Who practically have a Pro-Bowl team for a roster. 

The Buccaneers are another, and the Browns are close (their QB held them back more than helped them).

I'm surprised you spelled Einstein right when creating your account.

Yes.

Yes.

Top 3. Very underrated by casual fans.

Yes it is.

Yes they are. 

Especially with White coming off his injury.

Agreed.

And O-Line, and D-Line, and CB’s and tied with safeties.

The point being that all we have to go on is previous seasons. Guessing on how new players will adapt and affect rosters is silly.

QB - Bills. No debate.

RB - Titans. No debate.

WR - Bills. No debate.

TE - Bills. Unless Hooper starts playing like he did in Atlanta.

O Line - Bills. We finished higher in pass block win rate and identical in run block win rate. Our line was also night and day better the last 6 games with Bates and we stole their pro bowl LG AND their starting RT (Quessenberry).

D Line - Toss up. We finished with a better pass rush win rate, better pressure rate, and a nearly identical sack rate. Titans had a much better run stop win rate. I think the addition of Von will put us over the top but I'll wait until I see it.

LB - Bills. No debate. Zach Cunningham and David Long? Really?

CB - Bills. I'd take Tre White with 2 torn ACLs over Fulton. Molden is a pretty good slot but Taron Johnson is elite. Elam is completely unproven but so are Farley and McCreary.

S - Toss up. I'd give the Bills the slight edge based purely off the last few years, but Hyde and Poyer ain't getting any younger.

IMO Bills have the better roster and it's not even close.

Edited by gobills404

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

In the year 2022 you just called Allen Robinson a top 10 WR. Put down the hot take machine gun and take a breath.

Remind me in 6 months.

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Do you really think the Titans roster is better than ours?

Outside of QB, yes.

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL…Simmons is better than TJ Watt and Myles Garrett???  Simmons is probably not even in the top 20 in the league lol.

Their DL is not better.  Their defensive backs are not better.  Our WR and QB is better.

Great, they got us on RB and maybe LB.  

Allen, White, Von Miller, Diggs, Poyer, Dawkins and Hyde are also Pro Bowl level players.

Sounds like the Rams are going undefeated huh?

Jeffery Simmons is definitely a machine 

I think he is one of the best defensive lineman in the league… not best or top 3 … but top 10 interior lineman

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No he’s wrong.  Beane put his stamp all over that playoff team from the moment he got here after the draft.  Beane signed people, cut people, traded away people, and traded for people all before and during the season.  

So Beane has been a big part of all 4 playoff seasons the last 5 years.  He just refuses to look at facts.

Who did Beane sign that made an impact on 2017? He traded for Kelvin Benjamin who absent 1 play vs the Colts we all agree was a miss. 

He made key moves in 2017 that set up what was to come with his trades in the summer that is 100% true so he was already having an impact but the team that made the playoffs in 2017 was a combination of McDermott's guys and what they inherited. 

So I do tend towards the 2017 season not really being in Beane's column. And this isn't just a Beane position. I took the same view of 2013 when Whaley took over for Nix post draft. To me that season rightly should sit with Nix. I know that isn't the way the NFL looks at it officially but my take on GMs has always been their W-L should only include seasons where they ran FA and the draft the previous spring. 

10 hours ago, Einstein said:

Rams have better WR’s (Kupp is top 3 and Robinson is top 10). O-line (one of the best in the NFL though losing Whitworth stings), D-Line (Aaron Donald, do I have to say more?), CB’s (Ramsey and Hill) and LB’s (Leonard Floyd, Bobby Wagner).

They really do have a pro bowl roster.

You die on this hill Einstein.

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

You may be talking about another poster, but to be clear, I never said that. 

And I definitely did not say that.

This whole forum would really benefit from one semester of reading comprehension.

To your last sentence:

This whole forum?!?!? Really?!?! You're grouping everyone into this idea you have that we can't comprehend your words.

I take offense and say, go screw yourself!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/24/2022 at 3:34 AM, IronMaidenBills said:

We have not drafted enough high end talent. 

Edmunds rd 1

Basham rd 2

Epenesa rd 2

Ford rd 2

Moss rd 3 

Oliver rd 1 

Rousseau rd 1 

Have all underperformed their draft statuses thus far IMO. Especially Ford and Moss. 

I expect more from Edmunds, Oliver, and Rousseau given their rd 1 status. 

On the flip side, Allen, Taron Johnson, Davis, Milano, and Teller all outperformed their draft slots by a considerable margin.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Who did Beane sign that made an impact on 2017? He traded for Kelvin Benjamin who absent 1 play vs the Colts we all agree was a miss. 

He made key moves in 2017 that set up what was to come with his trades in the summer that is 100% true so he was already having an impact but the team that made the playoffs in 2017 was a combination of McDermott's guys and what they inherited. 

So I do tend towards the 2017 season not really being in Beane's column. And this isn't just a Beane position. I took the same view of 2013 when Whaley took over for Nix post draft. To me that season rightly should sit with Nix. I know that isn't the way the NFL looks at it officially but my take on GMs has always been their W-L should only include seasons where they ran FA and the draft the previous spring. 

Have to very respectfully disagree with you here Gunner.  Beane traded away Watkins, Darby, and Dareus.  Make no mistake about it, a big part of our playoff run in 2017 had to do with a shift in culture.  Coming off a 7 win season, changing the locker room, culture, and mindset can easily result in a few more wins.  It’s why teams fire coaches all the time and change front offices,  because they believe someone else can get more out of the roster and locker room.  

And both McD and obviously Beane contributed to that in different ways.  Beane jettisoning guys who were considered part of our core just a year prior that didn’t fit what we wanted to do as a team 100% impacted both the locker room and how the guys came together.  

Plus, he made the decisions on the final 53…and decisions like I said that saw us trade what was previously seen as our best offensive player and our young starting DB that was considered a promising player previously.  Then what was at one time considered our best defensive player in Dareus during the season.  

And no one disagrees KB overall was a miss, but…that trade did unquestionably help us make the playoffs which was the entire point of the trade when we found ourselves surprisingly in the running for a playoff spot to potentially break the streak.  And that also shows the guys on the field that Beane wasn’t just giving up and cleaning house, but showing he’s willing to put a wrinkle into his rebuild strategy to support and help those guys win now.  Which is something that also goes a long way into the rebuilding of a culture.  

So for me, I don’t care that Beane didn’t participate in the draft, he was in here right after the draft and he begun shaping the roster and culture in a lot of ways that surprised people and in ways Whaley would NOT have.  So for anyone to say Beane had no impact on that season is just not something I can agree with and completely over looks the entire role of a GM, which is a lot more than just the draft. 

Just the sheer fact he did things Whaley was not ever going to do like trade Watkins, Darby, and Dareus is enough of a reason to see that Beane had some fingerprints on that team.  I mean his moves that year set the entire foundation for our culture and our future.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, Einstein said:

Smart choice not answering that.

Here’s the deal: Your opinion of Beane is flawed by any measure. It’s a borderline trolling crusade. 

Fact is, Beane is the architect of a roster that is extremely successful. Period. Any dumbass “what if he didn’t draft Allen” scenario is stupid, because he did and has surrounded him with talent on both sides of the ball. 

Along with that, he has partnered with other parts of the organization to make sure players are developed and successful. This is just excellent leadership. It is irrefutable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.