Reviewing Beane

Milanos Milano

37 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

What was the gripe w Shanahan? Not telling Saleh he should maybe try covering Tyreek Hill 50 yards downfield?

TBH, I dont really remember.  But I do remember thinking he just blew another SB and my Fiance is a die hard Niners fan and she and her family still upset with Kyle over the game too, as all many niners fans I know.  

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

TBH, I dont really remember.  But I do remember thinking he just blew another SB and my Fiance is a die hard Niners fan and she and her family still upset with Kyle over the game too, as all many niners fans I know.  

I remember it pretty well tbh and by my recollection it came down to those two big plays, the blown coverage on Hill and the deep miss to Sanders. The rest of the game was a pretty good effort from the Niners defense and managing the game on offense when they had the ball…Garoppolo was throwing behind guys, having balls tipped, missing reads etc. I thought it was about as close a game as could reasonably be expected given the talent disparity at QB.

I guess if there was to be a complaint about Shanahan for me it would be that he didn’t go to Kittle enough.

It was that he stopped running the ball despite it still working. He suddenly went pass happy up 10. He did actually call a run (I think it was a Deebo play) that would have been at least close to a 1st but was called back. But it is the same fault as when he was play calling for the Falcons. Mysteriously got away from a run game that was gashing them looking for a kill shot in the pass game. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It was that he stopped running the ball despite it still working. He suddenly went pass happy up 10. He did actually call a run (I think it was a Deebo play) that would have been at least close to a 1st but was called back. But it is the same fault as when he was play calling for the Falcons. Mysteriously got away from a run game that was gashing them looking for a kill shot in the pass game. 

Yup, this rings a bell and what I remember thinking he did it again.  

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree that his playcalling cost the Falcons a Super Bowl but the other one was a different story imo. The Chiefs were COMING, it was clear the Niners defense had given everything they had and they (Sherman especially) was going to get beat at some point. 20 wasn’t going to be the winning number, they had to try to score again. No problem with how he called that game late for me.

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I agree that his playcalling cost the Falcons a Super Bowl but the other one was a different story imo. The Chiefs were COMING, it was clear the Niners defense had given everything they had and they (Sherman especially) was going to get beat at some point. 20 wasn’t going to be the winning number, they had to try to score again. No problem with how he called that game late for me.

But they could have scored running. That was the point. They were running at 6 per clip and even the 3 runs he did call in that late collapse were a first down for 6, a first down for 1, a first down for 5. It isn't like KC were stacking the box either. In the two critical drives they only had 6 man boxes on 2nd downs. The 9ers just got away from their strength. If the Chiefs had got hold of the run game and stuffed them multiple times it would have been a different story. It wasn't about just running clock. It was about running their offense, the offense that had got them there. 

Edit: don't get me wrong if they connect on the bomb to Sanders they just missed he gets lauded, no doubt. But it was such a low percentage way to play that situation when he didn't need to. 

Edited by GunnerBill

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But they could have scored running. That was the point. They were running at 6 per clip and even the 3 runs he did call in that late collapse were a first down for 6, a first down for 1, a first down for 5. It isn't like KC were stacking the box either. In the two critical drives they only had 6 man boxes on 2nd downs. The 9ers just got away from their strength. If the Chiefs had got hold of the run game and stuffed them multiple times it would have been a different story. It wasn't about just running clock. It was about running their offense, the offense that had got them there. 

Edit: don't get me wrong if they connect on the bomb to Sanders they just missed he gets lauded, no doubt. But it was such a low percentage way to play that situation when he didn't need to. 

In hindsight I think you might be correct, but in the moment I didn’t have an issue with throwing. They were getting yards there too, Garoppolo and penalties were just leaving points on the field.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

In hindsight I think you might be correct, but in the moment I didn’t have an issue with throwing. They were getting yards there too, Garoppolo and penalties were just leaving points on the field.

They were wrong in the "right way" in that they were trying to be aggressive but got away from what was working in doing so, is that a fair way of putting it? 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Guys you’re really missing the point here🤓

WAIT! Are you saying we are NOT all getting ponies? I was told…….:censored:

All this talk of how they should have kept running the ball reminds me of Super Bowl XXV. Hand the ball to Thurman, and collect your trophy. But NOOOOOO, we wanted to win “our way”. Hey!  I just wanted to win, and ego got in the way there. 

I’m doing much better now……

On 5/20/2022 at 12:25 PM, Rochesterfan said:

The proof is in the fact they took a Tyrod Taylor lead team to the playoffs - pre-Josh Allen.

Even a poor excuse for a Dolphins fan should know that.

🤷‍♂️

You can't really count 2017 as it was truly a fluke and pure luck on the arm of Andy Dalton's 4th and 15 pass.

Yes it was great to end the drought but again you have to look at what has driven the Bills most recently and that's Allen's development into a top NFL starter in spite of McDermott's questionable coaching. And even with a historic performance it wasn't enough in the playoffs last year to overcome said coaching problems.

• Disagree 3

47 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

You can't really count 2017 as it was truly a fluke and pure luck on the arm of Andy Dalton's 4th and 15 pass.

Yes it was great to end the drought but again you have to look at what has driven the Bills most recently and that's Allen's development into a top NFL starter in spite of McDermott's questionable coaching. And even with a historic performance it wasn't enough in the playoffs last year to overcome said coaching problems.

You can’t count 2017 as proof this coaching staff can win - WTF.

1st - Andy Dalton can’t happen if the Bills do not win enough games to be in position to beat Baltimore out.

2nd - The Bills don’t get to the playoffs with out winning 3 of the last 4 including sweeping Miami and beating Indy in a terrible snow storm - the Bills could of quit at any point and not made the playoffs - see Miami laying down against the Bills in 2020.

3rd - Most recently Josh Allen has driven the team, but the fact that this staff could break the drought with Tyrod Taylor and then adapt as Josh Allen grows to become the player he is - shows exactly how good this staff is.  

They could of stayed as a run first offense and build defense and let Josh become a game manager, but McD and Beane envisioned more and they have slowly built an offensive, pass first system.  They have allowed Josh to drive this team in a modern offense and have helped Josh develop into the player he is.

Compare that to Darnold and Mayfield from his class or how Miami has treated their QB in Tua.  It isn’t just Josh that has grown and adjusted - the entire coaching staff allowed Daboll to become a free wheeling OC to play to those strengths.

The facts are this staff came in and was able to get enough wins with Rex’s players and schemes to make a playoff appearance- something no other staff had done and they did it by winning games late in the season - even though it looked bleak.  Yes the Andy Dalton pass was the straw that got them in, but they had to do everything to make that possible.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

1st - Andy Dalton can’t happen if the Bills do not win enough games to be in position to beat Baltimore out.

2nd - The Bills don’t get to the playoffs with out winning 3 of the last 4 including sweeping Miami and beating Indy in a terrible snow storm - the Bills could of quit at any point and not made the playoffs - see Miami laying down against the Bills in 2020.

3rd - Most recently Josh Allen has driven the team, but the fact that this staff could break the drought with Tyrod Taylor and then adapt as Josh Allen grows to become the player he is - shows exactly how good this staff is.  

They could of stayed as a run first offense and build defense and let Josh become a game manager, but McD and Beane envisioned more and they have slowly built an offensive, pass first system.  They have allowed Josh to drive this team in a modern offense and have helped Josh develop into the player he is.

Compare that to Darnold and Mayfield from his class or how Miami has treated their QB in Tua.  It isn’t just Josh that has grown and adjusted - the entire coaching staff allowed Daboll to become a free wheeling OC to play to those strengths.

The facts are this staff came in and was able to get enough wins with Rex’s players and schemes to make a playoff appearance- something no other staff had done and they did it by winning games late in the season - even though it looked bleak.  Yes the Andy Dalton pass was the straw that got them in, but they had to do everything to make that possible.

To me, 2017 was really more about luck finally falling in favor of one of many mediocre Bills teams' of the drought era.

That team had the lowest point differential of any NFL team to make the playoffs since the 1980's............and was worse in that regard than any Bills team since the Chan Gailey days.    The offense, in particular, was unwatchable bad.........after having been one of the better offense's in the NFL the year prior (#7 in scoring and fewest turnovers thru 15 games of any team in the SB era).

It was a fluke that they got in.

They caught teams off-guard early in the season with a new defensive system and got off to a fast start winning some very close games..........then limped terribly thru the second half.     But fortunately had a pathetic schedule and scraped past some terrible teams at the end to get to 9-7.

Some years 9-7 doesn't get it done..........but this happened to be the year when the Jacksonville Jaguars made it to the AFC championship game.........the Jaguars being a team that has drafted in the top 10 in 14 of the last 15 seasons.

But as I've said before..........sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.     

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Utter drivel.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Some people just have a desperate need to throw stones. Beane and McD don’t get credit for the Bills being good because Josh gets all the credit. Really? Well, who drafted this raw talent then developed him? Football is more than ever about having a good QB, but it’s still a team game. Even the best QB can’t win without a solid roster around them and good schemes. Who went out and got him Diggs, Gabe Davis and Knox to work with? Does Josh get credit for that, too? 

Nothing is perfect, but people who complain about this FO are just looking to complain about something…….or trolls who need a home visit from the MIA @DC Tom

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.