Reviewing Beane

Milanos Milano

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Niners.

Yeah I don’t know Niners are stacked but it seems like every time they went up against a team with A real QB they’ve lost in the playoffs am I wrong

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

The proof is in the fact they took a Tyrod Taylor lead team to the playoffs - pre-Josh Allen.

Even a poor excuse for a Dolphins fan should know that.

🤷‍♂️

But were we real contenders though we got into the playoffs and we got decimated

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Yeah I don’t know Niners are stacked but it seems like every time they went up against a team with A real QB they’ve lost in the playoffs am I wrong

They beat the Packers and Cowboys last year and Packers again the year they went to Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2022 at 3:36 AM, Gene1973 said:

This is usually what happens when you draft character over talent.

That character was on full display the past week in Buffalo, wasn't it?

Last I checked this team is one of the favorites this year to win the SB too.... how did that happen?

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So you don't consider Aaron Rodgers a 'real QB?'

Edited by RocCityRoller

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They beat the Packers and Cowboys last year and Packers again the year they went to Super Bowl.

It is feast or famine is the point with the 49ers. A superbowl, a NFCCG and 3 seasons winning 6 or fewer. 

Not that I am totally crapping on that because without a top 10 QB that honestly isn't the worst return. Shanny Jnr is in the top 3 Xs and Os coaches in football. But he has questionable game management ability and isn't the best leader. I honestly think he is the best offensive playcaller in football, but as a Head Coach he has limitations. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is feast or famine is the point with the 49ers. A superbowl, a NFCCG and 3 seasons winning 6 or fewer. 

Not that I am totally crapping on that because without a top 10 QB that honestly isn't the worst return. Shanny Jnr is in the top 3 Xs and Os coaches in football. But he has questionable game management ability and isn't the best leader. I honestly think he is the best offensive playcaller in football, but as a Head Coach he has limitations. 

I think he’s a top HC. Unquestionably. I know this topic is about Beane but wrt the Niners- they’ve had arguably better results without a top QB. 

I know we like to ***** on Vrabel but until proven otherwise he’s McDermott’s comp, not McVay or Shanahan.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think he’s a top HC. Unquestionably. I know this topic is about Beane but wrt the Niners- they’ve had arguably better results without a top QB. 

I know we like to ***** on Vrabel but until proven otherwise he’s McDermott’s comp, not McVay or Shanahan.

I do question it. Not because of his Xs and Os. Nobody elevates QBs like Kyle on that I suspect we agree. But his game management is as questionable as Sean's and the story I have heard from multiple people who know that organisation well is Kyle quits on seasons when they go south. I think there is a genuine question mark against his leadership. 

That said, I have him in the McDermott and Vrabel (who I don't crap on btw) tier. McVay has elevated himself by winning a Championship. He is a tier above. 

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

But were we real contenders though we got into the playoffs and we got decimated

The fact that they could take that team and end a playoff drought- tells you yes - they can win.

The fact that they recognized what was good and what was bad and moved on from Taylor - shows they understood the NFL.

The fact that then then recognized what turned out to be the top QB and despite what fans here and elsewhere expected/wanted/screamed about - they made their pick tells you the most about them.

The Leadership could of taken Taylor - looked at the playoffs and said we can win with this guy not making mistakes, build a running game and defense and try to win.  It is actually what people expected with a defensive HC in McD, but he recognized that trying to win in that manner is a failure and set out to build an offense to dictate and a defense to slow teams down.

I think this group could of gone many ways and built a winner, but only 1 way was going to build a SB contender and they were not afraid to shoot for the moon.

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

That character was on full display the past week in Buffalo, wasn't it?

Last I checked this team is one of the favorites this year to win the SB too.... how did that happen?

So you don't consider Aaron Rodgers a 'real QB?'

of course I do

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The fact that they could take that team and end a playoff drought- tells you yes - they can win.

The fact that they recognized what was good and what was bad and moved on from Taylor - shows they understood the NFL.

The fact that then then recognized what turned out to be the top QB and despite what fans here and elsewhere expected/wanted/screamed about - they made their pick tells you the most about them.

The Leadership could of taken Taylor - looked at the playoffs and said we can win with this guy not making mistakes, build a running game and defense and try to win.  It is actually what people expected with a defensive HC in McD, but he recognized that trying to win in that manner is a failure and set out to build an offense to dictate and a defense to slow teams down.

I think this group could of gone many ways and built a winner, but only 1 way was going to build a SB contender and they were not afraid to shoot for the moon.

I dont disagree with any particular part of this.....only that Tyrod took them about as far as they could without a unicorn QB

2 hours ago, Tanoros said:

The OP and others like him need to read up on the Dunning-Kruger effect. Essentially, when someone doesn’t know a subject well, they think they know it all in regards to that subject. Then the more one learns, the less they believe they know about that subject, until they truly are experts in that subject and understand that they are. 

https://www.verywellmind.com/an-overview-of-the-dunning-kruger-effect-4160740

During my illustrious collegiate career many moons ago at the Upstairs Night College, I took a basic psychology course.  I didn't realize there was an actual term for this phenomenon, but basically our professor said basically: 'Those who speak the loudest, know the least.' 

From that day, I've tried to keep my mouth shut as much as possible.  Which is quite the challenge.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

of course I do

Then I guess I don't understand what you were saying about the 49ers 'always lose to teams 'with a real QB' in the playoffs'.

SF beat GB, who has Rodgers at QB, the last two times they played in the playoffs (2019 and 2021).

I get the general point, it helps to have a stud QB to go all the way.

Since Beane hit on the stud QB he gets a lot of lee-way and rose colored glasses

I also understand some of the less popular opinions that Beane's premium picks other than Allen and Diggs have not been that great.

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That’s not really an accurate way to phrase it though.  They aren’t “feast or famine”, your post makes it sound like that it has to do with the fact Jimmy isn’t top 10 when in reality it’s only about if Jimmy is hurt or not. 

5 seasons he’s been there, but he was only there part of that first season as he was acquired via trade.

2017: 6 Wins - Jimmy G didn’t arrive until the trade deadline.  He started a week later and the 49ers were undefeated 5-0 with Jimmy G.  So the fact they only won 6 games was only because they didn’t have Jimmy G the full season.  

2018:  6 Wins - Jimmy G got knocked out for the season in week 3.

2019:  Super Bowl birth - Jimmy G led them to the SB that they had the lead in heading into the 4th quarter.

2020:  6 wins - Jimmy G got knocked out for the season again in the 2nd game of the year.  They also had other key injuries too like Bosa.

2021:  NFCCG - Jimmy G led them back to NFCCG despite losing their starting RBs and also Kittle for a chunk of the season.  And may have been a Tarrt dropped gimme interception away from making it back to the SB.

As long as Jimmy G is on the field, the Niners win.  Which has been the case in 3 of his 5 seasons (he was undefeated that first partial season).  

So the yo yo is solely based on whether their starting QB was on the field.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That’s not really an accurate way to phrase it though.  They aren’t “feast or famine”, your post makes it sound like that it has to do with the fact Jimmy isn’t top 10 when in reality it’s only about if Jimmy is hurt or not. 

5 seasons he’s been there, but he was only there part of that first season as he was acquired via trade.

2017: 6 Wins - Jimmy G didn’t arrive until the trade deadline.  He started a week later and the 49ers were undefeated 5-0 with Jimmy G.  So the fact they only won 6 games was only because they didn’t have Jimmy G the full season.  

2018:  6 Wins - Jimmy G got knocked out for the season in week 3.

2019:  Super Bowl birth - Jimmy G led them to the SB that they had the lead in heading into the 4th quarter.

2020:  6 wins - Jimmy G got knocked out for the season again in the 2nd game of the year.  They also had other key injuries too like Bosa.

2021:  NFCCG - Jimmy G led them back to NFCCG despite losing their starting RBs and also Kittle for a chunk of the season.  And may have been a Tarrt dropped gimme interception away from making it back to the SB.

As long as Jimmy G is on the field, the Niners win.  Which has been the case in 3 of his 5 seasons (he was undefeated that first partial season).  

So the yo yo is solely based on whether their starting QB was on the field.  

Yea it is fair that Jimmy has been injury hit certainly. It is a particularly awful record without him though. 2017 it was a garbage roster so to be expected. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea it is fair that Jimmy has been injury hit certainly. It is a particularly awful record without him though. 2017 it was a garbage roster so to be expected. 

Yeah, since Jimmy G arrived, Niners have been a tough team.  That being said, I think it says more about Kyle than Jimmy G though.  Jimmy, like you said, isn’t a top 10 QB.  But he is a guy who can protect the ball, and make plays still to compliment a strong run game.

And Kyle has been able to win a lot with Jimmy G as a result.  If they had a top 10 QB, they would have probably won the SB in 2019 and possibly 2021.  

But it’s gonna be interesting to see what happens this year.  Jimmy still there and Trey is in the wings.  If they do officially transition to Trey and it doesn’t work out, it will be one of those situations where you don’t know what you got until it’s gone.  Or it could be like when KC traded Smith so Mahomes could take over and ends up being the right move.  All the Niners fans I know are nervous haha.  

22 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah it’s those spoiled little kids they can’t have the best pony whenever they go to the zoo they don’t remember whenever we weren’t even invited to the zoo

I'm trying to remember a pony ever being in a zoo. 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, since Jimmy G arrived, Niners have been a tough team.  That being said, I think it says more about Kyle than Jimmy G though.  Jimmy, like you said, isn’t a top 10 QB.  But he is a guy who can protect the ball, and make plays still to compliment a strong run game.

And Kyle has been able to win a lot with Jimmy G as a result.  If they had a top 10 QB, they would have probably won the SB in 2019 and possibly 2021.  

But it’s gonna be interesting to see what happens this year.  Jimmy still there and Trey is in the wings.  If they do officially transition to Trey and it doesn’t work out, it will be one of those situations where you don’t know what you got until it’s gone.  Or it could be like when KC traded Smith so Mahomes could take over and ends up being the right move.  All the Niners fans I know are nervous haha.  

Equally though even with Jimmy's limitations, Kyle's game management in that 4th Quarter was as much a reason for the Superbowl choke in 2019. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Equally though even with Jimmy's limitations, Kyle's game management in that 4th Quarter was as much a reason for the Superbowl choke in 2019. 

No. They were a missed throw to Sanders iirc within winning against the Chiefs. They lost that game because Garoppolo isn’t a good QB, it had nothing to do with Shanahan. He called a great game.

• Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Thats is true, and one could look at him too in the Atlanta collapse.  Good point for sure

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No. They were a missed throw to Sanders iirc within winning against the Chiefs. They lost that game because Garoppolo isn’t a good QB, it had nothing to do with Shanahan. He called a great game.

Nah, it was more than that.  Ask a Niner fan, they have gripes with both Jimmy G and Kyle after that 2019 game.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thats is true, and one could look at him too in the Atlanta collapse.  Good point for sure

Nah, it was more than that.  Ask a Niner fan, they have gripes with both Jimmy G and Kyle after that 2019 game.  

What was the gripe w Shanahan? Not telling Saleh he should maybe try covering Tyreek Hill 50 yards downfield?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.