Reviewing Beane

Milanos Milano

8 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

He hasn’t done enough. He hasn’t drafted enough elite talent. If he misses this draft we need to start debating whether he is good enough. 

I posted that I'm not happy with his scouting/medical departments. Ford instead of Deebo. Basham instead of Humphrey. Both were coming off of injuries going into the draft. Were they scared off?? 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I posted that I'm not happy with his scouting/medical departments. Ford instead of Deebo. Basham instead of Humphrey. Both were coming off of injuries going into the draft. Were they scared off?? 

If it wasn’t for drafting Allen, his behind would be squarely on the hot seat. I have this gross feeling we are going to continue to struggle and he will get a free pass because of drafting Allen. Sigh. 

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Given the cap space, who we lose, and how close this team is, this is probably his most important offseason to keep this team humming. We have space next year, which gives us more room to make some moves. 

I think we need to find a way to keep Philips and McKenzie. I would like to keep Wallace, but if that might be money we want to toss at upgrades to the OL or front 7 and address CB2 in the draft. 

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We have not drafted enough high end talent. 

Edmunds rd 1

Basham rd 2

Epenesa rd 2

Ford rd 2

Moss rd 3 

Oliver rd 1 

Rousseau rd 1 

Have all underperformed their draft statuses thus far IMO. Especially Ford and Moss. 

I expect more from Edmunds, Oliver, and Rousseau given their rd 1 status. 

Ed Oliver has been one of our best players this year and was our best defensive player by a mile last night. He had a disappointing 2nd season but he was good as a rookie and excellent this year. He won't get the credit he deserves because the sack number doesn't bowl people over but Ed was great in 2021. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Resign Philips, and McKenzie. Trade/sign an elite veteran pass rusher and solid interior lineman while investing heavily on offense in the draft…. Specifically YAC receivers. 

I get the cap is highly maneuverable. But we also only have $10M at the moment with a few new contracts we would like to keep around. I think the best we can do is nail the draft and keep around a few key contributors on day 1. With the amount of cap space next season, and major contracts that are up, we want to make sure we aren't taking any steps back. 

21 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Given were Oliver was drafted, I expect more. Only reason why I didn’t say great. 

It’s not good enough. While it’s true we had terrible GMs, we shouldn’t settle for slightly above average. We should be striving for elite. 

I really would have liked to have seen Doug Whaley with Josh Allen at QB and Jim Caldwell as HC. Say what you want about Whaley, but he knew talented players. I believe Whaley would've been better with a competent ownership group, QB and HC. IMO

24 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I thought Basham looked promising in the time he had. Sticking with the old guys on the right side probably wasnt the best move, but outside of a better CB2 at that point in the draft I think Basham is fine. 

Beane built a perennial SB contender from scratch in essentially 2 years.  Guess y’all missed that.  

He is one of the best GMs in football, it’s stunning how some people forget life before Beane and have such a lack of appreciation for what he’s built.  

PS:  All the same people criticizing Beane saying he hasn’t been good enough are the same people saying our coaches blew a SB this year at end of the game.  So Beane builds what you call an almost certain SB champion if not for 13 seconds, but then come in here and say Beane isn’t good enough now.  Only on TSW does that make sense. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane built a perennial SB contender from scratch in essentially 2 years.  Guess y’all missed that.  

He is one of the best GMs in football, it’s stunning how some people forget life before Beane and have such a lack of appreciation for what he’s built.  

PS:  All the same people criticizing Beane saying he hasn’t been good enough are the same people saying our coaches blew a SB this year at end of the game.  So Beane builds what you call an almost certain SB champion if not for 13 seconds, but then come in here and say Beane isn’t good enough now.  Only on TSW does that make sense. 

I might be wrong, but there doesn't appear to be a lot of critical thinking skills on display this forum at the moment....

• Agree 4

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wrong, he didn’t build a perennial SB contender. He build a Josh Allen show, to the point where we have to nearly 100% rely on Josh Allen to win games. The rest of the roster by itself isn’t good enough to win in spite of Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I might be wrong, but there doesn't appear to be a lot of critical thinking skills on display this forum at the moment....

I hope eventually cool heads prevail. It was a cruel and, admittedly, avoidable defeat. I still can't get my head around the fact that is it. No more Bills football for 7 months. It doesn't have that feeling of finality somehow. 

I am not a particularly emotional sort but I get that others are and need to vent. People need to take a step back. Look at the big picture. McDermott is imperfect. He made some bad choices last night. Beane is imperfect and he has missed with some premium assets to find enough of those big moment difference makers. But they still have a huge amount of credit in the bank for what they have done. The Bills will be back. We own the east. We are right there with Kansas City and for all the hand wringing about the Bengals and the Chargers they are not until they prove that they are. Cincy gets a shot this week. Let's see how they fare. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

FA acquisitions/trades. 

Sanders

Beasley

Cox Jr.

Diggs

Addison

Bates

Breida

Butler

Feliciano

Haack 

Hart 

Hughes

Hyde

Taiwan Jones

Klein 

Kumerow

Lotulelei 

Matakevich 

McKenzie 

Morse 

Obada 

Poyer

Smith 

Trubisky 

Williams 

Drafted/Undrafted 

Allen 2018 rd 1 #7    (Great Pick)

Basham 2021 rd 2 #61  (Meh, maybe good) 

Bass 2020 rd 6 #188  (Great Pick) 

Boettger 2018 UDFA (Good pickup, all things considering) 

Brown 2021 rd 3 #93 (Good Pick, maybe great)

Bryant 2017 UDFA (Meh) 

Davis 2020 rd 4 #128 (Good Pick, maybe great)

Dawkins 2017 rd 2 #63 (Good Pick, maybe great) 

Dodson 2019 UDFA (Meh pickup)

Doyle 2021 rd 5 #161 (Meh, maybe good) 

Edmunds 2018 rd 1 #16 (Meh) 

Epenesa 2020 rd 2 #54 (Meh, maybe good) 

Ferguson 2016 UDFA (Great Pickup)

Ford 2019 rd 2 #38 (Dumpster fire, maybe meh)

Gilliam 2020 UDFA (Good Pickup) 

Hamlin 2021 rd 6 #212 (Meh)

Jackson 2020 rd 7 #239 (Good Pick) 

Johnson 2019 rd 6 #181 (Meh, maybe good) 

Taron Johnson 2018 rd 4 #121 (Good pick) 

Knox 2019 rd 3 #96 (Good Pick) 

Lewis 2019 UDFA (Meh pickup) 

Milano 2017 rd 5 #163 (Good Pick, maybe great) 

Moss 2020 rd 3 #86 (Dumpster fire, maybe meh) 

Neal 2018 rd 5 #154 (Good Pick) 

Oliver 2019 rd 1 #9 (Maybe good)

Phillips 2018 rd 3 #96 ( Maybe good)

Rousseau 2021 rd 1 #30 (Maybe good) 

Singletary 2019 rd 3 #74 (Good Pick) 

Stevenson2021 rd 6 #203 (Meh) 

Sweeney 2019 rd 7 #228 (Dumpster fire, maybe meh)

Wallace 2018 UDFA (Great Pickup, all things considering)  

White 2017 rd 1 #27 (Great pick) 

Zimmer 2016 UDFA (Good pickup) 

I realize not all of these are Beane picks or signings, but what I do have listed is not really a good showing for Beane. 

I also haven’t mentioned these players. 

Jake Fromm

Isaiah Hodgins 

Vosean Joseph 

Ray Ray McCloud

Austin Proehl 

Rachad Wildgoose 

Jack Anderson 

So what is the comparable record, of, say, 2 or 3 other GMs whose teams have made playoffs the last 3 years and won playoff games the last 2?

Because it's really easy to say "not a good showing", but what would constitute a good showing?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Wrong, he didn’t build a perennial SB contender. He build a Josh Allen show, to the point where we have to nearly 100% rely on Josh Allen to win games. The rest of the roster by itself isn’t good enough to win in spite of Allen. 

So, the #1 rated defense, some amazing young stars at WR and an amazing threat at TE don’t count? How about a great young kicker and solid special teams. You’re just cranky. Maybe a Snickers bar would help?  🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what is the comparable record, of, say, 2 or 3 other GMs whose teams have made playoffs the last 3 years and won playoff games the last 2?

Because it's really easy to say "not a good showing", but what would constitute a good showing?

Maybe I will break down KCs roster drafts vs FA. 

• Dislike 1

It’s time for Beane to be aggressive this off-season and pull off a Diggs type move. They need an impact player on defense. Especially up front. 

We’ve been building through the draft which is good but now with the team on the brink of a Super Bowl, it’s time to make a move to bring a instant game changing type player to take us over the top. 

He’s done a good job, imo.  

He assembled a team that beat KC.  Maybe he needs to take a heavier stance on the coaches, because they are the ones who gave away the win.  

My biggest issue with him is that he needs to draft more “Year One Ready” guys.   He drafts potential, but then we have guys…. “Oliver & Knox” who blossom 3 years into their rookie contract… then we have to pay them. 

Edmunds, Ford and Moss are his big misses.   Ford and Moss can be absorbed but Edmunds is rough one.  Even worse if we double down a extend him.  

He’s true to his philosophy of building a continual contender.   Managing the cap/assets to always be in the mix. 

Hopefully he sees the trend and invests future money/assets in Offense, Pass Rushers and Corners. 

15 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Wanting Super Bowls is not a unrealistic ask as a fan. That’s why we hire these people. Otherwise start looking for someone who can. 

Wanting a Superbowl is different than expecting a Superbowl. It is incredibly difficult to get to the game and win it.

I think fans have unrealistic expectations. How many decades did it take for Andy Reid to win a Superbowl?

Sean Payton has only won one. He has had excellent teams over the years that fail to get there.

The Superbowl is the ultimate goal, and absolutely it is fine to be disappointed, but I think fans are going overboard in their anger and misery. Hopefully that cools off in a few days / weeks and fans can be thinking rationally again (outside of our handful of doom and gloom posters who will trash the team forever no matter what).

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I hope eventually cool heads prevail. It was a cruel and, admittedly, avoidable defeat. I still can't get my head around the fact that is it. No more Bills football for 7 months. It doesn't have that feeling of finality somehow. 

I am not a particularly emotional sort but I get that others are and need to vent. People need to take a step back. Look at the big picture. McDermott is imperfect. He made some bad choices last night. Beane is imperfect and he has missed with some premium assets to find enough of those big moment difference makers. But they still have a huge amount of credit in the bank for what they have done. The Bills will be back. We own the east. We are right there with Kansas City and for all the hand wringing about the Bengals and the Chargers they are not until they prove that they are. Cincy gets a shot this week. Let's see how they fare. 

Well said, my friend. I truly understand the emotional reactions, as I have been a die hard fan of this team for many, many years. I just don't like when emotion moves into the realm of the irrational or, even worse, the venomous.  I am also the type to set aside my emotions when evaluating information, something that has served me well in my life. Once people are able to set aside the emotions of that loss, I believe they will see that there is a lot to be optimistic about with this team, much of what you detailed above. I believe the future holds a lot of good things in store for this team.

7 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I almost laughed out loud when I read this it was such a bad take.  Like might honestly be the worst one I have seen yet and that is saying something around here.  Find me a roster that is good enough to win in the playoffs WITHOUT their top 3 QB...lmao.  

Yet without our #1 defense in the league carrying us in various games this season while our offense was out of sync, we not only would NOT have won the division, we may have not even made the playoffs. 

But hey, since all of our success and wins were ONLY Allen...why not cut or trade away all the guys Beanes signed and drafted to help Josh.  According to you, they add nothing and its all Josh anyway.  Get rid of Diggs, Cole, Davis, Knox, the OL etc...save that cap space and just get some JAGs off the street for vet min.  All of our success was ONLY Josh anyway, so we shouldn't miss a beat right?  

Geezus.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.