Did our defensive game plan scheme our two all pro safeties out of the game?

iccrewman112

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All those that argued that our #1 defense was overrated, were so right. I don't think I counted one pass break up tonight. 

I can remember one, on a short pass (I think it was to Kelce and Milano broke it up but I'm not sure).  But your point is certainly right.  Chiefs receivers were open over and over again.

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m ok with this. I’d go CB, OG, OC/OL in the draft with the first 3 picks. As long as I get Faalele I will be happy. 

Kyler Gordon out of Washington is who I want. He's a physical freak though and I feel like he might test to a point where he shoots up draft boards. 

We've heard for years that in a particular game, the winner was going to be the team that had the ball last.  Fellas, we just saw one.  It was really amazing.  We can criticize the Bills D and be right, but KC's defense fell apart worse.  At least none of the Bills defenders actually fell down because of a receiver's moves.  

3 minutes ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

Kyler Gordon out of Washington is who I want. He's a physical freak though and I feel like he might test to a point where he shoots up draft boards. 

The Bills act like they're not allowed to draft any offensive players in the first round.  Except for Allen, we ALWAYS take defensive players in the first round.  The last offensive player other than Allen taken in the first round was Sammy Watkins in 2014.  Since then the first round picks have been Shaq Lawson, Tre White, Tremaine Edmunds, Ed Oliver, and Gregory Rousseau.  

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Honorable mention. The decision by Sean McDermott not squib kicking the kickoff with 13 seconds left

McD reminds me of a 16 year old student driver that was handed the keys to a Ferrari.

Too scared to drive it the way it's meant to.

For those wondering,

Josh Allen= Ferrari

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

DL needed to get some pressure on Kermit ....was the problem all game in my opinion...

they managed to improve the OL and Running game during the season but the DL was a bridge too far seemingly 

DL had a few chances for a big play and were inches away. Prop to Mahomes there I know Ed had him dead to rights and he got away a couple times. 

Something was missing on defense though. They didn't have the same swagger in the 2nd half especially 

4 hours ago, Big C said:

I’m gonna wait and see what the all 22 film guys say about it because at this point I’m just stunned and confused. Week 5 we had AJ Klein and Siran Neal out there mugging Kelce at the line and this week we had Milano, who is supposed to be able to cover tight ends, just let Kelce take the game from us. 

Poyer and Hyde absolutely took the wrong angles on the Hill touchdown from what I could see. So even if we take away the deep ball, we let the intermediate routes turn into big plays… I don’t know there is just so much in my head right now. 

I thought the bills d was the one advantage we had in this game and it just wasn’t. 

The Hill touchdown was on Levi. He played his coverage wrong and as result it looked like everyone else was out of position, but they were in the position to defend a play that Levi directed to where he was supposed to. Can't be beaten across your face there and it gave Hill the natural angle on everyone else. 

41 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

DL had a few chances for a big play and were inches away. Prop to Mahomes there I know Ed had him dead to rights and he got away a couple times. 

Something was missing on defense though. They didn't have the same swagger in the 2nd half especially 

Ed was the only guy on defense who made plays last night. Is some of that on coaching? Yep. Sometimes though you need your guys to step up and make a play. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Hill touchdown was on Levi. He played his coverage wrong and as result it looked like everyone else was out of position, but they were in the position to defend a play that Levi directed to where he was supposed to. Can't be beaten across your face there and it gave Hill the natural angle on everyone else. 

Ed was the only guy on defense who made plays last night. Is some of that on coaching? Yep. Sometimes though you need your guys to step up and make a play. 

Exactly.  We need an edge guy that strikes fear into offenses. We tried with Murphy,Addison etc in FA .

Throw a few more bucks and get a great DE. Do what the Rams do in positions of need , the Championship window is wide open

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

I can remember one, on a short pass (I think it was to Kelce and Milano broke it up but I'm not sure).  But your point is certainly right.  Chiefs receivers were open over and over again.

I believe that is because we choose to play our safeties as deep tacklers rather than letting them help in coverage.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All those that argued that our #1 defense was overrated, were so right. I don't think I counted one pass break up tonight. 

There were no passes defensed on 44 throws. That is terrible.  Dane Jackson/Levi Wallace are a terrible matchup vs. the Chiefs’ receivers. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

Agreed. Johnson is a beast in the slot and Tre is Tre. I'd love to see them use their first rounder on someone with CB2 potential. 

Taron Johnson was one of the worst players out there last night. That truly was one of the more pathetic tackling displays I've ever seen in ANY nfl game. He missed tackle after tackle, and imo looked like he wasn't worth the extension he received. 

2 minutes ago, DocLawless said:

Taron Johnson was one of the worst players out there last night. That truly was one of the more pathetic tackling displays I've ever seen in ANY nfl game. He missed tackle after tackle, and imo looked like he wasn't worth the extension he received. 

He at least occasionally covered people. 

When the safeties are that deep you are essentially playing with only 5 initially coverage players (d-line doesn’t count). So take away their five O-line and it’s 5 defenders on 5 for receivers, then throw in maholmes scrambling ability. 

Not a formula to win in my opinion when it is the only defense you show for the entire night.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We were getting pressure, Addison on the first drive got pushed up the field beyond his drop and was circling back as Mahomes escaped on three runs.  He and Jerry like to speed rush and often lose contain. Its a problem you would see during the year and in a game like this contain should be on their minds.  Oliver would have gotten there if we containment was there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.