Did our defensive game plan scheme our two all pro safeties out of the game?

iccrewman112

By playing the don’t give up big scheme I believe the bills in effect took Poyer and Hyde almost out of the game. They were not involved in any plays in terms of pass breakups or getting over to assist on deep throws, etc. would have loved to see coverage mixed up from deep shell and press or even a few plays where they were within 10 yard of the line then retreated just before the snap. Way to vanilla in my opinion, all to not give up the big play.

The Bills allowed 10 plays of 20 or more yards.

Edited by iccrewman112
  • Like (+1) 1

• iccrewman112 changed the title to Did our defensive game plan scheme our two all pro safeties out of the game?
8 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

By playing the don’t give up big scheme I believe the bills in effect took Poyer and Hyde almost out of the game. They were not involved in any plays in terms of pass breakups or getting over to assist on deep throws, etc. would have loved to see coverage mixed up from deep shell and press or even a few plays where they were within 10 yard of the line then retreated just before the snap. Way to vanilla in my opinion, all to not give up the big play.

The Bills allowed 10 plays of 20 or more yards.

The coaches were scared and played soft d all night to be 'safe'. You don't win Championships playing it safe and being soft. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I’m gonna wait and see what the all 22 film guys say about it because at this point I’m just stunned and confused. Week 5 we had AJ Klein and Siran Neal out there mugging Kelce at the line and this week we had Milano, who is supposed to be able to cover tight ends, just let Kelce take the game from us. 

Poyer and Hyde absolutely took the wrong angles on the Hill touchdown from what I could see. So even if we take away the deep ball, we let the intermediate routes turn into big plays… I don’t know there is just so much in my head right now. 

I thought the bills d was the one advantage we had in this game and it just wasn’t. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

The Bills have a great regular season defense. Can’t play well in big moments when all the chips are on the table though. 

Buffalo Defense hadn’t faced a competent QB in command of his own Offense since Brady/Bucs on December 12, 2021.

It was probably too much time in between and not enough exposure to High Execution Offenses.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Big C said:

I’m gonna wait and see what the all 22 film guys say about it because at this point I’m just stunned and confused. Week 5 we had AJ Klein and Siran Neal out there mugging Kelce at the line and this week we had Milano, who is supposed to be able to cover tight ends, just let Kelce take the game from us. 

Poyer and Hyde absolutely took the wrong angles on the Hill touchdown from what I could see. So even if we take away the deep ball, we let the intermediate routes turn into big plays… I don’t know there is just so much in my head right now. 

I thought the bills d was the one advantage we had in this game and it just wasn’t. 

All those that argued that our #1 defense was overrated, were so right. I don't think I counted one pass break up tonight. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 1

The Bills defense imo played well from a scheme standpoint. Mahomes wasn't throwing on rhythm. He was making plays. Mahomes is unreal. There were a few plays obviously the defense would like back especially at the end of regulation, but Mahomes is just an unbelievable talent. They were making him move and dodge rushers all night.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

DL needed to get some pressure on Kermit ....was the problem all game in my opinion...

they managed to improve the OL and Running game during the season but the DL was a bridge too far seemingly 

Said all week if we don't pressure Birds nest head, we lose. And that's what happened. Back to the draft drawing board on pass rushers.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Said all week if we don't pressure Birds nest head, we lose. And that's what happened. Back to the draft drawing board on pass rushers.

Game 1 - Mahomes threw it side arm and Rousseau tipped it up and intercepted.

Game 2 - Mahomes threw it even more side arm and it looked like he threw around Rousseau and hit Hill.

It was probably that play that screamed, it’s going to be a special night for Mahomes.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Big C said:

Klein is better than Edmunds. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

DL needed to get some pressure on Kermit ....was the problem all game in my opinion...

they managed to improve the OL and Running game during the season but the DL was a bridge too far seemingly 

They were pressuring him all game, not sure what you were watching. Mahomes had some mind boggling escapes. Any other QB we have 6 or 7 sacks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Game 1 - Mahomes threw it side arm and Rousseau tipped it up and intercepted.

Game 2 - Mahomes threw it even more side arm and it looked like he threw around Rousseau and hit Hill.

It was probably that play that screamed, it’s going to be a special night for Mahomes.

11 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Buffalo Defense hadn’t faced a competent QB in command of his own Offense since Brady/Bucs on December 12, 2021.

It was probably too much time in between and not enough exposure to High Execution Offenses.

all the while the D players acting cocky.  I hate them.  Poyer and Hyde should be embarrassed.  Frazier also. 

Just now, Big Turk said:

They were pressuring him all game, not sure what you were watching. Mahomes had some mind boggling escapes. Any other QB we have 6 or 7 sacks.

good point re Mahomes, but it calls for a change in D plan.  we had no contain, you need that on a qb like Mahomes, or another guy coming in late (gen LBor Poyer).  But Frazier went with the same D expecting it to work against Mahomes.  sickening. 

• Like (+1) 1

To my uneducated eye they played a lot of man coverage underneath with two deep safeties over the top. Multiple times Edmunds would go to the flat with the RB opening up the middle of the field.  It took away the only thing Edmunds is good at.  I guess the thought is you are doubling everyone by playing man with a safety over the top. Seems unwise as that is not the strength of our corners

4 minutes ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

The only way to defend the Chiefs is with a 2 high shell. It's what gave them trouble when they stumbled early this year. For examples of what happens when you "don't play scared" and send pressure or play single high go look at what Mahomes did to the Raiders this year. 

Agreed, but the missing piece was White. He takes half the field away. It’s imperative that we draft another high end CB to pair with White. You beat Mahomes by having elite coverage abilities. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Agreed, but the missing piece was White. He takes half the field away. It’s imperative that we draft another high end CB to pair with White. You beat Mahomes by having elite coverage abilities. 

Agreed. Johnson is a beast in the slot and Tre is Tre. I'd love to see them use their first rounder on someone with CB2 potential. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.