Theory on what we're lacking on Dee

eSJayDee

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Honestly outside of White, Allen, Davis, Bass and Brown , we have SUCKED in the draft. 

Oliver,Phillips,singletary, special shout-out to  Dane Jackson holding down cb2 as a 7th round pick, Knox, Dawkins, Taron Johnson, Milano.  Idk how many impact players you’re expecting to get from each draft but that’s as many as any team in the league.  

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I'll answer this in 2 words.....Tre White.

That's what we were lacking yesterday. If he was healthy we would've won by double digits yesterday.

They lost a bunch of guys in that game too though so it’s hard to use that as an excuse…they had to replace tyrann mathieu with Sorensen 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Its not the players, the reason the Bills lost was the playcalling with 13 seconds left.  This game is squarely on whoever called that prevent defense or whatever you call it to literally GIVE them the FG attempt.  Just like Tennessee lost squarely because of their awful QB.  They did so much right, this was the game they needed to get by and in the end, it was a strategic blunder.   

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

everything.   but Tre White, we have no bona fide difference makers.  Poyer and Hyde are close, but where were they today?  

stop. Poyer and Hyde are all pro safties and maybe the best duo in the league.  They were put in tough spot today trying to stop Mahomes and Co because are pass rush could not get to Mahomes.

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

everything.   but Tre White, we have no bona fide difference makers.  Poyer and Hyde are close, but where were they today?  

Edited by bills6969

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Oliver,Phillips,singletary, special shout-out to  Dane Jackson holding down cb2 as a 7th round pick, Knox, Dawkins, Taron Johnson, Milano.  Idk how many impact players you’re expecting to get from each draft but that’s as many as any team in the league.  

They lost a bunch of guys in that game too though so it’s hard to use that as an excuse…they had to replace tyrann mathieu with Sorensen 

True, but Mathieu in 2022, is no where near the player or as important as Tre is. Tre's injury made all the CBs move up a spot. Forcing Levi to become CB #1, Dane CB #2 and so on. The injury put several players out of place.

I think it also limited what the coaches could do with Poyer and Hyde as far as moving them around trying to disguise coverages and such. Like when we played them in week 5. Instead they played more of a vanilla defense so they could provide more support to the DBs.

8 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

I tend to think that we have superior talent on defense & it's just that we have (very) poor strategy/playcalling.

I think this cuz it seems when we face an inferior team, be it poor line or QB, we abuse them, indicated by our sterling statistical rankings over the season.

However, when we face a good offense, whether they're good at throwing or run, it seems that we crap the bed.

Related to this, I'll say that I'm surprisingly okay w/ today's outcome - not depressed & just acknowledge that we were beaten by a superior team.  But what really galls me is that we let them drive the length of the field in 13 SECONDS for the tying FG!  How?  Why?

Anyway, ignore that 2nd thought, that's just me venting.  Whaddaya think of the 1st part?

Well if we’re ok vs crap and crap vs better we’re a mediocre defensive.

3 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

stop. Poyer and Hyde are all pro safties and maybe the best duo in the league.  They were put in tough spot today trying to stop Mahomes and Co because are pass rush could not get to Mahomes.

what I said is true.  They are both great, but didn't show in a big game.  Not elite.  

6 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Part of the problem is our young guys are just stuck in this rotation and not getting as many valuable developmental snaps.  Rousseau is probably going to continue to develop, from what you see of him so far it's a good sign.  Epenesa is a question mark still.

I'm so tired of seeing Addison just whiff on the field.  Maybe he had it a few seasons ago but the athleticism is waning and his mindset of how to play the position hasn't changed. 

Hughes is great at getting pressure, but pressure doesn't mean anything against a QB like Mahomes, who thrives out of structure.

After how this season is gone I'm not even sure Star really wants to still play football. Seems like he's going out of his way to not be on the field as much as possible. I understand it, god knows I've phoned it in at work just to collect the checks.  It's a disappointment though.

I hope Epenesa becomes the Knox of the defense. 2 years to get it dialed in then BAM!  Groot and Boogie need to continue to develop. Harry and Oliver need to keep getting better and stay healthy. Star, Butler, Addison and Hughes have reached the finish line here.  Go out and bring in a game changer at DE and a big bodied DT that can eat up the middle.   Then find a MLB that has instinct and let Edmonds walk if he thinks he's getting a payday.

• Thank you (+1) 1

We lost to an elite offense with a quarterback that is accurate and as elusive to tackle as Barry Sanders.  We still lack a pass rush to pressure him and a solid MLB who can read and cover.  Our secondary is above average, but was simply overwhelmed because KC has too many weapons and not enough productivity out of the front 7.  Until we can get more "elite" level talent in the front 7, we'll struggle against top tier offenses.

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

#1 is COACHING: you gotta mix it up.....seems like we were in same defense all game

we are lacking qb sacks and corners.

thought wallace and edmunds  played poorly

D-line is a combo of speed AND power to sack/distrupt the QB......the closest we've got is ed oliver who is mediocre to slightly above ave

We didn't blitz once that I could see, just once would have been nice to change things up.  But not understanding that all you needed to do was mug their wide receivers and tight end with 13 seconds left shows a lack of understanding the game. Lets face it, these guys aren't that smart. it was the easiest victory to seal and they blew it.

• 6 months later...
On 1/24/2022 at 1:38 AM, eSJayDee said:

I tend to think that we have superior talent on defense & it's just that we have (very) poor strategy/playcalling.

I think this cuz it seems when we face an inferior team, be it poor line or QB, we abuse them, indicated by our sterling statistical rankings over the season.

However, when we face a good offense, whether they're good at throwing or run, it seems that we crap the bed.

Related to this, I'll say that I'm surprisingly okay w/ today's outcome - not depressed & just acknowledge that we were beaten by a superior team.  But what really galls me is that we let them drive the length of the field in 13 SECONDS for the tying FG!  How?  Why?

Anyway, ignore that 2nd thought, that's just me venting.  Whaddaya think of the 1st part?

Dee is now available.  https://sports.yahoo.com/49-ers-cut-dee-ford-18-games-into-85-m-contract-222735707.html

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Who’s Dee?

Deez Nutz

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m excited for how with the addition of Elam as a #2 (or Dane) and a completely revamped defensive line that should penetrate will do nothing more than make our secondary look even better.  Sal was talking yesterday we

may employ some man coverage a little more than in the past as we have the horses up front to do it.  

Should be exciting and as Kramer says..

Sorry, I’ve been on a Seinfeld

ended at the gym as I never watched the reruns, so haven’t seen the shows since they first aired.  I forgot how darn funny they were, so I look like an idiot each morning on the stairclimber (laughing out loud).

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.