Theory on what we're lacking on Dee

eSJayDee

1 hour ago, billsfan714 said:

I see no superior talent on the D line.   Oliver is good, not superior, Addison has his moments.   Rousseau I dont remember much after the Chiefs regular season game.   Hughes is done.   Star is absolutely nothing.   Epenesa is the Zach Moss of DEs.   He's slow and not overly strong.   Boogie who knows.   Its a team game, Josh cant do it all by himself.

Part of the problem is our young guys are just stuck in this rotation and not getting as many valuable developmental snaps.  Rousseau is probably going to continue to develop, from what you see of him so far it's a good sign.  Epenesa is a question mark still.

I'm so tired of seeing Addison just whiff on the field.  Maybe he had it a few seasons ago but the athleticism is waning and his mindset of how to play the position hasn't changed. 

Hughes is great at getting pressure, but pressure doesn't mean anything against a QB like Mahomes, who thrives out of structure.

After how this season is gone I'm not even sure Star really wants to still play football. Seems like he's going out of his way to not be on the field as much as possible. I understand it, god knows I've phoned it in at work just to collect the checks.  It's a disappointment though.

• Like (+1) 1

Remember when the D gave up 3rd and 16 in the playoffs against Houston because Frazier called a soft defense? Maybe the coaches don’t learn, he seems content to play back and give up yardage in these crucial situations rather than attack. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Remember when the D gave up 3rd and 16 in the playoffs against Houston because Frazier called a soft defense? Maybe the coaches don’t learn, he seems content to play back and give up yardage in these crucial situations rather than attack. 

I honestly hope Frazier and Daboll both go. 

Imagine McVay with Allen. Holy smokes. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I honestly hope Frazier and Daboll both go. 

Imagine McVay with Allen. Holy smokes. 

The general consensus here is nobody would be sad to see Frazier go and he gets the majority of the blame for last nights 13 second brain freeze but I also believe this defense is still McDermott's basic philosophy and Leslie is just calling the game within the parameters of that system and not running "his" system.  I'd welcome an outside view coming in with a different and more aggressive approach, when the situation calls for it, but unless the head coach is willing to entertain the idea that his defense isn't going to get the team over the hump against teams like the Chiefs that execute extremely well and can't be depended on to make the big mistake at some critical point in the game, and the HC is on boards with some fresh thinking we're dead in the water right out of the gate with a new DC.  

Otherwise this defense is just lacking star power.  Look at their number one rating but a snub when it comes to pro bowl selections.  Maybe the voters are right about that assessment?  If you're putting together a defense outside of Tre White and Matt Milano who are you going to want?  All that cap space committed to the defensive line rotation to keep players fresh through the game.  How'd that work out for us last night?  What they need is a couple impact players that eat up some cap space and not 8 or 9 guys that are about average NFL defensive lineman.  The older veterans here need to go and somebody the offense has to worry about needs to be signed.  The younger guys I'd give some time.  Also some bulk against the run in the middle has got to be a priority. 

I've got mixed feelings about Edmunds.  He just doesn't have the instincts and hasn't developed the ability to read and anticipate the play but I also fear he'd go elsewhere and the light would come on under different scheme and coaching.  In the 13 second disaster I would think they'd line him up at the LOS against Kelce with explicit instructions to not allow him a free release and put Mahomes in a position to not even consider throwing him the ball.  Either the coaches don't trust him or he's just not up to it but that's got to be why he's here.  To make a play in just this kind of situation.  I'm not seeing how they can commit big money to him at this point.

The secondary just needs another good corner opposite Tre but the safeties are getting older and some draft capital needs to be spent there to plan for the future.  

So for me its a re-load with some fresh thinking. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

everything.   but Tre White, we have no bona fide difference makers.  Poyer and Hyde are close, but where were they today?  

Why do I keep seeing posts calling out Hyde and Poyer? Their job is not to get beat over the top and support underneath. They've done that for the most part and quite well. Mahomes didn't throw deep the entire game. Everything was YAC. Hard to intercept a ball thrown 10 yards in front of you.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree we need a difference maker on the line but they don’t drop into the late 20’s.  With an off season of training our young guys will get better.   I think they will look for that “Big Nickel” guy.  Somewhere between a safety and a linebacker with speed.  Right now I don’t see anyone that can kind of neutralize a good TE.

5 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

I tend to think that we have superior talent on defense & it's just that we have (very) poor strategy/playcalling.

I think this cuz it seems when we face an inferior team, be it poor line or QB, we abuse them, indicated by our sterling statistical rankings over the season.

However, when we face a good offense, whether they're good at throwing or run, it seems that we crap the bed.

Related to this, I'll say that I'm surprisingly okay w/ today's outcome - not depressed & just acknowledge that we were beaten by a superior team.  But what really galls me is that we let them drive the length of the field in 13 SECONDS for the tying FG!  How?  Why?

Anyway, ignore that 2nd thought, that's just me venting.  Whaddaya think of the 1st part?

The hopelessness of the situation is that we can go get the best defensive

coordinator, and add 5 pro bowlers to that defense, and Mahomes is still going to beat us. 

every game we play with them is going to come down to a play or two. Total crapshoot. 

• Disagree 1

#1 is COACHING: you gotta mix it up.....seems like we were in same defense all game

we are lacking qb sacks and corners.

thought wallace and edmunds  played poorly

D-line is a combo of speed AND power to sack/distrupt the QB......the closest we've got is ed oliver who is mediocre to slightly above ave

• Like (+1) 1

our D is a percentage game, stop long plays, rush the passer w fresh legs, expect your safeties and LBs to run up and make plays.  it works well over a long number of plays (like the season), but is reliant on the DL to get some kind of rush with vanilla concepts and needs the LBs to make tackles and not mistakes.  the problem is, and i dunno if it is mccorch or frazier, but there is simply no creativity, and almost no surprise.

the secondary does a good job most of the time taking stuff away, and disguising, but the front 7 really looks like letting the computer play for you on a video game.  no surprises ever.

whichever coach is responsible for the deep kick off and sidelines alignment w 13 seconds left needs to be fired or (if its mcd and we wanna keep him) kept well away from that aspect of the game.  

we need an upgrade on edmunds (i know we are gonna pay him large for next season, maybe change his role or something), could use one more corner (tre white back sort of solves all of that) and most of all we need one single guy who can wreak havoc on the edge.  give this team a real pass rusher, and we winning it all.

6 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Honestly F our defense. I feel so bad for Allen and our offense. Just absolutely gut punched. I hope we make some big surprise cuts and let Addison, Butler, and Jerry go. 

These wont even be surprises. If all 3 arent gone our FO has lost it.

6 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

I see no superior talent on the D line.   Oliver is good, not superior, Addison has his moments.   Rousseau I dont remember much after the Chiefs regular season game.   Hughes is done.   Star is absolutely nothing.   Epenesa is the Zach Moss of DEs.   He's slow and not overly strong.   Boogie who knows.   Its a team game, Josh cant do it all by himself.

Boogie is slow. He’s like a poor mans Shaq Lawson IMO. Good against the run. Will get the rare sack when coverage is good. That dude needs to lose some weight

Either replace Edmunds with a legit middle linebacker or switch to a 3-4 so there's somebody there to cover for him. It has to be one or the other you can't just keep putting a guy out there that's so inept at every facet of the game and expect different results

4 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

They've done that a handful of times this year at the end of the first half.  I don't think they've ever had a positive result from it. 

I'm not normally one to call for a firing,  but this idiocy has now cost the Bills one of the best chances at the Super Bowl that they've ever had.  I realize that it's not going to happen,  but I think maybe Frazier should lose his job for this one. There's no excuse for losing a game where you score two come-from-behind TDs in the final two minutes. 

6 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Honestly F our defense. I feel so bad for Allen and our offense. Just absolutely gut punched. I hope we make some big surprise cuts and let Addison, Butler, and Jerry go. 

Butler was an inactive last night. To make his kind of money and not be considered an asset for the seasons biggest game, yeah he’s done here.

6 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

It seems that they have a pass rush but never grab the QB at times. Mahomes is slippery

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.