Theory on what we're lacking on Dee

eSJayDee

I tend to think that we have superior talent on defense & it's just that we have (very) poor strategy/playcalling.

I think this cuz it seems when we face an inferior team, be it poor line or QB, we abuse them, indicated by our sterling statistical rankings over the season.

However, when we face a good offense, whether they're good at throwing or run, it seems that we crap the bed.

Related to this, I'll say that I'm surprisingly okay w/ today's outcome - not depressed & just acknowledge that we were beaten by a superior team.  But what really galls me is that we let them drive the length of the field in 13 SECONDS for the tying FG!  How?  Why?

Anyway, ignore that 2nd thought, that's just me venting.  Whaddaya think of the 1st part?

• Disagree 1

I see no superior talent on the D line.   Oliver is good, not superior, Addison has his moments.   Rousseau I dont remember much after the Chiefs regular season game.   Hughes is done.   Star is absolutely nothing.   Epenesa is the Zach Moss of DEs.   He's slow and not overly strong.   Boogie who knows.   Its a team game, Josh cant do it all by himself.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, QCity said:

We don't have a pass rush, but I agree with the 1st part.

We need a real pass rush and smarter coaches. And next year never lose a game like they did against Jacksonville or Pittsburgh.  2 teams they should have dominated. Build around Oliver and figure out if any of these 3 young guys pan out. Addison, Butler and Jerry will not be retained. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We need a real pass rush and smarter coaches. And next year never lose a game like they did against Jacksonville or Pittsburgh.  2 teams they should have dominated. Build around Oliver and figure out if any of these 3 young guys pan out. Addison, Butler and Jerry will not be retained. 

Honestly F our defense. I feel so bad for Allen and our offense. Just absolutely gut punched. I hope we make some big surprise cuts and let Addison, Butler, and Jerry go. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Honestly F our defense. I feel so bad for Allen and our offense. Just absolutely gut punched. I hope we make some big surprise cuts and let Addison, Butler, and Jerry go. 

We need game wreckers on the line. We have solid guys there, but outside Oliver who has shown flashes, we don’t have anyone who can just go ***** up anything at any time. We don’t have a Donald, Bosa, Watt, etc. We don’t even have a Clark, Jones or Ingram. It doesn’t necessarily matter when your QB is playing on an Allen/Mahomes level. But it’s pretty clear the remaining playoff teams got there thanks to winning in the trenches. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big C said:

We need game wreckers on the line. We have solid guys there, but outside Oliver who has shown flashes, we don’t have anyone who can just go ***** up anything at any time. We don’t have a Donald, Bosa, Watt, etc. We don’t even have a Clark, Jones or Ingram. It doesn’t necessarily matter when your QB is playing on an Allen/Mahomes level. But it’s pretty clear the remaining playoff teams got there thanks to winning in the trenches. 

The problem is, Beane and crew hasn’t shown me enough to the point where I trust them drafting trench players, with the exception of maybe o-line. 2 years on drafts and FAs and we still can’t win battles on the line. That’s a huge red flag. If it wasn’t for drafting Allen, Beane would be looking for a new job right now IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

The secondary is well coached we can acknowledge that and we have an elite safety tandem - but it's being wasted with one of the worst front 4s in the league - against good lines. 

Which sucks because the Rams and Bengals olines are trash.  Would have been advantage us.  

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

The problem is, Beane and crew hasn’t shown me enough to the point where I trust them drafting trench players, with the exception of maybe o-line. 2 years on drafts and FAs and we still can’t win battles on the line. That’s a huge red flag. If it wasn’t for drafting Allen, Beane would be looking for a new job right now IMO. 

Beane has done a good job. Every GM has his misses. We have a top tier roster. McD gets a lot of credit for shaping the talent and creating a culture but Beane gets credit for a lot of these guys too. Though I do agree if we didn’t get Allen this all looks very different. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Big C said:

Beane has done a good job. Every GM has his misses. We have a top tier roster. McD gets a lot of credit for shaping the talent and creating a culture but Beane gets credit for a lot of these guys too. Though I do agree if we didn’t get Allen this all looks very different. 

It’s true every GM has misses, but Beane has missed a lot, especially on round 1, 2, and 3 picks. Our team is mostly filled with FA acquisitions. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s true every GM has misses, but Beane has missed a lot, especially on round 1, 2, and 3 picks. Our team is mostly filled with FA acquisitions. 

Which is navigated by the director of player personnel 

And........he gone.   I do think that was Schoen's best skill set and contribution to the build here.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Honestly outside of White, Allen, Davis, and Brown , we have SUCKED in the draft. 

Sucked? Look at every teams draft history and tell me we are a bad drafting team. Since 2017 we also drafted (or signed UDFA) Dawkins, Milano, Taron, Singletary, Knox, Neal, Wallace, Edmunds, Oliver and Phillips. And these guys are all NFL starters or in Neal’s case Elite ST players who have shown they can fill in. Edmunds is a polarizing guy but if he doesn’t stay I am

certain another team will sign him and plug him in. He may never be elite but we could have also stayed put and selected Rashaan Evans instead. Would that have been better?

8 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Building a roster can be done both ways. Look at the Rams. They constantly trade their draft picks for players and sign FAs and it’s working. Beane hasn’t been perfect but he did acquire a lot of good players and we have a good roster. 

Beane isn’t a Schneider type that seemingly only finds late round gems. Beane likes the athletic freaks and is betting the coaching staff can work with them. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.