Thoughts on draft

John from Riverside

So as this has kind of become a place to post your mocks here is one I did on pro football network last night:

Round 1 - Pick #30 - Treylon Burks, Wide Receiver, Arkansas

I traded back from #25 to #30 with the Chiefs. I swapped #129 for #62 in the process giving me an extra 2nd round pick. Not sure how realistic the Bills trading with the Chiefs in the 1st round is but if the trade makes sense (and this one did because there were still 5 guys I liked on the board) they shouldn't be scared to do so. Keep stacking weapons for Josh Allen. I think Burks is going to have a good Combine and secure himself as a round 1 pick. he is a YAC monster and that has been missing from our offense. 

Round 2 - Pick #57 - Kyler Gordon, Cornerback, Washington

I'd consider Gordon at #25 and I really expect him to go early, but he was still there on this mock. He would be a steal at this point of the draft. Immediate upgrade at corner #2 and his ceiling is as a #1 corner. 

Round 2 - Pick #62 - Boye Mafe, Edge, Minnesota

I used the extra 2nd rounder to snag Boye Mafe who is an raw, physical and explosive pass rusher. Had a great Senior Bowl and improved his stock. I still think a day 2 pick though and if he makes it to this spot he is great value. Adds an explosive quality that the Bills Edge group lacks. 

Round 3 - Pick #92 - Daniel Faalele, Offensive Tackle, Minnesota

I traded back again with Green Bay from #89 to #92. Swapping #168 for #131 while doing so. The Bills need to add to the offensive tackle group. I'm not against taking a guy early but I think the round 1 level guys will fly off the board. Faalele is a developmental guy who I am not sure would be ready to start year 1. He is physical but he has some technical deficiencies that need refining and at times looks a bit mechanical in his movement. 

Round 4 - Pick #131 - Cade Mays, Guard, Tennessee

Physical mauler of a guard who actually fits the Bills if they are moving to more of a gap and man blocking scheme. He isn't a fit for all the Shanahan style outside zone teams but he would likely be a starter by the end of his rookie year on the Bills. 

That left with picks #184, #202, #229 and #244 (so two 6ths and two 7ths). With these picks I tried to prioritise guys who I thought had a shot at making the roster. 

Round 6 - Pick #184 - Jerrion Early, Running Back, Mississippi

The only running back on the Bills roster who I would say is an absolute lock for the 53 at this point is Devin Singletary. Zack Moss is probably back but there is a spot for a speed back alongside them. Early is explosive. He might be a little undersized but I like the fact that he isn't afraid to get north and south. He would compete for a roster spot. 

Round 6 - Pick #202 - Bo Melton, Wide Receiver, Rutgers

Melton is a developmental slot guy who could even do some of the gadget play type stuff that Isaiah McKenzie has done for this team in recent years. If McKenzie is not back (which looks likely to be the case) then Melton can add competition for that spot and he has experience as a returner which is still an open job. 

Round 7 - Pick #229 - Jelani Woods, Tight End, Virginia

Wood projects as a #2 tight end and this is the weakest area on the Bills roster with zero real depth behind Dawson Knox. He was mainly used to block at Oklahoma State but he had 598 yards and 8 touchdowns after transferring to Virginia as a senior. Was a stand out in the Shrine Game. 

Round 7 - Pick #244 - Clarence Hicks, Linebacker, UTSA

The linebacker room is another where there are potential backup spots to be won. Hicks is a bit of a tweener, hybrid type who started his college career on the edge but has increasingly played more in space as an off the ball 'backer. Can imagine Beane and McDermott liking him as a chess piece type player and I can imagine him flying around on special teams. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

So as this has kind of become a place to post your mocks here is one I did on pro football network last night:

I traded back from #25 to #30 with the Chiefs. I swapped #129 for #62 in the process giving me an extra 2nd round pick. Not sure how realistic the Bills trading with the Chiefs in the 1st round is but if the trade makes sense (and this one did because there were still 5 guys I liked on the board) they shouldn't be scared to do so. Keep stacking weapons for Josh Allen. I think Burks is going to have a good Combine and secure himself as a round 1 pick. he is a YAC monster and that has been missing from our offense. 

I'd consider Gordon at #25 and I really expect him to go early, but he was still there on this mock. He would be a steal at this point of the draft. Immediate upgrade at corner #2 and his ceiling is as a #1 corner. 

I used the extra 2nd rounder to snag Boye Mafe who is an raw, physical and explosive pass rusher. Had a great Senior Bowl and improved his stock. I still think a day 2 pick though and if he makes it to this spot he is great value. Adds an explosive quality that the Bills Edge group lacks. 

I traded back again with Green Bay from #89 to #92. Swapping #168 for #131 while doing so. The Bills need to add to the offensive tackle group. I'm not against taking a guy early but I think the round 1 level guys will fly off the board. Faalele is a developmental guy who I am not sure would be ready to start year 1. He is physical but he has some technical deficiencies that need refining and at times looks a bit mechanical in his movement. 

Physical mauler of a guard who actually fits the Bills if they are moving to more of a gap and man blocking scheme. He isn't a fit for all the Shanahan style outside zone teams but he would likely be a starter by the end of his rookie year on the Bills. 

That left with picks #184, #202, #229 and #244 (so two 6ths and two 7ths). With these picks I tried to prioritise guys who I thought had a shot at making the roster. 

The only running back on the Bills roster who I would say is an absolute lock for the 53 at this point is Devin Singletary. Zack Moss is probably back but there is a spot for a speed back alongside them. Early is explosive. He might be a little undersized but I like the fact that he isn't afraid to get north and south. He would compete for a roster spot. 

Melton is a developmental slot guy who could even do some of the gadget play type stuff that Isaiah McKenzie has done for this team in recent years. If McKenzie is not back (which looks likely to be the case) then Melton can add competition for that spot and he has experience as a returner which is still an open job. 

Wood projects as a #2 tight end and this is the weakest area on the Bills roster with zero real depth behind Dawson Knox. He was mainly used to block at Oklahoma State but he had 598 yards and 8 touchdowns after transferring to Virginia as a senior. Was a stand out in the Shrine Game. 

The linebacker room is another where there are potential backup spots to be won. Hicks is a bit of a tweener, hybrid type who started his college career on the edge but has increasingly played more in space as an off the ball 'backer. Can imagine Beane and McDermott liking him as a chess piece type player and I can imagine him flying around on special teams. 

I like it!

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Imagine this actually happening?  We would never be so lucky.  Close to a perfect draft imo

I’m starting to think Gordon will be gone before our pick. He’s gonna light up the combine The fact that it’s a stacked cB draft might allow him to slip to 40 or so, but I can’t see him falling further than that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Should be an interesting draft.

Beane mentioned it is not stocked with a lot of high-end talent, but a lot of depth, which is why your trade back in R1 is certainly possible this year.  However, he also said lack of elite talents in R1 mean rankings for teams can be all over the place, so it's also quite likely someone slides to them that other teams don't rank as high. 

We're about to hit the dog days of the offseason, after the combine.  Almost time for @Virgil's TSW mock... :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Imagine this actually happening?  We would never be so lucky.  Close to a perfect draft imo

I’m starting to think Gordon will be gone before our pick. He’s gonna light up the combine The fact that it’s a stacked cB draft might allow him to slip to 40 or so, but I can’t see him falling further than that.

Sadly I agree.

1 hour ago, TPS said:

Almost time for @Virgil's TSW mock... :beer:

Always one of the highlights of the year on this forum. If you need any help in organising @Virgil do shout.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Love the Jelani Woods pick. Out of curiosity, who did KC pick at 25?

On 1/23/2022 at 10:36 PM, John from Riverside said:

Ethan we need immediate starters and game changers I don’t think we get that by trading down

The talent difference between the late 1st round and the early 2nd round isn’t that different according to many scouts. If the Bills can trade back between picks 30-40 they should still be able to get a good talent. Hopefully a rush on QB’s happens around their pick and they can get a nice return on a move back.

This is from PFN, took what the board gave me, mixed with talent and need

Perrion Winfrey

DT Oklahoma

Kyler Gordon

CB Washington

Wan'Dale Robinson

WR Kentucky

Marquis Hayes

OG Oklahoma

Hassan Haskins

RB Michigan

Bubba Bolden

S Miami-Fl

Chris Paul

OG Tulsa

Josh Thompson

CB Texas

Matt Araiza

P San Diego State

Edited by ScorpionZero
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/1/2022 at 6:28 AM, SoCal Deek said:

I don’t think most GMs hold to your ‘never draft’ rules but I will say with the Bills now considered an established playoff team it’d seem like you take the BPA regardless of his position at this point. Do the Bills have a few specific needs? Sure. But they’re probably better off in the long run now just building an incredibly strong and deep roster. 

Beane says he drafts BPA but he drafts for need almost exclusively. 

Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, trade for Diggs, Knox, Bass, Rousseau, and Ford were all need picks. You can argue Singletary and Moss were as well though Shady was still on the roster when they drafted Singletary. Add White being drafted by McDermott after letting Gilmore walk and all their top picks have been clear cut needs.

Gabe Davis is probably the best value pick Beane has made at a position that was already stocked. 

They will draft CB, DT, C/OG in the first three rounds.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I could live with the early rounds.  I would trade away all the 6th and 7th round picks to move up and get best punter in the draft in the fifth round and an earlier pick in 2023.

On 2/10/2022 at 3:22 AM, ScorpionZero said:

I'm thinking this might be the time to trade up, for an impact player they really like. 9 draft picks is to many for the way this team is built. You've got 3 teams with multiple 1st round picks, all of whom are rebuilding, that's were you strike. If that means one of next year's picks, so be it.

We hear this every single year. Without exception.

And each year Beane is willing to trade up but only does so if he's giving away only a late-round pick, the only exception being the year they'd put together a ton of extra draft capital to go up and get the QB they wanted in the first and then weren't able to go up as far as they thought they could so they ended up having duplicate picks in early rounds.

Expect the same deal this year, being willing to go up a few spots with late-round picks. There's always a small chance they'll use more, but Beane has shown us what he likes to do.

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The talent difference between the late 1st round and the early 2nd round isn’t that different according to many scouts. If the Bills can trade back between picks 30-40 they should still be able to get a good talent. Hopefully a rush on QB’s happens around their pick and they can get a nice return on a move back.

The talent difference isn't very different between about the 7th or 8th guy on the board and the 50th guy on the board IMO. There are a lot of 2nd round guys in this draft. Inevitably a lot of them will go in round 1 cos there are almost no top 10 type guys. 

Edited by GunnerBill

25: R1 P25 G Kenyon Green - Texas A&M

57: R2 P25 DL Perrion Winfrey - Oklahoma

89: R3 P25 RB Breece Hall - Iowa State

129: R4 P25 CB Jalyn Armour-Davis - Alabama

168: R5 P25 WR Charleston Rambo - Miami

184: R6 P6 S Bubba Bolden - Miami

202: R6 P24 G Cade Mays - Tennessee

229: R7 P10 CB Josh Thompson - Texas

244: R7 P25 P Matt Araiza - San Diego State

Round 1 Pick 26: Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati (A+)
Round 2 Pick 26: John Metchie, WR, Alabama (A+)
Round 3 Pick 26: Travis Jones, DT, Connecticut (A+)
Round 4 Pick 26: Lecitus Smith, OG, Virginia Tech (A+)
Round 5 Pick 26: Hassan Haskins, RB, Michigan (A+)
Round 6 Pick 6: Josh Thompson, CB, Texas (A+)
Round 6 Pick 25: Grant Calcaterra, TE, SMU (A+)
Round 7 Pick 10: Jesse Luketa, ILB/OLB, Penn State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 26: Matt Araiza, P, San Diego State (A+)

PFN, traded 25+244 to KC for 30+94

Kaiir Elam

CB Florida

Devonte Wyatt

DT Georgia

Traded 89+168 to Titans for 90+130

Marquis Hayes

OG Oklahoma

Cam Taylor-Britt

CB Nebraska

Cade Mays

OG Tennessee

Calvin Austin III

WR Memphis

Charlie Kolar

TE Iowa State

Matt Araiza

P San Diego State

Zander Horvath

RB Purdue

Round: 1

Trent McDuffie

CB | Washington

Round: 2

John Metchie III

WR | Alabama

Round: 3

Jalen Wydermyer

TE | Texas A&M

Round: 4

Alec Lindstrom

IOL | Boston College

Round: 5

Hassan Haskins

RB | Michigan

Round: 6

Cade Mays

IOL | Tennessee

Round: 6

Matt Araiza

P | San Diego State

Round: 7

Marquan McCall

DL | Kentucky

Round: 7

Josh Thompson

CB | Texas

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.