Velus Jones Jr.

WR/KR Tennessee

Savion Williams

DT Florida A&M

Emmett Rice

LB Florida State

Garrett Crall

EDGE Wyoming

Interesting bit of info on Linderbaum - I listened to one of the Draft Network podcasts yesterday and they were saying the draft media consensus is higher on him than the team consensus and he is very much viewed as scheme dependant. I then cross checked that with one of the talking heads that I have a pretty good relationship with (regular readers can probably guess who I'm on about) and he said he talked to teams in Mobile who have him off their boards. He said he still expects him to go first round but thinks it will be later than expected. Interestingly he said despite the regularity with which he is mocked to Philly (and we all understand why, Kelce was an undersized center and is near the end) he doesn't know that theirs is one of the scheme fits (they did a lot more gap scheme last year and Linderbaum really is a zone blocker). 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Interesting bit of info on Linderbaum - I listened to one of the Draft Network podcasts yesterday and they were saying the draft media consensus is higher on him than the team consensus and he is very much viewed as scheme dependant. I then cross checked that with one of the talking heads that I have a pretty good relationship with (regular readers can probably guess who I'm on about) and he said he talked to teams in Mobile who have him off their boards. He said he still expects him to go first round but thinks it will be later than expected. Interestingly he said despite the regularity with which he is mocked to Philly (and we all understand why, Kelce was an undersized center and is near the end) he doesn't know that theirs is one of the scheme fits (they did a lot more gap scheme last year and Linderbaum really is a zone blocker). 

What scheme does Kromer employ? 

If there’s a match, would you take him at 25?

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

What scheme does Kromer employ? 

If there’s a match, would you take him at 25?

so Kromer has employed most schemes in his time. When he was with the Saints where he made his rep he was more of a gap scheme guy, then he took that to Chicago in his stint as their OC. When he came to Buffalo that was more hybrid because Roman runs the mos imaginative, creative, hybrid run scheme in football. But then he went to the Rams who are fundamentally stretch zone scheme. I imagine the Bills are going to be primarily more of a gap team given as that was the direction they were moving at the end of 2021 when they got the run game going some. 

As for would I draft him at #25, IF the Bills were going to pivot back to zone blocking (which I wouldn't be in favour of) and IF they board fell a certain way then there is a situation where I wouldn't hate it. But it would not be my first choice even if those two things were true. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve come to the conclusion that I hope the Bills go WR at #25.

Here are the positions I think it’s clear they will not draft in the 1st round:  QB, RB, TE, OL, LB, S.  That leaves DL, CB, and WR.  I know a lot of folks are worried about the DL and pass rush but I think they bring Hughes back and we’ve got to give the young guys (Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham) a chance to show they are developing.  I think they re-sign Harry and bring in a FA vet at DT.  I also have a feeling they wind up re-signing Levi.  They will draft at least one CB later on but I don’t see 1st round.  Which brings me back to WR in another strong class.  Beane has got to continue to give Josh weapons, so draft a guy with first round talent who doesn’t have to “star” immediately but can play ST and be the 4th WR in spread sets.  That’s an instant upgrade to an already dangerous offense.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, eball said:

Here are the positions I think it’s clear they will not draft in the 1st round:  QB, RB, TE, OL, LB, S.  That leaves DL, CB, and WR.  I know a lot of folks are worried about the DL and pass rush but I think they bring Hughes back and we’ve got to give the young guys (Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham) a chance to show they are developing.  I think they re-sign Harry and bring in a FA vet at DT.  I also have a feeling they wind up re-signing Levi.  They will draft at least one CB later on but I don’t see 1st round.  Which brings me back to WR in another strong class.  Beane has got to continue to give Josh weapons, so draft a guy with first round talent who doesn’t have to “star” immediately but can play ST and be the 4th WR in spread sets.  That’s an instant upgrade to an already dangerous offense.

Which WR do you want to draft in round 1? I only really want Jameson Williams at 25 if we are going WR there, he’s a home run pick. I don’t see any other WR in that range worth drafting unless someone really falls to us, If we don’t get Williams then I’d rather wait to draft a WR in round 2 or 3. 

14 minutes ago, eball said:

Why do you think its clear they won't draft OL? I think OL is still very much in play. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Why do you think its clear they won't draft OL? I think OL is still very much in play. 

They're not drafting OT with Dawkins and the way I'm sure they think Brown and Doyle will develop, and I'm just philosophically opposed to drafting a guard in the 1st round unless he's an absolutely can't-miss prospect.  I also think they are fine with Morse coming back at C.

They'll draft a lineman or two later on.

36 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Which WR do you want to draft in round 1? I only really want Jameson Williams at 25 if we are going WR there, he’s a home run pick. I don’t see any other WR in that range worth drafting unless someone really falls to us, If we don’t get Williams then I’d rather wait to draft a WR in round 2 or 3. 

Yes, Williams would be awesome but there are four or five guys I think could be solid picks at that spot.

8 minutes ago, eball said:

They're not drafting OT with Dawkins and the way I'm sure they think Brown and Doyle will develop, and I'm just philosophically opposed to drafting a guard in the 1st round unless he's an absolutely can't-miss prospect.  I also think they are fine with Morse coming back at C.

They'll draft a lineman or two later on.

So I think they should be willing to draft an OT, although I do tend to agree it is unlikely. I agree they should be philosophically against a guard but I am not convinced they are. 

I think OL is very much still in play in the 1st, Beane has described protecting Josh as his #1 priority. Beane is generally pretty straight. He doesn't do the Buddy Nix tricks and games. When he tells you he is focused on an area he usually aggressively attacks it. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I think they should be willing to draft an OT, although I do tend to agree it is unlikely. I agree they should be philosophically against a guard but I am not convinced they are. 

I think OL is very much still in play in the 1st, Beane has described protecting Josh as his #1 priority. Beane is generally pretty straight. He doesn't do the Buddy Nix tricks and games. When he tells you he is focused on an area he usually aggressively attacks it. 

Agreed, I just don't think that necessarily means 1st round.  It means moves like Kromer, tendering Bates, a FA or two, and then finding more prospects later in the draft.

• Agree 2

Just now, eball said:

Agreed, I just don't think that necessarily means 1st round.  It means moves like Kromer, tendering Bates, a FA or two, and then finding more prospects later in the draft.

He could certainly go aggressive in free agency. That is how I'd tackle guard. I'd go after a big fish there. Andrew Norwell would be my guy. Spotrac reckon he gets $9m AAV, I'd be all over that. A 3 year deal, with an easy out after year 2 and a hit of about $4m in 2022. 

If they do get aggressive in FA on the OL then I might agree with you that they will certainly not go that way in round 1. However, until that happens I don't think you can say OL is off the table. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CapeBreton said:

Burks from Arkansas would be a great pick if he lasts and Drake London from USC would add a sweet element to the offense if his injury recovery looks good. Then even Olave from Ohio St would be a strong fit imo. I'm totally open to WR if the guy is right. 

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He could certainly go aggressive in free agency. That is how I'd tackle guard. I'd go after a big fish there. Andrew Norwell would be my guy. Spotrac reckon he gets $9m AAV, I'd be all over that. A 3 year deal, with an easy out after year 2 and a hit of about $4m in 2022. 

If they do get aggressive in FA on the OL then I might agree with you that they will certainly not go that way in round 1. However, until that happens I don't think you can say OL is off the table. 

I'm hoping G and best fit Dline with a decent TE 2 for free agency, then let the draft fall as it may.

From PFN’s simulator.  I wasn’t targeting a DE high, but sometimes you can’t pass up value.  I think that there’s a good chance that we will see that kind of situation at 25.  One or two prospects sticking out, but not at immediate need positions. 

25. David Ojabo

EDGE Michigan

57. Derion Kendrick

CB Georgia

89. Alec Lindstrom

OC Boston College

129. John Ridgeway

DT Arkansas

168. Brian Robinson Jr.

RB Alabama

184. Justin Shaffer

OG Georgia

202. James Mitchell

TE Virginia Tech

229. Jeremiah Gemmel

LB North Carolina

244. Chris Oladokun

QB South Dakota State

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Floydboy12 said:

I feel like WR really drops off after 2nd round so if they’re gonna take one I hope it’s early. I also really wish we would take one of the top LB’s in first 3 rounds as a possible Edmunds replacement but I know that’s not likely to happen. 

I feel like you are off on this. Deep deep draft. Going to get starter level wrs in the 4 - 5th and maybe even6th  round depending on what you are looking for. With us likely going the speed route we should find what we need there.

Drake London

WR, another dimension to the offense

Darian Kinnard

IOL, we need to get better, was rated 44th I believe

Cam Taylor-Britt

CB, fits perfectly into our defense

John Ridgeway

IDL, run down hunk a meat that can team up with Harry to shutdown the run

Alec Lindstrom

IOL, center of the future, learns from Mitch. Can also play guard

Haskell Garrett

IDL, replaces ridgeway on passing downs

Isaiah Thomas

EDGE, fourth young edge player for youngest defensive end rotation.

Isaac Taylor-Stuart

CB, he's got the physical attributes of Ramsey, needs coaching and reps

Mike Harley

WR, slot, that can take the top off the D

Edited by ScorpionZero
  • Like (+1) 2

Round 1 Pick 26: Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington (A)
Round 2 Pick 26: John Metchie, WR, Alabama (A+)
Round 3 Pick 26: Tyler Davis, DT, Clemson (A+)
Round 4 Pick 26: Alec Lindstrom, C/OG, Boston College (A+)
Round 5 Pick 26: Hassan Haskins, RB, Michigan (A+)
Round 6 Pick 6: Jesse Luketa, ILB/OLB, Penn State (A+)
Round 6 Pick 25: Matt Araiza, P, San Diego State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 10: PJ Mustipher, DT, Penn State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 26: Joshua Williams, CB, Fayetteville State (A+)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.