Thoughts on draft

John from Riverside

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

And there are plenty of DEs available on FA. Will be $$ picking the right one is key. I Personally like Clowney 

Chandler Jones!  Fix pass rush-that elevates our whole D.  Then prioritize offense in draft-RB, WR, TE, OL

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/24/2022 at 1:33 AM, John from Riverside said:

I was very gung ho about a guard in the first round of this upcoming draft however I think Ryan Bates Has made his name in consideration for that starting spot honestly keeping this group might not be a bad idea even though we should draft a bates like player in the draft

We need a corner with speed or a pure pass rusher on the defensive line rounds one or two of this next draft in my opinion thoughts?

I would go OL, then DB, then edge rusher, in that order.

I would also rather acquire a proven pass rusher rather than draft one that we hope turns into a good player; this administration is terrible at evaluating DL talent.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I would go OL, then DB, then edge rusher, in that order.

I would also rather acquire a proven pass rusher rather than draft one that we hope turns into a good player; this administration is terrible at evaluating DL talent.

Why do you keep on saying that it makes you look ignorant the staff is not bad at evaluating dl talent

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I want my big tub of goo for the D line

Ankau Isn’t fair enough for you

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Do you think there is a talent difference between pick 25 and 40? There isn't. The only reason to stay in first round is the fifth year extension option. 

Otherwise I take 4 picks in the top 100 over 3 any day even if that means dropping out of the first round. 

For what it is worth I think Beane will stay put and take the best CB left on their board. 

Of that list the only guy worth a contract is Phillips. Mid-season when he was a healthy scratch I though he was gone. But he really played well when Zimmer went down.  Good news is there shouldn ot be much of a competitive market for him.

Wallace will be too expensive and they can get younger and cheaper in the draft. Zimmer and Boettger were not that good before they were injured. Obada on a veteran minimum maybe but I suspect any UDFA DE can fill his role. 

JSP

With 9 picks in the upcoming draft, use one of the day-3 choices and get the best punter available if there's one that is seen as an upgrade over Haack or other available FA's. 

Would love to have a punter who can hang it high to give the Bills' defenders an opportunity to down it inside the 20 consistently.  Getting sick of net gains of 30 yards with touchbacks following punts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/24/2022 at 1:33 AM, John from Riverside said:

I was very gung ho about a guard in the first round of this upcoming draft however I think Ryan Bates Has made his name in consideration for that starting spot honestly keeping this group might not be a bad idea even though we should draft a bates like player in the draft

We need a corner with speed or a pure pass rusher on the defensive line rounds one or two of this next draft in my opinion thoughts?

Wide receiver.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

And there are plenty of DEs available on FA. Will be $$ picking the right one is key. I Personally like Clowney 

my guys is Chandler Jones.  Clowney would be okay if the money is right, but not a lot of production out of him so far.  

fill holes by trading picks or in FA.  Then BPA.  Impact day 1 players/starters from the draft if we have Rd. 1 and 2 picks.  That's all.  

That said, I think those players are likely to be at one of several positions: C (if Linderblum (sp) falls); CB (lots of talented CBs coming out, need the right one who can press a WR and has speed; WR--class is also deep.  Safety: we have to aging/expensive safeties, are there any guys who would fit that mold in the 2nd round (haven't seen many mocked later in the first).  

• Like (+1) 1

It will be interesting to see how the draft needs shift throughout early free agency.

Right now, here is kind of how I would rank the team needs. 

IOL

IDL

CB

WR

EDGE

RB

TE

QB

And even though WR, RB, & TE are lower on the list, I do think that they need to try and add one more offensive weapon that other teams need to worry about as they prepare for the Bills. 

Signing just one stable free agent to improve either corner, C/G, WR, or 1-Tech DT will greatly simplify the draft picture.  Not talking about reclamation projects, but known commodities.   Would like a quality guard in free agency since the interior OL needs starting level talent from Game 1.  Josh is lethal with a good O-line (protection) and all moves need to support this.  Other positions can be drafted and worked in when ready.

7 hours ago, SoMAn said:

With 9 picks in the upcoming draft, use one of the day-3 choices and get the best punter available if there's one that is seen as an upgrade over Haack or other available FA's. 

Would love to have a punter who can hang it high to give the Bills' defenders an opportunity to down it inside the 20 consistently.  Getting sick of net gains of 30 yards with touchbacks following punts.

Agree.  The old cliche points about kickers and punters not being real football players and not worth drafting have no merit.  A good punter is a weapon and more is made and lost with a good punter than the backup scrub you usually get in Rds 6-7. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Favorite mock so far.

25. Zion Johnson IOL,

57. Breece Hall RB,

89. Jalen Wydermyer TE,

128. Alec Lindstrom IOL,

167. Josh Williams - Fayetteville State

CB,

183. Nick Grant S,

201. Tyquan Thornton WR,

228. P.J. Mustipher IDL,

243. Smoke Monday S,

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This one from fan speak has different ratings. As can be seen.

25: R1 P25 C Tyler Linderbaum - Iowa

57: R2 P25 RB Breece Hall - Iowa State

89: R3 P25 CB Tariq Castro-Fields - Penn State

129: R4 P25 G Jamaree Salyer - Georgia

168: R5 P25 CB Brendan Radley-Hiles - Washington

184: R6 P6 WR Charleston Rambo - Miami

202: R6 P24 S Bubba Bolden - Miami

229: R7 P10 DL Otito Ogbonnia - UCLA

244: R7 P25 S Yusuf Corker - Kentucky

Edited by ScorpionZero

I feel like you create your Board then wait to see what happens.  If there are 7 players you love and the Bills are on the clock, trade down.  If the 19th pick was just made and only one player you love is left, trade up.  There are too many variables to have a pre-determined strategy of targeting positions or trades.  

8 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Seems like an excellent use of a 6th or 7th round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I feel like you create your Board then wait to see what happens.  If there are 7 players you love and the Bills are on the clock, trade down.  If the 19th pick was just made and only one player you love is left, trade up.  There are too many variables to have a pre-determined strategy of targeting positions or trades.  

I've been thinking of taking all the big boards from the top 5-6 draft sites and coming up with all in one big board. It should help make mocks that fall closer to reality. At least that's the logic behind it. But not doing it, till after combine.

This one's from first pick.

Round 1 Pick 26: Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia (A)
Round 2 Pick 26: Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 26: George Pickens, WR, Georgia (A+)
Round 4 Pick 26: Brian Asamoah, ILB/OLB, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 5 Pick 26: Chris Paul, OG, Tulsa (A+)
Round 6 Pick 6: Mykael Wright, CB, Oregon (A+)
Round 6 Pick 25: Demani Richardson, FS/SS, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 7 Pick 10: Joshua Williams, CB, Fayetteville State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 26: Jordan Stout, P, Penn State (A+)

Edited by ScorpionZero
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.