Thoughts on draft

John from Riverside

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

always been on the “leaning toward re-signing him” side, but after tonight, it’s just not working.

That's exactly where I am, I gave him a ton of leeway but he ain't it going forward.

51 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Really?  Tre White at 27 says you are wrong

There's always outliers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 1:33 AM, John from Riverside said:

I was very gung ho about a guard in the first round of this upcoming draft however I think Ryan Bates Has made his name in consideration for that starting spot honestly keeping this group might not be a bad idea even though we should draft a bates like player in the draft

We need a corner with speed or a pure pass rusher on the defensive line rounds one or two of this next draft in my opinion thoughts?

BPA  😜😜...

I think we corner there but you never know who falls that might be to good to pass up.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2022 at 10:36 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

I want Faalele some how some way. Give me also a WR like WanDale Robinson. I want another CB too, but we need to focus on the offense this year. 

I agree, we need to prepare to score more than 42 points in order to advance past KC.  #1 defense's are overrated anyway. 

My thoughts are we need to see who we get in free agency / trades before we know what the Bills need in the draft.

However, I would not be opposed to a highly drafted cornerback with elite physical traits.

On 1/24/2022 at 12:00 AM, Gene1973 said:

McDermott got to do it his way last offseason and it failed. Those two DE's were useless this season, and this game.

If I'm Pegula, no longer do I allow McDermott telling Beane who to draft.

McDermott was the one who passed on Mahomes for a CB, and we all know Pegula wanted Mahomes. Now, Allen was probably the better fit here ultimately, but the defense first mindset is why the Bills can't get past the Chiefs. They will have trouble getting past the Bengals and Chargers in the comming years if they keep letting McDermott draft defense.

Not only is McDermott a failure on gamedays too often, but he is a failure on draft day as well.

There's a lot of speculation on what actually happened in this post. Any sources to back this up?

On 1/23/2022 at 11:42 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

I honestly hate this team so much right now. We spent some much draft capital and money on a defense that looks like garbage most of the time. I’m tired of it honestly. We have to find a way to keep scoring more than KC and that means more speed WRs and o-linemen to give Josh even more time. 

You hate the team? This is the best team we have had in decades.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

My thoughts are we need to see who we get in free agency / trades before we know what the Bills need in the draft.

However, I would not be opposed to a highly drafted cornerback with elite physical traits.

There's a lot of speculation on what actually happened in this post. Any sources to back this up?

You hate the team? This is the best team we have had in decades.

As to FA's who of our own would you re-sign before others?

On 1/23/2022 at 11:00 PM, Gene1973 said:

McDermott got to do it his way last offseason and it failed. Those two DE's were useless this season, and this game.

If I'm Pegula, no longer do I allow McDermott telling Beane who to draft.

McDermott was the one who passed on Mahomes for a CB, and we all know Pegula wanted Mahomes. Now, Allen was probably the better fit here ultimately, but the defense first mindset is why the Bills can't get past the Chiefs. They will have trouble getting past the Bengals and Chargers in the comming years if they keep letting McDermott draft defense.

Not only is McDermott a failure on gamedays too often, but he is a failure on draft day as well.

From now on I draft offense and trade picks for PROVEN defensive players. Don't let McD make anymore defensive selections. This strategy worked brilliantly with Diggs. Good Lord keep doing it. And don't be afraid to go all in like the Rams. So many 1st round picks bust anyway. 

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

From now on I draft offense and trade picks for PROVEN defensive players. Don't let McD make anymore defensive selections. This strategy worked brilliantly with Diggs. Good Lord keep doing it. And don't be afraid to go all in like the Rams. So many 1st round picks bust anyway. 

The Bengals did that too. They drafted skill position players and signed FA for defense. They also only have 6 total scouts, so they probably just asked Joe Burrow who he wanted the day before the draft.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

As to FA's who of our own would you re-sign before others?

I'd try to re-sign the following:

Ike Boettger

Harrison Phillips

Levi Wallace (but he might be too expensive)

Justin Zimmer

Efe Obada (If he is really cheap)

And I would put a 2nd round tender on Ryan Bates.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2022 at 10:36 PM, John from Riverside said:

Ethan we need immediate starters and game changers I don’t think we get that by trading down

Do you think there is a talent difference between pick 25 and 40? There isn't. The only reason to stay in first round is the fifth year extension option. 

Otherwise I take 4 picks in the top 100 over 3 any day even if that means dropping out of the first round. 

For what it is worth I think Beane will stay put and take the best CB left on their board. 

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Ike Boettger

Harrison Phillips

Justin Zimmer

Of that list the only guy worth a contract is Phillips. Mid-season when he was a healthy scratch I though he was gone. But he really played well when Zimmer went down.  Good news is there shouldn ot be much of a competitive market for him.

Wallace will be too expensive and they can get younger and cheaper in the draft. Zimmer and Boettger were not that good before they were injured. Obada on a veteran minimum maybe but I suspect any UDFA DE can fill his role. 

• Disagree 2

27 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Of that list the only guy worth a contract is Phillips. Mid-season when he was a healthy scratch I though he was gone. But he really played well when Zimmer went down.  Good news is there shouldn ot be much of a competitive market for him.

Wallace will be too expensive and they can get younger and cheaper in the draft. Zimmer and Boettger were not that good before they were injured. Obada on a veteran minimum maybe but I suspect any UDFA DE can fill his role. 

These are decent depth guys who will not be expensive. What is the point of going out and replacing them with similar caliber players or wasting draft picks to fill the roster with these types? They know the system, they are good depth, and they likely won't be expensive.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Do you think there is a talent difference between pick 25 and 40? There isn't. The only reason to stay in first round is the fifth year extension option. 

Otherwise I take 4 picks in the top 100 over 3 any day even if that means dropping out of the first round. 

For what it is worth I think Beane will stay put and take the best CB left on their board. 

Yes I do think there can be a talent difference between 25 and 40.   25 is where you get that guy that somehow slips out of the top 10-15 for various reasons and falls right into your lap at 25.   When you get into the 2nd round some of the players have been picked over TWICE before they get to the 40th pick.

We dont need players that might develop a couple of years down the road.....we need those 1st (and 2nd) round picks to be immediate contributers because now we are paying a unicorn QB unicorn money and we are not going to be able to keep all of our vets.

45 minutes ago, MJS said:

Ike Boettger

Harrison Phillips

Justin Zimmer

Thanks.

I don't have Wallace, or Boetteger on my list. But do have Zimmer, Obada, Phillips and Bates.

I think Wallace will be too expensive and Boetteger I thought could easily be replaced. I have Hughes (vet presence 1 yr deal)and Neil instead. 

I also have McKenzie as a possibility, but totally depends on what they do with Beasley.

On 1/24/2022 at 1:42 AM, IronMaidenBills said:

I honestly hate this team so much right now. We spent some much draft capital and money on a defense that looks like garbage most of the time. I’m tired of it honestly. We have to find a way to keep scoring more than KC and that means more speed WRs and o-linemen to give Josh even more time. 

Thank you for making me feel good about my level of emotional stability.

3 hours ago, BananaB said:

CB…. Can’t waste another pick on a DL and hope he makes the transition before Ed and Harry have. Gotta look for a pass rusher in FA. 

And there are plenty of DEs available on FA. Will be $$ picking the right one is key. I Personally like Clowney 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.