How many chances does McDermott have left?

Igotbills

2 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I mean, this would be more on Beane then Mcclapinslap.  We were built to beat the Chiefs but the defensive speed is nowhere near their level.  Should have tried some in season improvements.  Not that I advocate moving on from him but we're just a red c hair away from the Chiefs level.

Beane and McD are in lockstep and Beane didn’t refuse to squib kick.   Beane didn’t tell them to inexplicably play prevent, Guard the sideline (when Chiefs had TO’s) and defend against a Hail Mary for no reason.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Because Buffalo is a Small Market and seemingly liked by many of the National Media/Twitter world…

…Tonight’s game will not go as badly for them as it might have if a team from (see below) lost after having a lead with 00:13 left:

New York

New York

New England

Chicago

Dallas

Los Angeles

Cleveland

In this instance being a likeable small market will help shield the team from the outcome this past weekend.

Our defense gave up 144 total points against the following teams:

Chiefs (two games)

Titans 

Colts

Bucs

5 total games.  

29 ppg against real offenses. 

289 total regular season points allowed. 

102 of them vs the above 4 teams.  25.5 ppg allowed.  

187 points in the other 13 games.  About 14 ppg allowed against crap offenses.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

What if the bad means Allen never has a shot at a championship?

If I was an owner of a NFL team, at some point I’m asking my star QB to sit down with me for a secret meeting. I’m directly asking him what he needs to win a super bowl and that nothing he says will be held against him. If he truly feels his coaches aren’t good enough, then so be it, say it. We all known Allen is elite, we can see it with our eyes. Something doesn’t feel right. 

6 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

If I was an owner of a NFL team, at some point I’m asking my star QB to sit down with me for a secret meeting. I’m directly asking him what he needs to win a super bowl and that nothing he says will be held against him. If he truly feels his coaches aren’t good enough, then so be it, say it. We all known Allen is elite, we can see it with our eyes. Something doesn’t feel right. 

Yes. But if so I dont think you do it in secret. I think you have the conversation with QB, coach, gm independently. 

Not sure if it's already been posted, I didn't read the entire thread.  McD should stay for a while.  I see him as a coach that has evolved.  Going for it on all of the 4th downs he has this past season seems "out of character" for him...in a good way.  He seems like a guy that is okay with not being stubborn.  He's a coach that seems to be able to "adapt" and I think that is a great quality.  He brings/has brought a lot to this franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, phypon said:

Not sure if it's already been posted, I didn't read the entire thread.  McD should stay for a while.  I see him as a coach that has evolved.  Going for it on all of the 4th downs he has this past season seems "out of character" for him...in a good way.  He seems like a guy that is okay with not being stubborn.  He's a coach that seems to be able to "adapt" and I think that is a great quality.  He brings/has brought a lot to this franchise.

I said it after his complete failure in the first NE game (which cost us this game at home FWIW) that McDermott will never get this team to the big game, and he has only further cemented my belief with his epic failure with 13 seconds left to secure the victory by using the squib kick.

McDermott brings something to the table, but it's not supreme coaching ability to match his all world QB.

Too many Bills fans are like their coach and are afraid to not accept failure and reach for greatness.

Josh Allen and company deserve better

2 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I said it after his complete failure in the first NE game (which cost us this game at home FWIW) that McDermott will never get this team to the big game, and he has only further cemented my belief with his epic failure with 13 seconds left to secure the victory by using the squib kick.

McDermott brings something to the table, but it's not supreme coaching ability to match his all world QB.

Too many Bills fans are like their coach and are afraid to not accept failure and reach for greatness.

Josh Allen slipping in Tennessee also cost us this game at home probably. (Not blaming Allen, it's luck). 

Too many bills fans are impatient and cant see that this already good coach has improved continually

McDermott and Co deserve more time, they have earned it through improved results and developing josh allen. 

Yes Mcd has made mistakes aswell. He is not perfect but a very good coach who has gotten better. He has beaten Belichick, Reid, Harbaugh, Tomlin and Mcvay.

We are all disappointed in the result. 

6 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I understand your point, I really do.  I think he deserves 2 more years though.  I've been more harsh on the coordinators up to this point.  I do think McD should have taken over the D for this game.  I think (if he didn't) that if he didn't it was because he wanted to give Frasier a chance to prove himself because he's a HC'ing candidate.  Pure speculation on my part obviously.  I do think that Frasier should be gone after this one no matter what.  As for McD, I give him a 1 or 2 year pass.  This one really, really hurts. :( 

Sean McDermott has snapped the drought, lifted us much higher then we'd actually be, and has gotten the most out of his players.  It's understandable people are frustrated.  People hate Outta Control Andy for his Coaching of eye gouges, punches, and kicks.  The officials let that happen last year and this year as well.  There's now ay they wanted KC to lose that one and allowed defensive players to get throttled.  

8 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Literally no one outside this forum believes this. National media is raving about this game. 

McDermott is a defensive minded coach and I’ve never seen a team give up so many yards and lose so many games under 2 minutes. We play so ***** soft on D and every time the other team comes right down the field for a W I said this a long time ago. McDermott is a soft hearted man with no killer instinct n I told you we will never win with him as our coach everyone said I was crazy 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Sean McDermott has snapped the drought, lifted us much higher then we'd actually be, and has gotten the most out of his players.  It's understandable people are frustrated.  People hate Outta Control Andy for his Coaching of eye gouges, punches, and kicks.  The officials let that happen last year and this year as well.  There's now ay they wanted KC to lose that one and allowed defensive players to get throttled.  

He’s still soft allowing teams to win games with less then a minute left is becoming a McDermott trait. N Daboll took the ball out of Allen’s hands after we held them to a field goal. This coaching staff makes so many game day mistakes 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Igotbills said:

I have followed this board a long time, just don’t post. I think it’s a good question and worth a discussion. Do you think no change is needed if we lose again to kc next year? 

Did you enjoy the previous 20 years?

We lost in an historically absurd game to an opposing qb who also played perfect.

Maybe you're thinking a coin toss to decide McDermott future??

• Thank you (+1) 1

How does he have any respect from his players after this? The offensive guys will be pissed that such an incredible effort was wasted. The defensive guys will be pissed that he coached so gutless and scared that they were in prevent with 13 seconds left guarding the endzone. I think he dug his own grave last night. A coach's word just doesn't mean as much after losing a game the way they lost last night. Cowardly 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

McDermott is just not a very clever coach. We all applaud him for his process and culture burgers that he cooks up. But how awful was our D tonight. The only D lineman that gave a damn tonight was Ed with 1 sack and 2 TFL's. Oliver also got held 3-4 times as Hussey ignored it. Our pass rushing DE's should take that embarrassment question from Sullivan. I don't know what to make of Clappy anymore. Squib the f ing ball dumbass.

The inability of the right side to contain has killed the Bills for years. Jerry Hughes looked like a slow rookie on the Mahomes TD run. Also, deciding Levi Wallace is enough finally bit them big. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.