How many chances does McDermott have left?

Igotbills

He should have squibed on the kickoff after Josh got us the lead. With 13 seconds left, the squib would have took 3-5 seconds off the clock. More than likely we win if he does that. I thought for SURE they would squib. That’s my biggest disappointment from last night. Hell of a game all around. 

6 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Too many Bills fans are like their coach and are afraid to not accept failure and reach for greatness.

Josh Allen and company deserve better

You're not wrong, but I don't think the time to fire McDermott is just yet.  

If anything, Beane is pretty sharp.  He's done a great job assembling this squad, sees what's going on and will make the move when he feels he has to. 

Thinking on it overnight, I'm almost sure of it.

13 hours ago, Igotbills said:

McDermott flipped the franchises around but at some point getting to the divisional round/ afc championship game aren’t enough. 

Does McDermott get 1 more shot? 2? 

if we meet KC again next year and lose again, do part ways? 

You sound like the Eagles owner when he gave up on Andy Reid.  No appreciation for how hard it is to win the Super Bowl. 

McDermott will be improving as a coach over the next 20 years.   We haven't yet seen anything close to his best.    

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Marvin Lewis literally has never won a playoff game. The comparison you’re making is such a bad one. I get it, you’re upset and aren’t thinking rationally.

Lots of upset people want to fire McD but nobody has yet to give who they’d want as a replacement that takes this team to the next level. 

This is laughable. Go to sleep. You’re drunk.

62 teams have had the lead with less than 20 seconds to go …over the past 15 years. Last night was the first time any team has ever lost in that situation. That is a direct reflection on poor coaching strategy. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Who do you replace him with.  He turned around a miserable franchise.   4 playoffs in 5 years.  You want him gone if no SB next year?????

You may want to change your name to overreactbillsfan1.

We should follow the Steelers example for handling head coaches.  Changing head coaches every few years doesn't work.  We have a great coach.   He will continue to learn and develop. 

Steelers won a SB 14 years ago, lost another 12 years ago.  They aren't going to win another with Tomlin next year, or the year after that....that's consistency.

Maybe not a great example.

13 hours ago, Igotbills said:

McDermott flipped the franchises around but at some point getting to the divisional round/ afc championship game aren’t enough. 

Does McDermott get 1 more shot? 2? 

if we meet KC again next year and lose again, do part ways? 

Why again are noobs allowed to start threads to cause trouble?

• Agree 1

Can you imagine how critical this forum would have been, with a short kick off, that allowed Chiefs to run back into Bills territory. The forum would have screamed Music City again, how stupid can 1 man be. Well, he remember our history, and kicked out of zone to give the #1 D 13 seconds to defend 40 yes.

1 hour ago, KOKBILLS said:

McD is not going anywhere any time soon...

But that does not take him off the hook for those 13 seconds...That was a debacle and it's his job to figure out how to win when you have a 91% probability to do so...This loss is squarely on the Coaching staff...The game was won...And they blew it...B-)

This is all true... My only question is, how do we know if McD is to Josh Allen as Dan Reeves was to John Elway?

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

McDermott's seat doesn't even get warm until he misses playoffs in back to back seasons. 

So until then, it's not even something to talk about.

A coach who misses the playoffs with a healthy Josh Allen should probably be fired immediately, absent extenuating circumstances.

I was out on Friday with a former, now retired,  St Louis Rams football executive.   He said that McDermott has transformed Buffalo from a place that no players wanted to go to, to the exact opposite.   He talked about the terrible reputation The Bills had among NFL coaches and players during the drought. 

So yes, lets fire him and take our chances again.  Just look at all the losers that Pegula has hired for the Sabres and think twice about firing McD or Beane.   Pegula got lucky with McDermott.  Bills history has never seen us fire a good coach to hire a better one.  It has never happened yet.  

McD and/or Frazier made bad decisions in the last 13 seconds, I agree with that.  But firing him is just a ridiculous over-reaction. 

I will take the Pittsburgh Steelers model.   Keep your coach, let him learn just like the players do, and let the stability of a well run organization keep you in contention.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The patriots have completely warped people's sense of reality when it comes to winning a super bowl.

Who are the best coaches in the NFL right now today?

Bill Belichick - 6 super bowls head coach for 26 years

Andy Reid - 1 super bowl, head coach for 23 seasons

Sean Payton - 1 super bowl hc for 15 years

Mike Tomlin - 1 super bowl hc for 14 years

John Harbaugh - 1 super bowl hc for 14 years

Pete Carroll - 1 super bowl hc for 16 years

Bruce Arians - 1 super bowl hc for 9 years (Brady)

The only other active coach to win a super bowl is Mike McCarthy and I don't think anyone thinks of him as a top coach.  No other active coach has a super bowl.  Not McVay, not LaFLeur, not Shanahan, not any of these other guys thought of as the best coaches in the league.

Having a competitive team with a chance to win it all every year is the goal.  The Bills have that with McD.  Yes we are all hurting today but come on, he is already what the 2nd or 3rd best coach the Bills have ever had?  Firing him would be one of the dumbest mistakes the Bills have ever made.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Who do you replace him with.  He turned around a miserable franchise.   4 playoffs in 5 years.  You want him gone if no SB next year?????

You may want to change your name to overreactbillsfan1.

We should follow the Steelers example for handling head coaches.  Changing head coaches every few years doesn't work.  We have a great coach.   He will continue to learn and develop. 

You're confused.  Josh Allen is far more responsible for that than McDermott.  If Beane had not drafted Josh Allen, we'd be the Jets, or at best the Dolphins, right now.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

A coach who misses the playoffs with a healthy Josh Allen should probably be fired immediately, absent extenuating circumstances.

Depends. I mean a 2-15 season, sure things would get warm quick. But not if he misses with a winning record. 

McDermott has earned it. Upgrading McDermott isn't easy.

I've been a huge critic of McDermott but sometimes you can't stop fate and it might be time to finally acknowledge that there is something to this talk that Mahomes not only may be the next Tom Brady, but something much more special if that's even possible.

With that said Josh Allen just finished the playoffs with the best ever passer rating (min 50 attempts) at 149.0. The previous best was Joe Montana in 1989 @ 146.6 and Bart Starr in 1966 @ 135.6. Both of them went on to win the SB.

Just not sure there is nothing else this team can do other than secure home field in a playoff game against the Chiefs for the best chance of stopping them and ending another nightmare for the rest of the league.

• Dislike 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Depends. I mean a 2-15 season, sure things would get warm quick. But not if he misses with a winning record. 

McDermott has earned it. Upgrading McDermott isn't easy.

I'm not sure about that.  As long as Josh Allen is around, Buffalo will be hire the best available candidate in any given year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.