How many chances does McDermott have left?

Igotbills

10 minutes ago, Magox said:

He knows they screwed up and I'm sure he feels worse about it than anyone else.  He is a man of integrity and high character and I wouldn't be surprised the "execute" part has more meaning to than we know.  In any case, it was a colossal screw up and messed up a team that was good enough to be the Super Bowl winners.  The Bills are good enough to win the way we are.

With that said, 13 seconds does not and will not define a man who was at the forefront of turning this organization around.  He cut out cancers on this team and many fans were outraged that he got rid of them.  They ended up being the right decisions, he ended up creating a culture of accountability and brotherhood, he turned this franchise from a 18 year drought laughing stalk to a blossoming perennial power.  He brought in Beane who made the decision to get Josh Allen when all the "experts" and people on this board were salivating over "right" Josh.     He knew he was going to get his QB the day he was drafted, and traded away picks to make sure he had the draft capital to get his man and they did.  For that, we should all be eternally grateful for Beane for doing so.    

It hurts and it sucks that we lost, specially the way we lost.  But in no way shape or form does that take away all the things he has done with this team and I have no doubt in my mind (barring injury to Allen), that this team will reach a Super Bowl or two.

Agree with all of that.  But what is he going to do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

If rather him just come out and say “I screwed up and I’ll do everything in my power to make sure it doesn’t happen again” instead of the same old rhetoric. 

You think he owes you that?

He said they didn’t execute. And then he said that’s on him but because he didn’t say it how you wanna hear it, it’s not good enough? 

I don't think we should fire McDermott.  He's a steady hand and a good leader.  He just needs to keep hiring the right staff.  It's not really his job to be clever and coordinate offense or defense.

...but I'll say this: he's extremely fortunate to have Josh Allen.  In the same vein, his quarterback just gifted him a Lombardi, and his lauded DC couldn't do his job for 13 seconds. That falls squarely on McDermott, and he needs to be better- right now; not in 5 years.  At a certain point he and his staff need to start making the right decisions before learning from the wrong ones.

2 minutes ago, Evian said:

McDermott is dead man walking. They will fire him next year when they lose to the Chiefs again. 

Ken Dorsey is going to be a great head coach for the Bills. Two, maybe even Three Superbowls coming to Buffalo.  

I think this is a little bit of a reach.....

23 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agree with all of that.  But what is he going to do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Why does he need to explain what he’s going to do? Because fans are upset? Do you think his job is to appease the fans?

I think at end of day, you either accept that McD is the type of coach that will make the necessary changes or you don’t. 

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I think this is a little bit of a reach.....

I can assure you when they lose to the Chiefs again next year McDermott will be fired. Allen/McDermott are never beating Mahomes/Reid in a playoff game. Never. McDermott will always choke in the big spot against Reid.

• Disagree 1

Just now, Evian said:

I can assure you when they lose to the Chiefs again next year McDermott will be fired. Allen/McDermott are never beating Mahomes/Reid in a playoff game. Never. McDermott will always choke in the big spot against Reid.

We don't know if they will lose to KC next year, but if it happens McD won't be fired. A while back it was said Reid choked in big moments too. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I honestly believe he and Beane will reflect on what went right and what went wrong and will look to address that.  I think one of the things that they will do after they perform an audit on themselves is that they will find that he McD needs to get better with some of his game time decisions.  I think they will also start believing that they can be even more aggressive than they have been, they have Josh Freaking Allen, they need to realize that.  This team plays better when coaches and players are all with the aggressive mindset.

I believe Beane will look at what is happening with the Rams and see that they have a model of urgency.  I don't believe he will look to be as aggressive as them but you have to believe that he understands that we are in a SuperBowl window and that window could begin to close somewhat and that they can be aggressive to get that hopeful difference maker.

Look at a lot of these successful coaches, Andy Reid and the Eagles parted way because there was a stigma attached to him for not being able to win the big games or Belichek with his first stint.

McD is relatively young and he has had tremendous success considering what he was inheriting.  He isn't without flaw, OBVIOUSLY, but I honestly believe they will learn painfully so from their mistakes.  

The Bills have a really good thing going on right now, we are good enough to win a Super Bowl the way we are, it just didn't work out because a lack of  situational awareness from the coaches.  Last year, they played the Chiefs and tried to address what they needed to beat them.  They know what they need to do, it's just a matter of making sure that they draft well and get the players we need in FA.

We have Josh Allen, and as long as he is upright and healthy and we surround him with weapons, we will always be in the hunt.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/23/2022 at 10:42 PM, Nextmanup said:

There will be a ton of Bills fans who disagree with you here, mostly because they are afraid we will screw up the hiring of his replacement.

So they assume better to stick with the one you know forever.

Some men remain married to the wrong woman for 30 years based on the same thinking.

Though I feel he won't be let go I wouldn't be surprised if he's not in the future if this trend continues. 

Unless a new HC totally changes what's in place it would be really be hard to not win with Josh and Co.

He's gotta be better. Sure his players have "bought in" but you have to bring it home with a title.

I remember Marty Schottenheimer being fired after a 14-2 season and early exit with the Chargers. 

💩 happens!

Edited by billsbackto81

I will never be in the just happy to be making the playoffs camp.   The goal is a superbowl championship.  Plenty of coaches never got there for years because they didnt have the team or the QB.   I mean jeez have the Jets replaced Namath since the late 60s superbowl.    I dont think anyone is really arguing to fire McD.    That being said, we have the QB and  I would have no problem replacing Frazier with Fangio.  His D is soft and not aggressive enough.   Works well against the poor teams. not so much against the better teams.    Lastly, if he fails to get us to the promised land in a few years, I would have no problem replacing McD, because coaches would be salivating at coming into a team with a franchise QB.   Tampa Bay got sick of Dungy and them losing close, low scoring playoff games.   They got Gruden and won the SB, it was the right call.  They didnt want to spend another year wasting that defense.   This team, with this QB can win a SB with the right coach.   If it aint McD in a few years, then I thank him for what he did and wish him well in his next opportunity. 

4 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

I will never be in the just happy to be making the playoffs camp.   The goal is a superbowl championship.  Plenty of coaches never got there for years because they didnt have the team or the QB.   I mean jeez have the Jets replaced Namath since the late 60s superbowl.    I dont think anyone is really arguing to fire McD.    That being said, we have the QB and  I would have no problem replacing Frazier with Fangio.  His D is soft and not aggressive enough.   Works well against the poor teams. not so much against the better teams.    Lastly, if he fails to get us to the promised land in a few years, I would have no problem replacing McD, because coaches would be salivating at coming into a team with a franchise QB.   Tampa Bay got sick of Dungy and them losing close, low scoring playoff games.   They got Gruden and won the SB, it was the right call.  They didnt want to spend another year wasting that defense.   This team, with this QB can win a SB with the right coach.   If it aint McD in a few years, then I thank him for what he did and wish him well in his next opportunity. 

I think what you write here is just about exactly the correct way to view the situation, at this point in time.

Heck, we may win the SB next year or the following year, and this discussion will quietly die.

But if a couple more years pass with disappointing playoff losses, it may well be time to figure out how to replace McDermott.

TONS of Bills fans will forever be opposed to the idea, simply b/c we have had so many horrid coaches in our history, and I think most will assume the next coach will be a bust and destroy what McDermott has built.

It doesn't have to be that way, folks!  

8 hours ago, Evian said:

I bet you thought a sweet potato would will us to victory too.

McD was a genius last week & a bum this one. 31 coaches will be bums by the end of the season. Only 1 wins it all. Tons of teams have changed coaches mid ride. When's the last time changing coaches = winning the SB? Dungy's about it. He & Bean built this highly respected team & ended a 17 year drought. Teams would like up to take him. McD will be here for at least the next few years. So all we can do is Bill-ieve that the right changes will be made to win it all next year!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like Sean, but ownership cannot afford anymore historic breakdowns, short-circuiting incredible performances. Our fanbase deserve better in-game decisions and transparency regarding mistakes. Sean's playoff record has been OK, considering Josh's development. Going forward, with arguably the best pure QB talent in the NFL, his situational coaching will determine his ability to remain as our coach. My hope is he realizes getting to the SB requires bold and aggressive strategy. Coaching not to lose is not working. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.