How many chances does McDermott have left?

Igotbills

He gets several more seasons.  No one with any objectivity can deny the job he and Beane have done with this team.  They have made the Bills into a contender, and there's no reason to think that will change.  But if we don't get to a SB in the next couple years, and if we don't because the D lets us down again, then I could see a Dungy/Gruden type thing as happened with the Bucs years ago.  You might need a change with the same group of players to give a different mindset that puts them over the hump.

I’m guessing God just wanted the Chiefs to win, right McD?  Last week all praise to God for win led your post game press conference.  Big win, all praise to God for it.  Big lose, we all need to be better.  Tired of his act.

I just for once want him to take personal accountability for his specific decisions not being good enough for the team.  No we all have to be better crap, and “execution.” Josh on several occasions has said his personal level of play wasn’t good enough and that he cost the team the game.  

I want the same level of accountability from the Head Coach.  Even more importantly I want him to learn from them and be  BETTER.  You know the basis for all the growth mindset things you have preached for years.  The best accountability is a changed behavior, he has yet to change those.  

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Dislike 1

Last week: McDermott outcoached the great belichick! We are the Beasts of the East. 

this week: Mcdermott needs to go along with the whole front office. 

The overreactions are embarrassing. He built the entire team culture. Every year 31 teams don’t have a successful season. We just happened to play the best team in the league in the division round. Calm down. 

2 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Last week: McDermott outcoached the great belichick! We are the Beasts of the East. 

this week: Mcdermott needs to go along with the whole front office. 

The overreactions are embarrassing. He built the entire team culture. Every year 31 teams don’t have a successful season. We just happened to play the best team in the league in the division round. Calm down. 

Yep…100%

7 hours ago, Bockeye said:

Andy Reid

Became Head Coach in 1999 and won first SB in 2019 

Bill Belichick

Became Head Coach in 1991 and won first SB in 2001

Sean McDermott

Became Head Coach in 2017 and will win his first SB in ??

I agree, but circumstances are slightly different. Allen is the most dynamic player in the league. McDermott has his best chance at winning a SB in Allen’s prime. That window is open right now. Reid and Belichick took over a decade to get their elite QB, McD has his right now. This isn’t an irrational fire McD post. I just believe he needs a SB win in the next decade if it’s ever going to happen. 

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, but circumstances are slightly different. Allen is the most dynamic player in the league. McDermott has his best chance at winning a SB in Allen’s prime. That window is open right now. Reid and Belichick took over a decade to get their elite QB, McD has his right now. This isn’t an irrational fire McD post. I just believe he needs a SB win in the next decade if it’s ever going to happen. 

No Allen is not. Patrick Mahomes is. Allen is closing in fast, maybe even equalled him.

It's going to be very difficult to beat Mahomes. 

• Disagree 1

On 1/23/2022 at 10:32 PM, Igotbills said:

McDermott flipped the franchises around but at some point getting to the divisional round/ afc championship game aren’t enough. 

Does McDermott get 1 more shot? 2? 

if we meet KC again next year and lose again, do part ways? 

Drought of no playoffs for 18 years then playoffs 4 out of 5 years and 3 playoff wins in 7 playoff games.

Obviously some people are longing to be irrelevant again ;) 

Did Marv head right to the Superbowl? no they took steps 1987(NP)  1988 (2 Games) 1989 (1 game)1990 to 1993(we all know) 1994(NP) 1995 (2 games ) 1996 (1 game)

A lot of teams would love to be in the Bills position lets be happy we have competent people in charge :)

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No Allen is not. Patrick Mahomes is. Allen is closing in fast, maybe even equalled him.

It's going to be very difficult to beat Mahomes. 

That’s a fair opinion, but I’m going to make a bold prediction. The Chiefs won’t be in the SB every year for the next decade. Another team will represent the AFC during that time. It’s up to McD to take advantage of that. Mahomes will be difficult to overcome, but that doesn’t discount this being McD’s best chance to win. We’re certainly not better off when Mahomes retires, as Allen’s prime might slip away. We might become Manning’s Colts to Brady’s Pats, but anything less than a title with Allen would be disappointing. 

19 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

That’s a fair opinion, but I’m going to make a bold prediction. The Chiefs won’t be in the SB every year for the next decade. Another team will represent the AFC during that time. It’s up to McD to take advantage of that. Mahomes will be difficult to overcome, but that doesn’t discount this being McD’s best chance to win. We’re certainly not better off when Mahomes retires, as Allen’s prime might slip away. We might become Manning’s Colts to Brady’s Pats, but anything less than a title with Allen would be disappointing. 

If we get to 2 SB, win 1 and Allen has several MVPs under his belt I am perfectly fine being the "Manning Colts" to Mahomes and the Chiefs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Unfortunately the Bills have stunk for years. We weren’t able to go out and get a hall of fame coach. Luckily, we got McDermott.   He’s gone through a learning process just like players do.  Now we fire him??

It can’t be argued that it took Allen some time to get to this point. Last season and this, he’s been pretty phenomenal (most of the time, but not all).  So now we’re going to cry because in TWO seasons we’ve been good, we haven’t been to the SB and won???

It ain’t easy getting to a SB let alone winning one - there’s a laundry list of phenomenal QB’s who have 1 ring or none after playing years in the league. 

I agree with you though - anything less than a SB will be disappointing for Allen and the Bills.  

Edited by Bockeye

On 1/23/2022 at 7:35 PM, ArtVandalay said:

He's a loser.  Anyone that doesn't want him gone is delusional or has a loser mentality.  He's so absurdly bad.  We are a laughing stock. 

He's Marvin Lewis, Mike McCarthy or Jim Mora incarnate. Only winning 1st or 2nd round playoff games but nothing more. Allen will never get a ring because of this moronic coward.

• Thank you (+1) 1

WOW ! How soon we forget ! In 5 short years & 4 play off appearances 2 AFC championships with one of the winningest active coaches in the NFL we are asking how many more chances does he get ??

Well after 17+ years of futility and no play off appearances in that time given the turn around & now the talk of the very real possibility of a new stadium because of said turn around I'd like to think the Peg's have enough fore sight given their other teams production to let McD & company write their own ticket as to how long they stay .

I remember just a few short months back the post here by the "Bills fan" that said something about it's time to move on from McD talk about a knee jerk reaction holy cow !! 

The guy has only been a HC for 5 years now & i'm thinking no matter how much prior coordinator experience you get when your the HC & new to that you will have a certain amount of on the job learning to do before you become a Shula, or Marv .

So i'm thinking although this lose hurt a lot i with all that i have seen to this point believe that McD & company will learn from the mistakes made in this game & will bring in & reenforce those positions of weakness to become better each & every year he will be here long enough to 1 day give the city of Buffalo & the Bills their first SB trophy .

I just hope the good lord willing i'm around long enough to see it come true !! GO BILLS !!! 

Edited by T master

4 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Drought of no playoffs for 18 years then playoffs 4 out of 5 years and 3 playoff wins in 7 playoff games.

Obviously some people are longing to be irrelevant again ;) 

Did Marv head right to the Superbowl? no they took steps 1987(NP)  1988 (2 Games) 1989 (1 game)1990 to 1993(we all know) 1994(NP) 1995 (2 games ) 1996 (1 game)

A lot of teams would love to be in the Bills position lets be happy we have competent people in charge :)

And as someone who lived through those SB games, Marv never out coached any of his opponents.

HAHAHAHA

This thread is ridiculous.  Anyone who thinks that McD is in any danger of losing his job is delusional.  McD, rightfully so is on super safe ground.  Him being fired hasn't even crossed the mind of the Pegula's.  They most likely love him to death and feel extremely fortunate to have him as our head coach as the players do as well.

Yes, did they %$@* up the last 13 seconds and everyone knows it.  They will never forget those fateful 13 seconds and undoubtedly will be a stain on his career and memories of many people, but he is a damn good coach and he has led the turnaround of this franchise WHICH WILL WIN A SUPERBOWL at some point and most of us are thankful that he is the head coach of the Bills.

1 minute ago, Magox said:

HAHAHAHA

This thread is ridiculous.  Anyone who thinks that McD is in any danger of losing his job is delusional.  McD, rightfully so is on super safe ground.  Him being fired hasn't even crossed the mind of the Pegula's.  They most likely love him to death and feel extremely fortunate to have him as our head coach as the players do as well.

Yes, did they %$@* up the last 13 seconds and everyone knows it.  They will never forget those fateful 13 seconds and undoubtedly will be a stain on his career and memories of many people, but he is a damn good coach and he has led the turnaround of this franchise WHICH WILL WIN A SUPERBOWL at some point and most of us are thankful that he is the head coach of the Bills.

Can there be something in between "fire him" and "you stupid morons he's never going anywhere and you're lucky to be allowed to speak his name"?

Specifically: is it ok to expect that McD has to account for his performance with the season on the line, and put in processes or make changes to prevent something like that from happening again?  No, we're not as fans entitled to know what those things are, but it would be nice to know it's being addressed.  The fact that his stomach is turning over about the end of the game is a good start, sure, but blaming "execution" while saying "the buck stops with me" while refusing to explain what the hell he means by any of that is more than a little frustrating...

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Can there be something in between "fire him" and "you stupid morons he's never going anywhere and you're lucky to be allowed to speak his name"?

Specifically: is it ok to expect that McD has to account for his performance with the season on the line, and put in processes or make changes to prevent something like that from happening again?  No, we're not as fans entitled to know what those things are, but it would be nice to know it's being addressed.  The fact that his stomach is turning over about the end of the game is a good start, sure, but blaming "execution" while saying "the buck stops with me" while refusing to explain what the hell he means by any of that is more than a little frustrating...

He knows they screwed up and I'm sure he feels worse about it than anyone else.  He is a man of integrity and high character and I wouldn't be surprised the "execute" part has more meaning to than we know.  In any case, it was a colossal screw up and messed up a team that was good enough to be the Super Bowl winners.  The Bills are good enough to win the way we are.

With that said, 13 seconds does not and will not define a man who was at the forefront of turning this organization around.  He cut out cancers on this team and many fans were outraged that he got rid of them.  They ended up being the right decisions, he ended up creating a culture of accountability and brotherhood, he turned this franchise from a 18 year drought laughing stalk to a blossoming perennial power.  He brought in Beane who made the decision to get Josh Allen when all the "experts" and people on this board were salivating over "right" Josh.     He knew he was going to get his QB the day he was drafted, and traded away picks to make sure he had the draft capital to get his man and they did.  For that, we should all be eternally grateful for Beane for doing so.    

It hurts and it sucks that we lost, specially the way we lost.  But in no way shape or form does that take away all the things he has done with this team and I have no doubt in my mind (barring injury to Allen), that this team will reach a Super Bowl or two.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.