How many chances does McDermott have left?

Igotbills

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He's done an excellent job. From Monday through Saturday, he's very good.

But to beat the Chiefs and win the Super Bowl, this team now needs a head coach that is great on Sunday. And that's not McDermott. He's shown us that in his five seasons.

I respect your opinion, and like I already stated the game was a coin toss… I feel if we had to play them again next week, we would win…

soooo you are ready to move on? With who? What coach available is the one to take us all the way? We know what we have with McDermott, who is it that we hire that is getting us to the super bowl? I will tell ya, looks like slim pickins to me. If they are that great, chances are they are already employed 

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

One problem for McD is that he's now lost much of the fanbase and will have to win back their support - and it won't be easy.  He's already getting roasted in the national media, and even the sleepy Buffalo sports media will ratchet up the heat on him somewhat.  Future mistakes of his are sure to be magnified and compared to the mouth-breathing idiocy on display last night.  The only thing the Pegulas have consistently responded to is public embarrassment and McDermott is now in the national crosshairs.

Maybe with you; however, I hardly think you are qualified to speak for the entire fanbase

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PRBills said:

I respect your opinion, and like I already stated the game was a coin toss… I feel if we had to play them again next week, we would win…

soooo you are ready to move on? With who? What coach available is the one to take us all the way? We know what we have with McDermott, who is it that we hire that is getting us to the super bowl? I will tell ya, looks like slim pickins to me. If they are that great, chances are they are already employed 

I would give him one more season. Take the year to evaluate every potential HC candidate under the sun and replace him if he can't at least reach the Super Bowl next year.

With Allen, this team could get any head coach they want for the first time in franchise history.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

1 minute ago, Mark92 said:

It's time for McDermott to move on from Leslie Frasier.  He's a good coach and we have good defensive players but something isn't clicking.  Yes we were the #1 Defense statistically but I would argue we were more of a top 5 D.  

Defense was a paper tiger and teams knew it (no Pro Bowlers). Benefited from facing a lot of bad offenses. Good offenses had no problem moving the ball on them.

• Like (+1) 1

If you want McDermott gone you are totally insane.  To think coaches cannot make mistakes/evaluate themselves/improve is awful.  I cannot explain the defense they called with 13 seconds left but his body of work outweighs the negative by a lot.  He has proven he can change his philosophy on 4th downs, he will learn from this.   We all wish he and the rest of the staff were better prepared for this situation.  There are literally thousands of situations to be prepared for so maybe this forces them to do some additional homework/planning.  We have a good organization, blowing it up would be super dumb.

If he fires not one member of his coaching staff and we go through the same thing we did last night and like the Hail Murray pass previously before that, he should be gone. He must hold his staff accountable. This shouldn’t be a good old boy network, hire the best man for the job. If he fires not one member of his staff after last night’s game, I have serious concerns about him. This is arguably the hardest part of any head coach’s job, I get it, but it must be done.

16 hours ago, Igotbills said:

McDermott flipped the franchises around but at some point getting to the divisional round/ afc championship game aren’t enough. 

Does McDermott get 1 more shot? 2? 

if we meet KC again next year and lose again, do part ways? 

Is this a joke? We went from 17 year drought to 3 out of 4 years making playoffs with 1 of those being a game away from the SB, McDermott/Beane will figure it out and get the proper signings/draft picks here imo.

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

If he fires not one member of his coaching staff and we go through the same thing we did last night and like the Hail Murray pass previously before that, he should be gone. He must hold his staff accountable. This shouldn’t be a good old boy network, hire the best man for the job. If he fires not one member of his staff after last night’s game, I have serious concerns about him. This is arguably the hardest part of any head coach’s job, I get it, but it must be done.

But the decisions all go through McD himself. I don’t really understand the desire to fire Frazier and wanting to keep McD. That makes absolutely no sense to me. If anything, McD was worse because not only was he part of the defensive scheme, he was a part of the call to kick it deep too. 

I would understand it a little bit more if it was an offensive playcalling issue because he’s not as initimately involved there but I don’t understand it at all when it comes to the D. 

3 hours ago, section122 said:

The patriots have completely warped people's sense of reality when it comes to winning a super bowl.

Who are the best coaches in the NFL right now today?

Bill Belichick - 6 super bowls head coach for 26 years

Andy Reid - 1 super bowl, head coach for 23 seasons

Sean Payton - 1 super bowl hc for 15 years

Mike Tomlin - 1 super bowl hc for 14 years

John Harbaugh - 1 super bowl hc for 14 years

Pete Carroll - 1 super bowl hc for 16 years

Bruce Arians - 1 super bowl hc for 9 years (Brady)

The only other active coach to win a super bowl is Mike McCarthy and I don't think anyone thinks of him as a top coach.  No other active coach has a super bowl.  Not McVay, not LaFLeur, not Shanahan, not any of these other guys thought of as the best coaches in the league.

Having a competitive team with a chance to win it all every year is the goal.  The Bills have that with McD.  Yes we are all hurting today but come on, he is already what the 2nd or 3rd best coach the Bills have ever had?  Firing him would be one of the dumbest mistakes the Bills have ever made.

Can we just pin this to the top of any "McDermott" thread? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

McDermott painted himself into a corner with the way this game was lost.

Marv Levy did the same thing with regards to his 1st SB loss.

…..it is very tough shake that kind of image.

The solution is, WINNING

McD's coaching in the final 13 seconds and overtime were the situational awareness of Leodis McKelvin when he returned the kickoff against NE when we had the lead.  Its was epic in how bad it was.   How many teams have you seen in your life lose a game kicking off with the lead and 13 seconds?

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He gets one more year.  He is a loser but there is zero chance Pegula fires him. 

Flame out again next year and they can get rid of him. 

What the actual eff is wrong with people? 

• Like (+1) 3

Some people are really talking with their feelings right now......I get it I am upset to

But just think about what you are saying.    This is probably the 2nd best team in the NFL right now.....it took a super human effort by Mahommes to beat us.

This team is biult to be competative for a WHILE.....you bring a new coach into that you could get a Rex Ryan situation.....I say no to that

Brutal takes all over this board. I get it, it sucks, people wanna vent. 

McDermott is going nowhere, as it should be. After 17 years of futility and constant upheaval and new coaching staffs and front offices every 2-3 years, he and Beane have come in and made this franchise a year in and year out contender. They've built this team, they've reshaped the culture, and they've been in the playoffs (and won playoff games) four out of their five years here. 

I expect some retooling this off-season but the core elements are there and they are going to bring it home one of these years. It's going to happen. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.