How many chances does McDermott have left?

Igotbills

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Why again are noobs allowed to start threads to cause trouble?

I am noob to posting yes. I have followed this board daily multiple times a day for a long time. 

I never said fire McDermott. I simply wanted to start a discussion. Granted, I should have waited to start this topic as everyone’s emotions were all over the place. For that, yes I am a “noob”.

Situational coaching is McDermott’s biggest flaw. If we don’t see improvement in this area and it again cost us a game in next years playoffs, do we do nothing and stay the course? 

I would love nothing more than to see coach improve his game management, similar to his improvement on being too conservative, but…. if he doesn’t it’s something we at least have to debate about. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The top coaches are rarely available. We're not getting Andy Reid if we fired McDermott.

Understood, and I don't think you fire McDermott unless you've already identified his replacement and are convinced it's an upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Steelers won a SB 14 years ago, lost another 12 years ago.  They aren't going to win another with Tomlin next year, or the year after that....that's consistency.

Maybe not a great example.

Their qb situation is much different than ours.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

You're confused.  Josh Allen is far more responsible for that than McDermott.  If Beane had not drafted Josh Allen, we'd be the Jets, or at best the Dolphins, right now.

We differ on our viewpoint. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Understood, and I don't think you fire McDermott unless you've already identified his replacement and are convinced it's an upgrade. 

It's not so much about this as understanding that McDermott's ceiling might be nothing more than a marginally better Marvin Lewis in that he can get teams to the playoffs consistently, maybe win a game each year but that's it.

This is why 2022 will be the true test because if the Bills get to the playoffs again and lose to the chiefs yet again or someone else then you have to seriously considering making a change.

• Agree 1

I didn’t read through 12 pages, barely made it through the first… Are you all delusional? Maybe you are new here, bandwagon fans? Im really tryna figure out if this is a troll post or what it is???

let me rehash the last 20 years for you… WE WERE BOTTOM DWELLERS!!! NO playoffs, for how long? Most exciting time of the year was before the season, draft, free agency, oooohhhh the hope that we felt every year!!!

in my opinion Mcdermott is our coach for the foreseeable future. You don’t fire a winner. Unless he really diverts and we have a losing season or two. 

the Chiefs outplayed us. It was an AMAZING game, and seriously a play here, a play there, a coin toss and we would be discussing the Super Bowl right now

my gawd, i was soooo wound up last night losing my *****, im still extremely upset but you have me feeling like the voice of reason here. That game was LITERALLY a coin toss. If we play them 10 times, we win 5…. Move on from McD 😂😂😂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He gets one more year.  He is a loser but there is zero chance Pegula fires him. 

Flame out again next year and they can get rid of him. 

A loser that keeps going to the playoffs? 

15 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

There will be a ton of Bills fans who disagree with you here, mostly because they are afraid we will screw up the hiring of his replacement.

So they assume better to stick with the one you know forever.

Some men remain married to the wrong woman for 30 years based on the same thinking.

And some men divorce their wives for a stripper cause their wives only went to the playoffs 4 years in a row. 

6 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

This is the worst Buffalo loss of all time. Wide right, no goal, and MCM were terrible, but they weren't due to a series of completely indefensible coaching blunders. 

Wide Right is still #1 by a pretty wide margin.

IMO this "13 Seconds" loss is 2nd. Which is still really saying something because there have been some crushers as we all know.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

You're still in drought mode. It's time to raise your expectations.

If we get to a point where the team is maxed out maybe.  Only instance they work were imo short sided decisions.  Tampa to Gruden, Philly to Kelly than Pederson.  I think both franchises wouldnt have had more sustained success with Dungy and Ried.  Rarely, does firing head coaches improve anything when the team is already a winning team.  

1 hour ago, mannc said:

You're confused.  Josh Allen is far more responsible for that than McDermott.  If Beane had not drafted Josh Allen, we'd be the Jets, or at best the Dolphins, right now.

I’m sorry but McD is the one who helped us break our 17-18 year playoff drought with Tyrod Taylor and Nathan peterman at QB. McD deserves more credit than what your giving him

8 minutes ago, PRBills said:

I didn’t read through 12 pages, barely made it through the first… Are you all delusional? Maybe you are new here, bandwagon fans? Im really tryna figure out if this is a troll post or what it is???

let me rehash the last 20 years for you… WE WERE BOTTOM DWELLERS!!! NO playoffs, for how long? Most exciting time of the year was before the season, draft, free agency, oooohhhh the hope that we felt every year!!!

in my opinion Mcdermott is our coach for the foreseeable future. You don’t fire a winner. Unless he really diverts and we have a losing season or two. 

the Chiefs outplayed us. It was an AMAZING game, and seriously a play here, a play there, a coin toss and we would be discussing the Super Bowl right now

my gawd, i was soooo wound up last night losing my *****, im still extremely upset but you have me feeling like the voice of reason here. That game was LITERALLY a coin toss. If we play them 10 times, we win 5…. Move on from McD 😂😂😂

He's done an excellent job. From Monday through Saturday, he's very good.

But to beat the Chiefs and win the Super Bowl, this team now needs a head coach that is great on Sunday. And that's not McDermott. He's shown us that in his five seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm huge McD backer. Have been ever since he changed the culture year one and somehow took that team to the playoffs. 

I'm having trouble with last night. His situational football has never been very good but to lose the lead with 13 seconds left is indefensible. Why are we rushing four guys with 13 seconds? Why do we not have 9 guys in coverage? We stopped coaching. I'm just sick about it.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I’m sorry but McD is the one who helped us break our 17-18 year playoff drought with Tyrod Taylor and Nathan peterman at QB. McD deserves more credit than what your giving him

Yet we had a nice schedule this year yet failed to make the number one seed. We saw the Chargers and Colts fall to the wayside in week 17 (both bad match ups for us), followed by the Packers and the Bucs. Everything was aligning for a run at the SB despite our poor performances in the regular season and yet, again, we failed to get over the line.

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Wide Right is still #1 by a pretty wide margin.

IMO this "13 Seconds" loss is 2nd. Which is still really saying something because there have been some crushers as we all know.

I can see that being #1 of course.

However, I think last night was like if we had made the fg in SB 25, were celebrating, then the giants still had 13 seconds and marv had a stoke.

One problem for McD is that he's now lost much of the fanbase and will have to win back their support - and it won't be easy.  He's already getting roasted in the national media, and even the sleepy Buffalo sports media will ratchet up the heat on him somewhat.  Future mistakes of his are sure to be magnified and compared to the mouth-breathing idiocy on display last night.  The only thing the Pegulas have consistently responded to is public embarrassment and McDermott is now in the national crosshairs.

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

McDermott won one more game than Rex Ryan did, with essentially the same roster.  Andy Dalton and Tyler Boyd deserve as much credit as McDermott for breaking the drought. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I’m sorry but McD Andy Dalton is the one who helped us break our 17-18 year playoff drought with Tyrod Taylor and Nathan peterman at QB. McD deserves more credit than what your giving him

Fixed it for you. ;)

I'm half kidding. McDermott was the guy we needed to help build a solid foundation. But now we need a guy to take us over the top.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Keeping a winning coach isn't exactly lowering my expectations. 

Only being willing to consider replacing the head coach until after two losing seasons while having Superman at quarterback is having horribly low expectations/standards.

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

If we get to a point where the team is maxed out maybe.  Only instance they work were imo short sided decisions.  Tampa to Gruden, Philly to Kelly than Pederson.  I think both franchises wouldnt have had more sustained success with Dungy and Ried.  Rarely, does firing head coaches improve anything when the team is already a winning team.  

So you think Bengals should've kept Marv Lewis?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.