How many chances does McDermott have left?

Igotbills

8 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I would have fired him if we stumbled and didn’t make the playoffs. This loss will stick to him forever. He gets 1 more year and if they don’t get to the super bowl he’s gone. You cannot waste years when you have this much talent on the team. 

ive disliked McDermott since he punted the ball in the colts snow game years ago when we needed to win the game and not tie. We got a miracle to go our way and we won the game but right then and there I never felt fully comfortable that this is the guy that is going to win a Super Bowl. It’s ok he got the team on the right track but I’m not going to sit back and let this guy make ridiculously bad late game decisions year after year. 

Who do you replace him with.  He turned around a miserable franchise.   4 playoffs in 5 years.  You want him gone if no SB next year?????

You may want to change your name to overreactbillsfan1.

We should follow the Steelers example for handling head coaches.  Changing head coaches every few years doesn't work.  We have a great coach.   He will continue to learn and develop. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, phypon said:

I understand your point, I really do.  I think he deserves 2 more years though.  I've been more harsh on the coordinators up to this point.  I do think McD should have taken over the D for this game.  I think (if he didn't) that if he didn't it was because he wanted to give Frasier a chance to prove himself because he's a HC'ing candidate.  Pure speculation on my part obviously.  I do think that Frasier should be gone after this one no matter what.  As for McD, I give him a 1 or 2 year pass.  This one really, really hurts. :( 

What makes you think he didn't take over? McD was fired by Reid for a reason. He only had 1 good scoring defense before he came to the Bills and that team got absolutely wrecked in the biggest game. He isn't the defensive guru that some people make him out to be. 

5 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Who do you replace him with.  He turned around a miserable franchise.   4 playoffs in 5 years.  You want him gone if no SB next year?????

We should follow the Steelers example for handling head coaches.  Changing head coaches every few years doesn't work.  We have a great coach.   He will continue to learn and develop. 

I’m beyond pissed at the complete meltdown by the coaching in those 13 seconds but this is a good take.  But McDermott has to stop playing scared or we will never win the big one.  And same with Beane and not adding a piece to put us over the top.  Scared from top to bottom.  

• Agree 1

They’ll probably fire the ST coordinator as a sacrificial lamb but otherwise there won’t be any consequences from last night.

McDermott is Mike Zimmer with a better QB.  He’s well-organized and focused but lacks elite intelligence or strategic thinking.  That means he’ll need elite coordinators and he doesn’t have those right now although Daboll is close.  

McDermott’s natural tendency is to avoid risks and wait for the other team to mess up.  His players on defense have taken in that mentality - they would rather sit back and wait for the contact than aggressively attack the ball.  Hence getting dragged for five yards routinely. This is the personality of their coach: do your job, stay disciplined, hope for the best.

Frankly above all else it’s just - lame.

But at the end of the day, always remember these guys are basically high-achieving gym teachers.  

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’m beyond pissed at the complete meltdown by the coaching in those 13 seconds but this is a good take.  But McDermott has to stop playing scared or we will never win the big one.  And same with Beane and not adding a piece to put us over the top.  Scared from top to bottom.  

Keep mind this is the first Job as HC and GM for McBeane.  They have done a great job so far, but they will keep improving.

Edited by longtimebillsfan

This is harder than many on this board seem to believe. 2 things are true, McDermott is a good coach…. And McDermott is a scared coach, who point blank period doesn’t trust his players to make plays until he is left with no other option. This game should have been in Buffalo, he coached terrified on MNF, lost to Jacksonville, and got boat raced by Carson Wentz. Every game he coaches waiting for the other team to make an error, instead of letting his players make plays. It’s how we lost those games above and how we lost tonight. The inexcusable 4th and 1 punt, the run call before it, many run plays half. The entire defensive scheme, 13 seconds most of all. All of it, was in the hopes that they would make the mistake. He coaches to take the game out of his players hands. The kind of mindset that just might be, good, but never good enough 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

What makes you think he didn't take over? McD was fired by Reid for a reason. He only had 1 good scoring defense before he came to the Bills and that team got absolutely wrecked in the biggest game. He isn't the defensive guru that some people make him out to be. 

I don't know if he took over or not.  Kind of said that in my post.  If he did take over, I hope we find out.  Would be good info to have.  On the flip side, if he did take over, we need a new DC more than ever.

Just now, phypon said:

I don't know if he took over or not.  Kind of said that in my post.  If he did take over, I hope we find out.  Would be good info to have.  On the flip side, if he did take over, we need a new DC more than ever.

I don't think he would ever admit it. Harbough is one of the few coaches that openly talks about their mistakes. McD is more of a "we're not gonna talk about the specifics"

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Indy. Those losses, two at home, completely murdered this season. I don't think this game is as close if the Bills are at home. But there was some kind of dysfunction through the Tampa game. Maybe it the vaccine distractions. Maybe it was some personnel troubles on the OL. Maybe there were some other locker room dramatics. Whatever the case, yes, they smoked a number of the lesser teams on their schedule. But they were not physically prepared in the three games I listed first. And I'd also add that I think the coaching staff slow played a lot of the early season to mask their preferred play calls/formations/strategies.

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

There will be a ton of Bills fans who disagree with you here, mostly because they are afraid we will screw up the hiring of his replacement.

So they assume better to stick with the one you know forever.

Some men remain married to the wrong woman for 30 years based on the same thinking.

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

There will be a ton of Bills fans who disagree with you here, mostly because they are afraid we will screw up the hiring of his replacement.

So they assume better to stick with the one you know forever.

Some men remain married to the wrong woman for 30 years based on the same thinking.

Thanks for speaking for the "ton" of Bills fans. Tons vs the vocal few MORONS who just complain about any and everything. I stopped checking here during the game cuz the vocal few MORONS sap the joy out of watching what was a great game. Some of you must live miserable lives. You know who you are.

Labillbacker is a prime example. "The only dlinemen that gave a damn tonight was Ed" mostly negative crap, even in victory. All season long. 

Was quite refreshing not to read crap like that while actually enjoying a great football game.

PEACE.

11 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

This is harder than many on this board seem to believe. 2 things are true, McDermott is a good coach…. And McDermott is a scared coach, who point blank period doesn’t trust his players to make plays until he is left with no other option. This game should have been in Buffalo, he coached terrified on MNF, lost to Jacksonville, and got boat raced by Carson Wentz. Every game he coaches waiting for the other team to make an error, instead of letting his players make plays. It’s how we lost those games above and how we lost tonight. The inexcusable 4th and 1 punt, the run call before it, many run plays half. The entire defensive scheme, 13 seconds most of all. All of it, was in the hopes that they would make the mistake. He coaches to take the game out of his players hands. The kind of mindset that just might be, good, but never good enough 

It's more then this.

We have TOO MANY HOLES we have had 4 plus Years to fill - especially on both lines.   

Picking 2 DEs back to back is so embarrassing looking back now.  

I won't make a big deal that we could have just drafted Justin Jefferson - Beane is perfect and Diggs was the only option.  Don't question it.  It's sacrilegious around here.  

There are more misses then hits now.   

Losses and setbacks happened this year that should not have. 

Josh Allen.  This whole dam team is Josh Allen.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

there can't be zero punishment even if we don't fire him.

what if mcdermott made a public apology to the fans and the team and admit that he was a bonehead for the 13 seconds?  then, he outlines a plan to improve his situational game management.  the pegulas will hire some nerd to write a software that simulates gameday decision making, and mcdermott promises to spend 8 hours a day on the simulator until it's ingrained into him and he instinctively and immediately knows the best decisions to make for every situation.  so 13 seconds comes up again? his brain goes beep-bop-boop, squib kick and taking holding penalties to kill the clock.

even the most heartless of us who want McD fired will probably accept a public apology and a plan of action to improve his loser instincts for situational game management.

the more I think about it, the more I like it.

a public apology that tells the truth of the bungling of the 13 seconds, and a realistic plan of action to improve.

that's what allows this relationship to continue.  otherwise, the fans and team won't ever fully trust this head coach again.

3 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

And what do you do if he doesn’t learn his lesson again next year? You only have so long of a window with some of this group. Ten years from now Josh may still be here but most wont. This happens all the time with coaches when they come into a bad program and they turn the culture around and they get everyone to buy into working hard but they aren’t good enough to take the team to the promise land. So yes if the Bills don’t get past KC again next year then the biggest thing that needs to change is McDermott. 

McD is not going anywhere any time soon...

But that does not take him off the hook for those 13 seconds...That was a debacle and it's his job to figure out how to win when you have a 91% probability to do so...This loss is squarely on the Coaching staff...The game was won...And they blew it...B-)

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

And what do you do if he doesn’t learn his lesson again next year? You only have so long of a window with some of this group. Ten years from now Josh may still be here but most wont. This happens all the time with coaches when they come into a bad program and they turn the culture around and they get everyone to buy into working hard but they aren’t good enough to take the team to the promise land. So yes if the Bills don’t get past KC again next year then the biggest thing that needs to change is McDermott. 

I believe McDermott should be our coach for the long term. 

You and I just have opposing views.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.